View Single Post
      01-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #128
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Actually Audi is about to surpass BMW with engines, it looks like the I5 turbo is going to be the new bread winner for Audi, the Q3 coming to the states will have it (strange that the Q5 won't or the A4).
Will it? I strongly doubt that it will, unless you've seen some mention of a confirmation of that from Audi from a reliable source. The Q3 vail being shown in Detroit is not a production vehicle, if that's what you were basing your info on.

Quote:
But I would imagine Audi's plans are to put the 5 into all their cars as the high performance engine (not talking S models either), and we know that engine can product 340 horsepower although it looks like it will be more like 310-320 horsepower for the base cars. Personally I would take that turbo 5 over the turbo 6 N54/N55
I strongly doubt they will do this, actually. I would expect the I5 TFSI to remain a niche engine, if it continues for the long term at all. Meanwhile the V6 TFSI is being used in just about every one of their models now, in some form or another. The I5 TFSI may remain for PQ35 (Golf platform) based high performance offerings, but even that I would say is no guarantee. Frankly I will not be surprised at all to see 300hp+ 2.0 TFSI I4 from VAG in the next couple years.
Appreciate 0