View Single Post
      07-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #10
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
When I brought my new-to-me i3 BEV into the local dealership for a warranty issue back in May, they tried to sell me the complete maintenance package for about $700. I was due for the two-year brake fluid change and dealer inspection, which would cost me a smidge over $300. By upgrading to the complete package, I could get free scheduled services for the remainder of my warranty (17 months) for "only"$700.

I asked the service advisor why I should pay $700 for a $300 service? The reason was because it covers all oil/filter changes, air filters, and every other scheduled service. I'd be saving money. I asked when the next scheduled service was due on my car to see if they were awake that it was an electric car, and the answer was that another brake fluid change was due in 24 months...7 months after the package expires. The advisor laughed it off about forgetting that my i3 BEV didn't have an engine, but you have to wonder how many people not familiar with their vehicle's scheduled service charts would have paid for this "deal" to save money?

You can take it to the bank that any car dealer is doing a free once-over on any car they put on a lift, trying to sell additional non-warranty "gravy" work. The head mechanic pointed out that my car was down to 4mm of tread on the rear tires, trying to sell them to me (at a surprisingly fair price). I only owned the car for a week at the time, and was happy that the low tires (that I already knew about) were all that they could find wrong with it.....