View Single Post
      10-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #17
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
Thanks for all the comments, and thanks mods for moving it to the appropriate forum. In answer to some of the comments, yes, BMW CPOs M cars, I was actually looking on bmwusa.com. I need a sedan-have kids. I looked at e90 M3s, but a lot of them are $20k more (but also a lot less mileage).

My 2008 e90 has been relatively trouble free-only one HPFP fixed under warranty, but I also only have about 15K miles on the clock. Most of the M5s I have looked at seriously have high 20k-30k miles. Also I have usually stayed away from and advised others to stay away from buying a used "sports" car, as you never know how the previous owner drove and maintained the car. I think the M5 may be in a different class. I'm also tired of worrying about taking mods off and such when going to the dealer. I think that I may be able to leave an M5 "as is".

I haven't been able to find any problems with the e60s. Seems like I remember something about the previous gen M5 suffering engine failures at 50-70K. Looks like the CPO warranty is good to 100K, but I worry about the maintenance. Long ago when I was younger, my e46 325ci used to cost me about $1K every time it went in for service (needed front brakes every 10-12K).

looks like I have some thinking to do. I appreciate all of the helpful comments.
(This is in regards to driving old M's in general, not specifically the e60 model.)

I don't consider anything under 50k miles as worth worrying about.

There's hardly ever any significant work before 80k, and usually nothing major before 150k - which is usually when you start to get 'groups' of things that need fixing.

Unless you plan on going to the dealer for all the minor maintenance along the way - in which case, get the lube.

Just think about all the old M's driving around with over 100k on the clock.
They're usually not operated by the richest people, and those folks can afford to daily them.
The key is to NOT pay 'more money than brains cash' for dealer work, when your typical mom n' pop shop can maintain your car for much less.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0