View Single Post
      04-10-2014, 05:51 AM   #9
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganeTrophyGuy View Post
LOL - like most of my other posts, I'm afraid I killed this thread too.

Just wanted to add that I just did a test drive of the Alpina B3 which has the Akrapovic exhaust as standard. Though the car makes more than 400hp and has been tested doing 0-100kph in 4 flat, I am happy to say that at least IMHO the M135 with M Performance exhaust sounds much sportier at almost every rpm level (also a bit louder, but in a very refined yet sporty way). Though the B3 is a great car and the steering feel is one of the best electric units I've ever driven (reminds me of my Boxster S which was hydraulic), I think there is just too much insulation between the driver and the engine to really hear anything going on below 5000rpm. Perhaps another part of the problem is that Alpina refuses to resort to using the stereo for piping in artificial engine noise like the M3/4/5/6 and M135.

Anyhow, getting back into my M135 I felt that at least in terms of sharpness of throttle response (possible due to it being 170kg lighter than the B3) and the excellent aural feedback from the M Performance exhaust, the car FEELS, ACTS and SOUNDS sportier than the Alpina at all but the very highest speeds (I had the B3 up to about 220kph which is about the point the car really started showing off its strengths, but thats well over double to posted speed limit and I didn't want to test my luck with the salesman!). The new B3 is simply light years ahead of my old E46 B3S, but honestly speaking I think the M135 is the deal of the century in the BMW lineup, one of the best cars they've made in decades!
Thanks MTG for your reports,
I always enjoy reading them, you describe things perfectly. Im in the very early stages of ownership, only 200 miles in fact, and im already very taken with the M135i. The creamy smoothness of the car, is an everlasting impression i have of it. The torque is available so early on, it beggars belief. Ive owned many expensive cars, and when i ordered this car, i felt like i had taken a step backwards, maybe getting older and more sensible ?, but upon collecting it, this couldnt be further from the truth. The car has quality and performance to match far more expensive vehicles, and i feel i have found a hidden gem, and that its almost a secret, that only a few of us share. Thinking of the MPE myself, and have read your posts with great interest. I think its obvious you feel this is the right exhaust for the car, not too loud to affect cruising, but loud enough to be fun, with crackles and pops when needed ?. The alternative for me would be the BCS exhaust we have over here, which is a full system, if we so wish, with sports cat, but im not sure if its needed after your reports ?, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0