12-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #30
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat View Post
+1 and since you can buy the X5 for less than the 5-series and the X3 less than the 3 series, that transition is happening.

I will admit, when I realized that the base price of an X5 was less than the 5, I felt this was backwards, after all the X5 appears more luxurious and is simply more vehicle for the money. This doesn't change the fact that I strongly prefer a car.

I think part of the reason is that people want to be safe, and buying a larger heavier vehicle provides this.
I'm not sure that larger and heavier necessarily translate into safe though I agree this is the view held by the average car buyer on this side of the world at least. If there is an accident, maybe a lil' bit better than a smaller, lighter vehicle, but if the measure of safety begins with a look at accident avoidance as the primary goal, which must be easier to achieve with a smaller, lighter, better-handling, better-braking vehicle, all other things being equal, then smaller, lighter should be also safer, shouldn't it? If an SUV leaves the road, it's more likely than not going to flip, massively complicating things.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.

Last edited by Yogijet; 12-14-2010 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0