View Single Post
      06-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #66
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Youre' right, they won't put a V8 in the 4 series. But consider a potential M-ified 6 cylinder gasoline engine along the lines of the M-tuned N57S diesel used in the new "M 50d" models. The 50i name might befit products with such an engine, if it exists at some future date.
I do not forsee the V8 being placed in a 4er or 3er for that matter also.
However BMW are looking at M Performance Automobiles for the lower end of the market mimicing the M550d and X5 and X6M50d with the 3er , X3 and upcoming X4 with a performance diesel concept based upon the diesel four cylinder.

Some of the titles are purely for future protection.
If you take eDrive for example this was the name Mercedes-Benz intended to use for the electric SLS AMG but BMW had already owned the trademark hence why it is now E-Cell.

•X2, X4
The name of the upcoming BMW X models. X4 is a four door Sport Activity Coupe in the sense of the larger X6.
X2 is not a smaller X4 in fact it is not a Coupe , mainly a lower roofed SAV and will be the first BMW SAV to make production as a 3dr and 5dr.
X2 will be RWD/AWD whilst the next generation X1 moves to the UKL FWD/AWD platform.

•M1, M2, M7, M10
Protective: Some brands have tried to use M trademarks.
M2 is the guise given to the future M variant of the 2er Coupe.
M7 might become a possibility.

•2 Series
The 2er will be BMW's designation for its entry Coupe that will replace the 1er coupe. The name not only conjours up nostaligia with the classic 2002. But leads the split of the BMW models into individual series.

•2 Series Active Tourer
Currently under deliberation in Munich, The 2er Active Tourer mixes a Sporthatch with a Touring. Think of the classic 1600/2002 Touring meeting a Hyundai Veloster - single rear door and all. But purely RWD and for a BMW another new niche to investigate.

•Compactive, Compactive Tourer, Gran Tourer, Urbanic
Some trademarks given to the smaller upcoming revolutionary FWD BMW family - City Compactive is the 3dr and 5dr Hatch, which will bring BMW style and driveability to the small car segment thanks to a combination of eye catching design, overall appeal and Front wheel driven dynamics. Compactive Tourer is the FWD BMW MPV that is currently in testing. Urbanic is a line within the FWD family.

Gran Tourer is BMW's term for potential Shooting Brake concepts which could spawn the BMW 6er , 4er and 2er Shooting Brakes.

•E1, E2, E3, E4, E5, E6, E7, E8, E9
Every BMW trademark is designated from 1-9. These could be potential electric variants of the current line to be sold along the regular line as a more accessable approach to electric mobility for those that cannot reach for the BMWi brand.

•i1, i2, i3, i4, i5, i6, i7, i8, i9The BMWi cars.

•Z8
Protective: Other manufacturers have tried to use Z8.

•GC, Gran Coupe, BMW Gran Coupe, 6er Gran CoupeDesignated to BMW's four door Coupe models namely the 6er and upcoming 4er.

•SportMode, CoolMode, Air Collar, BMW Turbotec, Drive eCharged, LifeDrive, i Pedelec
The first four describe forthcoming technology to be implemented into series cars.
BMWi is not just about the cars but also the solution to achieve sustainable mobility. BMWi is not just about getting to A-B in a car but other methods of transportion including cycling and walking.

•Corniche, Shadow, Wraith, Cloud, Dawn
Corniche is the name given to the Drophead Coupe variant of the Ghost.
A current Ghost has a waiting list of about twelve months , expect the Corniche to initially be higher
Attached Images