View Single Post
      09-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #3
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

My M-Sport brakes are fine, but I have had a lot of experience with brake issues on other brakes earlier.

-Air in the brake fluid will cause a spongy/springy feel and longer pedal travel. Pumping the pedal will not help. It never gets really firm.
-Old brake fluid feels fine up to a point when it boils, and can cause sudden brake loss.
-"Pad knock back" can cause the pads to go away from the discs. First pedal application is scary, with very long travel. Braking again feels fine.
-Overheated pads can become soft and slippery. Typical symptoms are long pedal travel and increased pedal effort. After some driving (a few days), the outer layer of the pads will wear away, and the pedal feel goes back to normal.
-Glazed pads can also happen for other reasons than overheating, like driving in a lot of road salt with too long time between braking hard.

Sometimes the brakes can be fixed by running a bedding procedure. Find a deserted road, and repeat braking from around 100 km/h - 20 km/h, 8-10 times with brisk acceleration in between. Then keep driving for about 10 minutes without touching the brakes. Do not stop during the procedure. Notice that some people get nauseous doing this, and make sure no cars are following close behind you.
Appreciate 0