06-28-2019, 10:31 PM   #30
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferboy2312 View Post
I agree with much of what you are saying. Your time frames are conjecture, but reasonable, except for the legal stuff and insurance stuff. What are the laws, the liabilities, the insurance rules when autonomous vehicles get into a crash of some sort? That has not been sorted out. Until it is, I think the car companies may be leery of producing fully autonomous vehicles, even though they have the technology to do it.

I think there will be a long "messy middle" where you will have both autonomous vehicles and human driven vehicles on the road at the same time, which will cause accidents. Eventually no one will drive cars, which will be safer. I suppose that few will actually own an autonomous car, they will simply use a service that picks them up and takes them to their destination.
I agree with you regarding all the legal and insurance issues that will rise with autonomous vehicles. After the ethics, how they will deal when a fatal crash occur...the car manufacturer, the owner, the driver, the sensors manufacturer, the driver engineer, the DOT because the road marking was not visible, the GPS because it was down during the accident...I can see a new generation of lawyers making money with all these new situations
Appreciate 0