View Single Post
      11-02-2021, 08:06 PM   #92
synchronicityii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xDrive45e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Amazon became widely used because the US govt SUBSIDIZED every shipment that went out

Same thing with Te$la which has not turned into a profitsble company ever, has been subsidized to the tune of billions by the US govt to keep it afloat
I'm going to assume that since I pointed out that Tesla would have made >$1.3 billion last quarter without regulatory credits, and did so with no access to Federal EV income tax credits since 2019, you're dropping your second point above. So let's turn to Amazon.

The article you linked to asserted that the USPS undercharged package customers "like Amazon" by $1.46 per package from at least 2017–2020.

First, note the words "like Amazon". Not just Amazon. So even that article—which itself notes the number is disputed—points out that other companies receive the same benefit.

Second, let's imagine that the number is right (could be), and that only Amazon gets that credit (no, but I'm being generous to make a point). This analysis from the same general time period as the piece to which you linked claims that in 2017, Amazon shipped 3.3 billion parcels, 33% of them via USPS. That's 1.1 billion parcels. 1.1 billion parcels times $1.46/parcel in savings equals $1.606 billion in savings. So how much profit did Amazon make in 2017? $3.0 billion. So even under the most favorable possible interpretation of your assertion, Amazon still would have made $1.4 billion in profit without the USPS discount—a discount which, as pointed out, was not exclusive to them.

Also, this analysis is at the most favorable point in time for your assertion. In 2020, Amazon made $21.3 billion in profit, so any savings from USPS would have been a small fraction of their net.

Last edited by synchronicityii; 11-02-2021 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
chris7197535.00