09-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #3
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 3 Series F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfleming View Post
I recently put cruise control on my F20, and although I had no previous experience of eSys coding, I managed to get that installed & running first time too.

The steps I went through were:

Bought the eSys cable from Amazon (OHP 10122 OBD2 Diagnostic Adapter Connector) along with a USB to Ethernet adapter as my laptop didn't have one (UGREEN USB Ethernet , USB Network Adapter ,USB 2.0 to RJ45 Lan Adapter).
Downloaded the eSys software. I used this guide - I'm sure other guides are available, I'm just stating what worked for me.
Bought the cruise control switches from eBay. There are several different types depending on what steering wheel you have - I used RealOEM to find the correct buttons from my non-Sport wheel. Note although I had a multi function steering wheel (MFSW) I only had the 'LIM' speed limiter button - so the correct part for my car was 61319261859. This is the only BMW part I needed.
I disconnected the battery at this stage before the airbag removal. I'm less worried about exploding the airbag, more about the horn going off during removal!
For the physical install I used this guide.
My airbag was a pain to remove using the slits, so I ended up doing it the way the guide suggested (also shown here:
which was surprisingly quick & I didn't break/rip anything )
The removal of my old switches was really easy, and putting the new switches in was plug & play, then pop the airbag back in & the steering column trims back on - physical job done. Reconnect the battery at this stage, and start the car up. the only errors you'll get at this stage are to reset the time & date. The cruise won't work yet, and your new 'SET' button on the left will act as your old 'LIM' button did.

Coding...
In short, I added code 544 to the Vehicle Order (VO, or in German FA). Using the above mentioned guide again, Page 28 onwards, I fired up eSys, selected my car (F020, which is a F20 1 series) and followed the guide. All was crystal clear in the process right up to the coding of individual ECU's - that's where it became 'open to interpretation', but I used the information from the cruise control retrofit guide to code the following ECU's:
- FEM (body)
- ICM
- BCKOMBI (the instruments, sometimes just called Kombi, but it was labelled BCKOMBI in my car)

At this stage I got errors related to tyre pressure control as it needed to be reset (the instruments forget what temporary information they have stored, like bord computer / trip / tyre pressures.

Quick test drive afterwards & cruise works perfectly, I get all the correct messages on the display, the green cruise control warning light and the red or green marker on the speedometer. The jockey wheel works perfectly too for increasing / decreasing the speed. All in all I'm very happy with this, especially as the cost was under £100 (incluing the eSys kit, which I will undoubtedly use again).

Hope this helps someone, but post a message if you need any clarifications.

Hi bfleming, excelent write up. I`m just about doing the same in muy F30 ( waiting for the BMW part) Last part missing is coding. I'm afraid on doing something wrong. Can you please deep down on coding procedure?

*What does it mean "added code 544" how did yo do it?
*How do you code each ECU? Is it doing FDL Coding?
Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0