02-15-2023, 10:22 PM   #46
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've ridden several times in just two Tesla's, one a dual motor Model 3 which was a 2018 build (the owner was an early adopter) and a 2021 Model Y owned by my GA pilot friend. Both gents are EEs by trade. I found the model 3 to be sparse inside (no news there) and the materials were fine but plain and the interior panel fits were somewhat large gapped compared to a German luxury brand. Both the Model 3 and Model Y appeared well-built and the design execution was on par, but just again, sparse. I could make the same comments regarding my old E30 and my brand new Bronco. The same for the Model Y, the "minimalist" theme was ever present. Both cars seemed screwed together well. While I did not get a lot of seat time in the Y, I did in the 3. I found the backseat terribly uncomfortable, like 1960s uncomfortable where the Big Three just threw seats back there and hoped for the best. It's a problem with the roofline and underfloor battery box. There's just not enough vertical space to make a comfortable back seat. It's a design compromise. I have a seriously hard ass too, I can easily rip off an 8-hour 300-mile day on a motorcycle (with a few breaks), but after 45 minutes I needed to get out of the Model 3. The Model Y I didn't have an extended trip in, but because the roofline is taller the rear seat was more comfortable for the short time I spent in it.

I should say my needs for a "good interior" extends to how the interior functions to make the drive better (i.e. ergonomics, comfort to fight fatigue and sightlines). Hands down the E30 is the best interior I've ever been in; simple and extremely functional to aid the act of driving. No modern car meets those criteria for me, nor can they, based on all the tech now thrown in. I just simply have issues with the Tesla big screen EV design theme regardless if it is in a Tesla, or Ford. I just do not see the point with the screen; the one in my Bronco I turn off most of the time.

Everyone likes the car(s) they own for their personal reasons. We should all applaud you for finding the Tesla meeting your criteria for ownership. Again congrats.
This is what I think a lot of people are actually complaining about when they talk about build quality. There's just not much there. Couple seats, a screen, couple window switches. However neither in my 2018 or the 2023 have I found any of the materials to be cheap feeling. I find their pleather very nice. The plastics are nice quality not the hard stuff you see in economy cars. Carpets are thick and everything feels solid. There's just not much there. I also kind of like that there's really nothing else like it, although some brands are trying to copy some of the simplicity. I like trying new things, that's why I've never bought the same car twice. I can go from the Cayenne to the truck or the mustang now the miata and it all has a very similar feel... hard to explain... but I get in the model 3 and I immediately know I'm in a different car.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh17472.50
Mosaud19983982.50