View Single Post
      11-30-2023, 05:17 PM   #67
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
I'm not an EV fan or a Tesla fan either, they're certainly not my cup of tea.

"Tesla's Autopilot software has been involved in a total of 17 fatalities and 736 crashes since 2019, according to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)", per the Washington Post.

And that sounds terrible, and it is.

But we lose 40,000+ people on American roads every year, driven by humans.

So, let's keep everything in perspective.

Do we really care about saving lives, or is this just a stat to hate on Teslas? Hec, for all we know, Teslas are saving lives with their autonomous driving, improving the driving acumen for tired drivers, distracted drivers, or drivers with impaired vision.

Let's say in the future that autonomous driving (to be available in all cars like airbags today) reduces annual deaths on American roads by half, would that be considered a "success", or a failure of autonomous driving?

I'm sure it will depend on who you ask.
I am not a fan of autonomous driving when a small fraction of cars are doing it, but I am a fan of every idiot having a car drive for them. Imagine the flow of traffic if cars merge correctly and don't panic and brake and do the dumb shit that human drivers do now. We could even safely raise speed limits in places.
Appreciate 1
KevinGS3389.00