11-03-2021, 01:13 AM   #46
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
That's a ridiculous premise. Getting THAT much power out on the street, you'd be wrapped around a pole within minutes. Anything that makes more than 350 ft*lbs under 2,500 RPM and weigh south of 4,000 lbs will already be way too much to handle "on the street."

And unless you "live your life quarter mile at a time," there's nothing south of 7 figures that will beat a 3 motored electric, so what is the point?

Yeah. One will need to rev it out past 6,000 RPM to get the majority of the power. But that IS the point. This motor is going to be very well suited for track use, even in its NA form, and it's got more than enough grunt based on the size of the engine and the weight of the car that it's not going to struggle getting from corner to corner on a canyon road nor is it going to get "blown away" by your average Civic with a turbo, IF you even have a remote inkling on how to actually drive a car.

Plus it comes with an automatic transmission, so you'll always be in the right gear, at the right time, within milliseconds, the moment you stomp past the kick-down. It's crazy to think anyone would prefer the muffled noise coming out of a turbo over a high-revving NA V8.

This is why we can't have nice things, and the next generation of performance cars are all going to be electric.
I have to disagree

I had a couple of cars making 350lb a about 3000 rm and south of 4000lbs, a few Audi's the S5 and the S4 to name a few, and didn't cut it for me, I can definitely tell difference between those and even the old M3 when driving on a back road, even freeway ramp etc.

I am not talking about straight line speed. yes, Tesla goes faster than anything on a straight line time and over again, but not around the bends, not on a canyon road... drive one on a twisty road and it's not a pleasant experience with unsettling weight and chassis that's all over the place and zero road feedback. It also runs out of charge rapidly if you are going up hills on a hot day with AC...may have to walk back home from the summit.

re. sound I am with you, didn't I say turbo was muffled... but the vette isn't the best sounding NA car IMO...it is throaty... but it sounds a bit coarse and unrefined next to a R8 V10 or a GT3 RS, it is not a high reving engine either with a redline at just 6500 rpm which is ironically lower than the M3's redline....again great and desirable car for the price for sure but you get what you pay for. there is no miracles or unicorns here.

Last edited by speedmaster20d; 11-03-2021 at 01:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
harry.h65.50