07-16-2020, 05:12 PM   #159
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
I'm curious what "newer tech" in the newer iDrive 7 is a "must have" over the iDrive 6 in the current M240i? I have to admit, having a navigation screen was probably the biggest reason I finally gave up my E46 330Ci ZHP. I was using Waze by propping up my phone. With my M240i, I just needed the CarPlay fullscreen hack and I'm very happy. I drove a new 3 series as a loaner not too long ago with the iDrive 7 and have to say that I didn't find the navigation screen that much of an improvement (I use CarPlay mostly anyway) and hate, hate, HATED the digital dashboard. So cluttered and redundant, tach that went the wrong way and was hard to read. For me, I was VERY glad to be back in my own car with dials I could read and I didn't miss a slightly larger screen.

I know it's all subjective tho.
Honestly all the technology is overrated. My wife and I's Mercs have probably a thousand different features that we've never even used or heard of. We simply just plug our phones in and use CarPlay and spotify/google maps. Only time we really use the infotainment system is for ambient lighting or the multi-view cameras when reversing.
Appreciate 1
MarkDemma520.00