BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 125i not revving over ~3500rpm on standstill?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
rickk
Private First Class
 
rickk's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 325i, E46 320d, F21 125i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

125i not revving over ~3500rpm on standstill?

Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find a topic on it.

My car is almost run in so it's time to start trying dumb things

So today I noticed that I couldn't rev past ~3500rpm on standstill with the clutch pressed or the gearbox sitting in Neutral. When the car is moving, I can rev it to redline with the clutch in, so there's obviously some computer at work here.

Obviously there isn't much point in revving to redline when standing still, so I'm not bothered, but I'm still wondering what the "feature" is and if anyone else noticed the same?

- Rick
__________________
2013 F21 125i Estoril Blue M Sport
2002 E46 320d Steel Gray M Sport
1986 E30 325i Royal Metallic Blue
rickk is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
ovekvam
Colonel
 
Drives: F20 116i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

Posts: 2,113
iTrader: (0)

Sounds like launch control! :-)
ovekvam is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
rickk
Private First Class
 
rickk's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 325i, E46 320d, F21 125i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Sounds like launch control! :-)
Yeah, I was secretly hoping for that, and I tried popping the clutch with the throttle floored but revs just dropped and the car launched like from idle.

Will have proper play with it soon, and will also see if it's the same in Comfort mode (this was in Sport+).

- Rick
__________________
2013 F21 125i Estoril Blue M Sport
2002 E46 320d Steel Gray M Sport
1986 E30 325i Royal Metallic Blue
rickk is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
ovekvam
Colonel
 
Drives: F20 116i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

Posts: 2,113
iTrader: (0)

You should also try the DSC off setting. Then you can definitely launch with plenty of wheelspin with a 116i.
ovekvam is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
rickk
Private First Class
 
rickk's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 325i, E46 320d, F21 125i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

Will do, but so far Sport+ also seems to allow you to put a good amount of rubber down from the line. Didn't notice DSC interfering with a launch yet.

But... I'm still running it in
__________________
2013 F21 125i Estoril Blue M Sport
2002 E46 320d Steel Gray M Sport
1986 E30 325i Royal Metallic Blue
rickk is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
piiksi
New Member
 
Drives: F21 116d M-sport Valencia oran
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Moss,Norway

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

It's the same on my diesel. It's not revving over 2500 rpm!
__________________
13' F21 116d M-sport Valencia orange
x 09' E87 116d M-sport
piiksi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
KoenG
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E39 530i & F10 520d
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe

Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

Indeed, discovered this a year ago... Allows full throttle and facilitates a quick launch with the tires on controlled slip. I don't know whether this is a functionality to be designed for better launches?
KoenG is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
rickk
Private First Class
 
rickk's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 325i, E46 320d, F21 125i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

It's indeed some kind of launch control. I tried a few times again today and got consistent good launches.

I think it would be faster with a bit more wheelspin, but maybe that's just wishful thinking as I'm a sucker for a bit of drama
__________________
2013 F21 125i Estoril Blue M Sport
2002 E46 320d Steel Gray M Sport
1986 E30 325i Royal Metallic Blue
rickk is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
wolz
Second Lieutenant
 
wolz's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw F20 120d
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sweden

Posts: 216
iTrader: (0)



What engines has this feature? Only 125d/i? Only m-sport?
wolz is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
ovekvam
Colonel
 
Drives: F20 116i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

Posts: 2,113
iTrader: (0)

I know our 116i M-Sport can rev to 4000+ RPM standing still in Comfort mode, as I do that when they do noise testing at track days. I will have to try in Sport+ one day, to see if there is a limiter.
ovekvam is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
ticamihai2003
Private
 
Drives: MINI Cooper S, BMW 118d sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Romania

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

my 2010 mini cooper s only reved to 4k on standstill but after installing a JCW engine kit it could rev all the way to 7k
ticamihai2003 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
vladberca
Brigadier General
 
vladberca's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 jetta tsi 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Craiova

Posts: 3,657
iTrader: (0)

If the engine is cold it might be an auto option to limit the revs and protect the engine. This feature is available for M cars.
Other than that you should ask at your service.
vladberca is offline   Romania
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #13
jhbodle
Captain
 
jhbodle's Avatar
 
Drives: F20 125d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 709
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
My 125d is also limited to 2500rpm at a standstill. Whilst I would love it to be some kind of launch control, it's probably there to protect the engine / clutch. Revving an engine with no load is bad for it.
__________________
F20 125d M Sport
Previous: E92 335i M Sport Individual
E90 325i SE E46 318i SE E36 316i
jhbodle is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #14
ovekvam
Colonel
 
Drives: F20 116i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

Posts: 2,113
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle View Post
Revving an engine with no load is bad for it.
Why is that bad for the engine?
ovekvam is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #15
jhbodle
Captain
 
jhbodle's Avatar
 
Drives: F20 125d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 709
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Why is that bad for the engine?
Not sure myself, but ask the question on any car forum and you'll get the same answer. My best guess is that when revving hard in neutral, all that kinetic energy that is normally spent driving the wheels has to be soaked up by the engine.

Imagine throwing punches hard at a punching bag then doing the same without the punching bag there. It's gonna mash your arm.
__________________
F20 125d M Sport
Previous: E92 335i M Sport Individual
E90 325i SE E46 318i SE E36 316i
jhbodle is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #16
ovekvam
Colonel
 
Drives: F20 116i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

Posts: 2,113
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle View Post
Not sure myself, but ask the question on any car forum and you'll get the same answer. My best guess is that when revving hard in neutral, all that kinetic energy that is normally spent driving the wheels has to be soaked up by the engine.

Imagine throwing punches hard at a punching bag then doing the same without the punching bag there. It's gonna mash your arm.
But you don't need much power to rev to the redline with no load. If the engine is well balanced, I can't quite see what the problem should be.
ovekvam is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #17
jhbodle
Captain
 
jhbodle's Avatar
 
Drives: F20 125d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 709
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
But you don't need much power to rev to the redline with no load. If the engine is well balanced, I can't quite see what the problem should be.
You don't need to use much power, but if you floor the throttle it will use all the power it has. I think that's what they are trying to protect against. I could be wrong of course, but if it was some sort of launch control feature I would think they would put it in the autos as well.
__________________
F20 125d M Sport
Previous: E92 335i M Sport Individual
E90 325i SE E46 318i SE E36 316i
jhbodle is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #18
ovekvam
Colonel
 
Drives: F20 116i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

Posts: 2,113
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle View Post
You don't need to use much power, but if you floor the throttle it will use all the power it has. I think that's what they are trying to protect against. I could be wrong of course, but if it was some sort of launch control feature I would think they would put it in the autos as well.
With wide open throttle, the RPM will quickly hit the limiter, causing the engine management to regulate the power down.
ovekvam is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      12-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #19
wolz
Second Lieutenant
 
wolz's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw F20 120d
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sweden

Posts: 216
iTrader: (0)

Finally checked this out, been forgetting it all the time! And I have it aswell, yay so I guess all models all engines got it? any urban-liners out there that can check their cars aswell?

So my findings are this:
# at comfort or sport-mode revlimit is 2500rpm (didn't check eco-pro-mode, not very interesting for launch control)
# at sport+ revlimit is 4000rpm (and this is not max-rev-safety-limit. It revs 4500rpm and beyond when running in gear)

at the moment there is alot of snow and ice here, at best I can find some wet tarmac but I'm on winterwheels not made for dragrace really (doh) so testing doesn't make sens right now, I'll have to wait for spring.

Anyways, Rickk, you for example did some proper testing under the right conditions? please tell me more! what drive-setting were you in?

I guess the revlimit you get in comfort and sport-mode are the best for a good launch (2500rpm in my case for diesel), BUT in those modes the anti-spin is super-sensitive so I guess that could ruin the perfect acceleration?
On the other hand you could launch in sport+mode which will allow some wheelspin but in this mode the rev-limit is 4000rpm in my case, which is way too much and will result in wheel-spin-bonanza. What's your experience regarding this?

I'm surprised there has not been any hype around this?! I haven't heard a word about this anywhere until now, not on forums, reviews, official info-material etc. I mean this feature is a million times more noteworthy than alot of other stuff that does get attention?!

I thought launch control was exclusive to super sport cars pretty much?! Or did I miss something? or is it the fact that everyone is driving the auto gearbox that doesn't have this feauture, hence no attention to this? I'm confused
wolz is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      12-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #20
ovekvam
Colonel
 
Drives: F20 116i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

Posts: 2,113
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolz View Post
at best I can find some wet tarmac but I'm on winterwheels not made for dragrace really (doh) so testing doesn't make sens right now, I'll have to wait for spring
My experience is that the best 0-100 times are acheived with studless winter tires on cold and dry winter days. These tires allow fairly good traction even with plenty of wheelspin, and they are usually lighter than the summer wheels. The engine produces more power on cold days.

With a 1990 E30 318iS I had, I could do 0-100 in 9 seconds flat in the summer, and 8 seconds flat in the winter.
ovekvam is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #21
jhbodle
Captain
 
jhbodle's Avatar
 
Drives: F20 125d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 709
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolz View Post
Finally checked this out, been forgetting it all the time! And I have it aswell, yay so I guess all models all engines got it? any urban-liners out there that can check their cars aswell?

So my findings are this:
# at comfort or sport-mode revlimit is 2500rpm (didn't check eco-pro-mode, not very interesting for launch control)
# at sport+ revlimit is 4000rpm (and this is not max-rev-safety-limit. It revs 4500rpm and beyond when running in gear)

at the moment there is alot of snow and ice here, at best I can find some wet tarmac but I'm on winterwheels not made for dragrace really (doh) so testing doesn't make sens right now, I'll have to wait for spring.

Anyways, Rickk, you for example did some proper testing under the right conditions? please tell me more! what drive-setting were you in?

I guess the revlimit you get in comfort and sport-mode are the best for a good launch (2500rpm in my case for diesel), BUT in those modes the anti-spin is super-sensitive so I guess that could ruin the perfect acceleration?
On the other hand you could launch in sport+mode which will allow some wheelspin but in this mode the rev-limit is 4000rpm in my case, which is way too much and will result in wheel-spin-bonanza. What's your experience regarding this?

I'm surprised there has not been any hype around this?! I haven't heard a word about this anywhere until now, not on forums, reviews, official info-material etc. I mean this feature is a million times more noteworthy than alot of other stuff that does get attention?!

I thought launch control was exclusive to super sport cars pretty much?! Or did I miss something? or is it the fact that everyone is driving the auto gearbox that doesn't have this feauture, hence no attention to this? I'm confused
Wow, I guess my theory was wrong then. This is very exciting news! I must try this out...
__________________
F20 125d M Sport
Previous: E92 335i M Sport Individual
E90 325i SE E46 318i SE E36 316i
jhbodle is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #22
nicvw
Private
 
nicvw's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW F20 125i Sport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Africa

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Does this only occur with a manual gearbox?
nicvw is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST