Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
I disagree on the H-hause food and service being bad (food is exactly what you expect form German cuisine - simple and hearty, anything but sophisticated). Service was adequate, but busy.

All true on the observation that there are dozens of local beer gardens where you will find more locals.
Alas, my German is minimal, and hanging out with other tourists and English speakers at H-hause was the best part of eating there.
I loved the Hofbrauhaus. Food wasn't exceptional, but was exactly what you'd want it to be....German comfort food. Hearty and rich....perfect to accompany good German beer. Hell, I could have sat there drinking beer and eating those huge pretzels all night.

Granted, I loved Augustiner-Keller far more than Hofbrauhaus.....just because it "felt" a little more like a local hangout and the beer was better. Pretzels not as good though! But there was a huge tourist contingent there as well.

We had 2 German "fine dining" experiences while in Germany. One was at Alpenrose am See in Hohenschwangau/Neuschwanstein....again, German comfort food but with a finer dining flair. The wienerschnitzel was ridiculous. The other place was at a fantastic restaurant inside of the Hotel Die Hirschgasse Heidelberg.

I much prefer a nice relaxing, traditional place with the comfort food, pretzels and beer.....

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0