View Single Post
      09-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #61
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
They have been "playing" with a tri-turbo diesel and petrol, and no offense to your friend they will not tell you this on a factory tour.... the people giving the tour have less knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes than most people on this forum.

If your friend had a behind the scenes tour, that is a different story.

BMW is trying to get the most power and efficiency out of the least fuel, so anything is fair game.

A tri-turbo makes sense as one can supply the engine with air at higher RPMS- in gas to keep it going and diesel to raise the red line.

The big down fall is expense and weight.

BMW eliminated a turbo on the N54 to create the N55 to save money without losing performance, so the idea of the 3 turbos has always left me a bit puzzled in the grand scheme.

A turbo and super charger (with a electromechanical clutch) makes more sense to me from a cost and design concept.

-M
He is a GM for a East Coast BMW Store, and has been for many years, and knows little about the tech side of life, and was very clear about what was revealed. I'm doing some consulting with his store, and will be driving the new X6M this week, and will do my best to find out more for all of us. So just hang on, and I will follow-up accordingly.
Appreciate 0