tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
I'm asking this just as a general discussion, there's a breadth of experience and knowledge on this site.

I'm fixing to move for a job soon and my current house is one of those under a 3% mortgage and I'm now faced with deciding to buy again or rent for a while.

Looking for thoughts on that considering the current rates and market.

I'm leaning buy, but anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

Justin
“Fixing to”, I’m guessing you’re not from PA originally. As a Texan I’m inclined to guess you are, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
If you can afford the rate, why not? You can always refinance later (if rates ever go down). Most rentals I've found have bumped up their pricing to be just shy of buying a home at current rates. How coincidental, no? I was right in the middle of financing a home with closing less than 30 days out and got cut, so needless to say that was scuttled. Fortunately, the builder gave me back my $10k deposit, though they were under no legal obligation to do so. Frankly, I was blown away. With a 3% loan on your current, I'd imagine there is going to be a lot of recommendation to rent out your current home and mortgage another. However, I'm a person of simplicity, and with current laws heavily in favor of NOT protecting landlords, I couldn't do that.

I would have ended up with around 7% if everything had gone through, and that included a small buydown. Though, I'm not too fond of the whole "buydown" concept, because it seemed to me you're just prepaying the equivalent points taken off.
My initial thought was not to buy, but I changed my mind with the first sentence here. If you can afford the rate, why not?
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!