View Single Post
      06-11-2006, 02:30 AM   #8
BiggieJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335 ZSPZPPOPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhallball
Now im wondering, since ive known this for some time. Why is the 05 and earlier TL's rated at 270hp and 238 torque but the "new" 07 models with same body style rated at 258hp and slightly lower torque. Ive heard from my friend that the TL's handling suffered from the excess power so they lowered the hp. but then i heard from others that it was bs and they just put that on paper but the engine is the same.
theyre still the same engines but rated using the "new SAE" standarized test. this tests just standardizes some of the varibales for hp/tq ratings. most japanese cars have taken hit on their hp on paper but theyre still the same cars.

with the TL, i think on 2006 models and up, they incorperated the new SAE standard and also because of severe torque steer (esp. on their manuals) they made some changes to combat this issue. i forget what they did but i think it had to do with lowering initial torque... i dunno i forget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhallball
Then i checked out my friend taht sat in the passenger seat. He owns an 05 Nissan Maxima SE and in the 05 and older models with the new body type, they are rated 265hp. but now the "new" 07 models with the same body type have 255hp ratings...
but its interesting the new 07 nissans 3.5 VQ engines are rated at 255hp (if its true what your friends saying) because they were one of the last to hold out on incorperating the new SAE standard. which means the 350z and g35 VQ engines with better breathing isnt too far off for the 330's 255 (which has a pretty damn good tq curve)
Appreciate 0