BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Video: M135i cabin engine sound is generated / boosted (Active Sound like M5)

01-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #111
NTTY
Private First Class

Drives: 135i (E82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e679 View Post
Wakaka. Hilarious! I could not imagine that one day I will say this in BMW dealer "I would like my car to sound like Porsche 959 this week. The sound of 300sl gull wing that i had wasn't really suit my taste."
Want to make it sound like an electric car. It's environmentally friendlier.
      01-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #112
bimmerjph
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2002 BMW 325i

This will be next. I guarantee it.

bimmerjph is offline   United_States
      01-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #113
NTTY
Private First Class

01-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #114
VaDuro
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335xi

WTF

OK, am I really reading about an amplified car sound that sounds like a high performance car but actually performs the same? WTF is going on, have BMW Fans really become little bitches....I am ashamed and would be more ashamed if the Audi/porsche and even ricers got wind of this bullshit...

Here we go again with the blow off valves and spoilers or even that cyclonic thingy that connected to the intake .....debate ably pointless conversions that get small gains if any.

Here you go, maybe that sounds amp would make this car faster

Last edited by VaDuro; 01-04-2013 at 05:28 PM.
VaDuro is offline   United_States
      01-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #115
Ian///M
Major General

Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
It is sinful wrong if true. Did anyone watch the futuristic film Strange Days (1995, director Kathryn Bigelow, stars Ralph Fiennes)? Reminds me that one. Great film by the way.
Perhaps they should put this in electric cars
      01-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #116
logiclee
Private First Class

Drives: BMW 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDuro View Post
I am ashamed and would be more ashamed if the Audi/Porsche
VAG already do the same.

Porsche not far behind.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ined-tech-dept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=a9F_ebnq2_c#!

Cheers
Lee

Last edited by logiclee; 01-04-2013 at 05:46 PM.
      01-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #117
phil3103
Private First Class

Drives: E90

Personally I'm loving the car. Every day it gets better. In terms of the sound inside and out. It sounds bloody cool inside the cabin and I really enjoy that. And then when I put my foot down it sucks in the horizon and I enjoy that. And when I visit my mates they say they can hear it coming down the road and it sounds bloody cool to them. I enjoy that too.

So all in all. Well done BMW. You've sold me a car I really enjoy. Just what I wanted when I bought it.

Oh and it goes round corners really well too and stops on it's nose when it needs to. I enjoy that too.
      01-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #118
strati1
Lieutenant

Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil3103
Personally I'm loving the car. Every day it gets better. In terms of the sound inside and out. It sounds bloody cool inside the cabin and I really enjoy that. And then when I put my foot down it sucks in the horizon and I enjoy that. And when I visit my mates they say they can hear it coming down the road and it sounds bloody cool to them. I enjoy that too.

So all in all. Well done BMW. You've sold me a car I really enjoy. Just what I wanted when I bought it.

Oh and it goes round corners really well too and stops on it's nose when it needs to. I enjoy that too.
Seems that this guy loves his m. Cheers to that, while I myself might be a hater of this feature the actual consumer is more of an influence. good job BMW for catering to the buyer. Which isn't me
//Mods: Golf Tee, red out tails, smoked fogs, B&G S2 Springs, Adjustable Koni Yellows, Vorshlag Camberplates, PSS 225 square, Macht Schnell 90mm studs, H&R spacers 15mm front 20mm rear (no rubbing), RPI scoops, K&N
strati1 is offline   United_States
      01-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #119
Propagator
Captain

Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee View Post
Not even close. What Porsche does is piping in the actual engine noise. They might play with the acoustics of the piping, but the source of that noise is still undeniably your own engine, and it is fully mechanical. This has been done by virtually everybody for many years, including BMW.

And that video is about creating sound for the Audi eTron, which is a fully electric car that does not have an intrinsic sound. This is one part a pedestrian safety issue, and another part driver feedback issue. However, they are not making it sound like an ICE, rather they are creating some futuristic motor noise. Given that the only noise you can have with an electric car is a fake noise, it might as well sound good.

The Active Sound is a totally different story. This approach has a potential to completely take out the acoustic quality of an engine from the driver enjoyment equation. Noise is such an integral part of the character of an engine, and yet none of that will matter if this becomes common place. Nothing stopping a Camry from sounding like a Ferrari. How's that ok?
      01-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #120
logiclee
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
Not even close. What Porsche does is piping in the actual engine noise. They might play with the acoustics of the piping, but the source of that noise is still undeniably your own engine, and it is fully mechanical. This has been done by virtually everybody for many years, including BMW.

And that video is about creating sound for the Audi eTron, which is a fully electric car that does not have an intrinsic sound. This is one part a pedestrian safety issue, and another part driver feedback issue. However, they are not making it sound like an ICE, rather they are creating some futuristic motor noise. Given that the only noise you can have with an electric car is a fake noise, it might as well sound good.

The Active Sound is a totally different story. This approach has a potential to completely take out the acoustic quality of an engine from the driver enjoyment equation. Noise is such an integral part of the character of an engine, and yet none of that will matter if this becomes common place. Nothing stopping a Camry from sounding like a Ferrari. How's that ok?
VW use speaker technology in the GTi and R models and Audi have been running the same system on the the new MQB platform A3 although not on any model on sale yet.

VAG and BMW used to use the piped in noise but as technology has advanced they have now started to do it electronically.
It's the future, smaller more efficient engines giving the torque and horsepower we want but not the sound we want. The manufactures give us the full experience by artificially giving the sound into the cabin.
I suspect we will see this technology filter down the ranges pretty quickly as the results are quite impressive. It fooled me and I'm no professional but to fool the likes of Chris Harris and other pros no easy task.

Just have to wait for Ford to launch their 200bhp 1.0 litre, 3 cylinder eco boost with optional V8 soundtrack.

Cheers
Lee
      01-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #121
NTTY
Private First Class

E-diff, e-sound, e-steering, e-dampers, ... Where are the analog options?
      01-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #122
logiclee
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTTY View Post
E-diff, e-sound, e-steering, e-dampers, ... Where are the analog options?
Hand brake is still on a cable and not electronic yet.
      01-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #123
tawia
Second Lieutenant

Drives: F21 125d

Garage List
Couldn't be bothered reading through all the posts but I would LOVE this feature in my 125d please. Can I add this module?
tawia is offline   United Kingdom
      01-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #124
palpatine_us
Old Man

Drives: 2010 Audi A6- Former E90 Owner

Can I opt for the M5 shriek from the E60 for the 135?
palpatine_us is offline   United_States
      01-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #125
Aeroav8r
Private First Class

Drives: '11 535i

I swear there's one of these in the current 328i. The lonaer car I recently had possessed this whistling sound that was RPM dependant and it sounded like it was coming from a stereo speaker/s. It was ok in sound.
Aeroav8r is offline   United_States
      01-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #126
tmo24
Captain

Drives: 2010 335i e90 Msport

I wonder if you can do a BMW Performance Exhaust sound file mod to make it sound more bad ass. It would probably cost $1500 installed at BMW but you wouldn't void your warranty. Or you could just modify the sound file yourself for the golf tee mod. Maybe a catless DP sound file. And throw some extra turbo whine and blow off valve in there too.
      01-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #127
ovekvam
Colonel

Drives: F20 116i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
I don't want my car lying to me... this crap and automatics cheapen the car's feel.

Those who want "awesome" sound are in it for superficial reasons, most likely because they out of tune from their car anyways and have no pulse of things. These type, typically ride in their cars, not commune with it, like a driver.

Ironically, poser-fake sounds, are all their^ really after... omgbbq!
You are the only one hearing it inside the car. Outside it is quiet, so this is not a poser thing. It is about sound regulations making the cars more quiet. It must be compensated inside the car. They used to do that by piping, but the car manufacturers can tune the sound better with a digital approach, to give the driver MORE feedback. I am the kind of driver that prefers a manual gearbox and instant response from the car, and I like this sound trick. Very nice for track driving when you wear a full face helmet.
ovekvam is offline   Norway
      01-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #128
Tra08R
Money never sleeps

Drives: e92 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
that and the fiat is a pile of steaming sh.ite! and its a fiat!

its not a fake noise, its a mic thru of the real engine noise not sure what people are complaining about.

Do you rip off your headphones or bin your speakers because the rolling stones aren't playing in your living room?

If the noise was manufactured I could understand some issues but its the real deal, and frankly it sounds marvellous

Neil.
--
M3 / M5 / M135i
And how do u know its a mic thru of the real engine noise? you put your ears inside the hood?
Tra08R is offline   Australia
      01-05-2013, 05:14 AM   #129
logiclee
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R View Post
And how do u know its a mic thru of the real engine noise? you put your ears inside the hood?
BMW system doesn't use a microphone.
      01-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #130
CQVD330
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 335xi M-sport MRed

Send a message via Skype™ to CQVD330
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto
I can see it now BMW will offer an updated sound file as a performance upgrade.
:-)
Melbourne Red // XDrive // M-Sport // DHP // Premium Package // M sport brake // Variable sport steering // 8AT // H&R Sport springs // Velgen VMB5 Black Sandtex powdercoated // M Performance replica front spoiler // M performance side blades // tinted // Dinan Shockware
CQVD330 is offline   Canada
      01-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #131
jhbodle
Captain

Drives: F20 125d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawia View Post
Couldn't be bothered reading through all the posts but I would LOVE this feature in my 125d please. Can I add this module?
Me too
      01-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #132
MaDoNiOn
First Lieutenant

Drives: Polo Tdi 1.9

Garage List
Another reason i dont like the new m135.
The Stupid m badge on a car thats not a m!
The hideous front lights!

There is nothing wrong with the sound of a 135!

Any good reason why they did this?

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
MaDoNiOn is offline   South Africa