BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Is there some issue or need to drive differently ?

04-23-2014, 01:53 AM   #1
bennzwel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 Edition 30

Is there some issue or need to drive differently ?

Just came across some abnormal ( to me ) behaviour with my F20 116i Auto,
The car has done only 600kms.

When the car is off for a while or when started from cold ( not used for a day or two), sometimes when I put it to drive the car moves in a jerky motion for a second or so. This only happened few times but started to make me worried. I'm taking it the dealer to sort the handbrake setting but just wondering if anyone has come across this issue ?

Could it be engine needs time to warm up a bit before driving ? Could it be gearbox or even brakes ? The temp here is between 13-19C so it's not a cold winter temp.

Just wanting to see if anyone else experienced it as well ?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 02:12 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Can you explain the jerky motion more in detail?

The handbrake can get slightly stuck when left on for a long time. It will take some more force than usual to make the car roll, and it will loosen with a snap.

The brakes will rust if the car is left alone for a long time after being wet. This will mostly cause extra noise during braking until the rust is gone.

When the engine is not up to operating temperature, it will be slightly down on torque and power, and the idle regulation is not as stable as usual, so it will require somewhat smoother inputs from the driver.

I am not familiar with your transmission, but in general, when the oil in the gearbox is not up to operating temperature, all operation of a transmission will be less smooth than normal. On really cold days, it can be close to impossible to shift gears the first minute of driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 02:21 AM   #3
bennzwel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 Edition 30

It's almost like when you drive a manual on third gear when you should be in second or first.
There is no rust or residue on the brakes discs. I keep the car very clean and always dry.

It could be rear wheel brakes when cold and they stick a bit.
I will ask the dealer to check them but thought maybe this is something others with auto or manual gearbox have experienced.
Appreciate 0