dishy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by philisme View Post
One guy on this forum contacted ZF France and they replied :

Quote:
"I come to you pursuant to information that I requested from our support department in Germany for your noise when going backwards.

Cases of damage planetary gears train No. 3 can produce this noise.

No information was given to me on the lifetime of a gearbox experiencing this problem.

We advise you to get closer to BMW for support for this repair.
And then, ZF France contacted his dealership to report this problem to BMW France. And to confirm that ZF will replace the gearbox under warranty.

Do you have this whistling too ?
I don't know about you but that seems like A* customer service! I'm very pleased with ZF's response on that one!

FYI - there are Gen 1 and Gen 2 8HP gearboxes. Gen 2 went into production mid 2014. So a 2013 BMW must only have Gen 1 8HP. There are some key differences. The main difference that stood out for me was that the Gen2 has the ability to go immediately into engine shut off when the car comes to a stop. Gen1 has to wait 1.5s. I therefore devise that I have a Gen2 in my 2015 M135i because I have had engine shut off (ASS) when the car still has inertia from coming to a stop. The result is (this has happened twice) when coming to a stop, the engine shuts off, but since my foot is not hard on the brake (I feather the brake when coming to a stop so it's smooth), the gearbox has detected movement and restarted the engine a split second after shut off.
I think we should try and separate out the issues between the gen1 and gen2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_M135i View Post
It is a bit slow on the 2-1 gear change for me. Particularly coming up to a give way sign at an intersection, I move forward slowly while checking each direction which only takes a split second to confirm no traffic. I accelerate but it is still in second and it just loads up the torque converter, then dumps it into first and chirps the rears... It's a little annoying, but I just figure its the price you pay for driving an auto..... should've gone manual lol
I don't experience this jerkyness. However I have experienced frequent 1-2-1-2-1 shifting when I've been parking in multi storey car parks. Even so, change is smooth. To work around this 1-2-1-2-1 I move the gear lever to manual and keep the car in 1st. PS the auto is way better than the manual in a few ways - better fuel economy and better 0-100kmh time are just two
The only time I've found the gearbox to jerk is when in sports mode. The gear changes are aggressive in sports mode I have found.

Last edited by dishy; 08-05-2015 at 01:59 AM..
Appreciate 0