BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > My M135i xDrive winter setup
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
Manboy
Powered by ESS
Sweden
25
Rep
678
Posts

Drives: 2014 M135i xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

My M135i xDrive winter setup

I got some nice OEM wheels and also painted the wing mirrors in white.
I think it looks really cool.

Hope you like!
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
ovekvam
Colonel
Norway
59
Rep
2,516
Posts

Drives: F20 116i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

iTrader: (0)

I like the looks, but aren't those wheels a nightmare to keep clean in the winter?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
Manboy
Powered by ESS
Sweden
25
Rep
678
Posts

Drives: 2014 M135i xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Yeah they are but I'll deal with It, looks over convenience
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
JIA
New Member
2
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: Bmw F20 116D
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I like the looks, but aren't those wheels a nightmare to keep clean in the winter?
X2
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
flyaway
New Member
0
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: M135i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

It looks very good, I prefer a dirty OEM look to an ugly clean winter set up.
I'm courious, what tyres are you using (the original 225-245 or a square 225 setup?)

As I responded in this similar thread, I'm using the OEM wheels with 225/45/18 - 245/35/18 Pirelli Sotozzero II (rather hard to find) and quite happy with it:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...0#post17053800
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 04:01 AM   #6
Manboy
Powered by ESS
Sweden
25
Rep
678
Posts

Drives: 2014 M135i xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyaway View Post
It looks very good, I prefer a dirty OEM look to an ugly clean winter set up.
I'm courious, what tyres are you using (the original 225-245 or a square 225 setup?)

As I responded in this similar thread, I'm using the OEM wheels with 225/45/18 - 245/35/18 Pirelli Sotozzero II (rather hard to find) and quite happy with it:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...0#post17053800
I got these wheels and tires when I bought my car from BMW. It's a square setup with 225/40 R18.
My big surprise was that the understeer i had with the OEM summer wheels/tires was completely gone.

I am definitely going to sell the summer wheels and get an exact same square setup for summer, only different rubber of course - michelin PS2 225/40 on all corners. Never going staggered again with an xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 04:14 AM   #7
ovekvam
Colonel
Norway
59
Rep
2,516
Posts

Drives: F20 116i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
I got these wheels and tires when I bought my car from BMW. It's a square setup with 225/40 R18.
My big surprise was that the understeer i had with the OEM summer wheels/tires was completely gone.

I am definitely going to sell the summer wheels and get an exact same square setup for summer, only different rubber of course - michelin PS2 225/40 on all corners. Never going staggered again with an xDrive.
I test drove a RWD F20 with staggered M-Sport setup before buying an F20. It had some understeer as well. I went with a square setup, and I am very pleased with the balance. I will also never use a staggered setup on an F20. Staying away from runflats as well.

I use Michelin Xi3 in the winter and Michelin PS3 in the summer.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 05:33 AM   #8
GeoBem007
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
5
Rep
217
Posts

Drives: F21 125d M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Antwerp, Belgium

iTrader: (0)

I bought my winters before getting to know the inconvenience of the staggered setup, so I'm also "stuck" with 225/40 - 245/35 Sottozero 3's on my stock 368M wheels. Mounting them this weekend if my spacers come in.

Looks neat, Pavel.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #9
Manboy
Powered by ESS
Sweden
25
Rep
678
Posts

Drives: 2014 M135i xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I test drove a RWD F20 with staggered M-Sport setup before buying an F20. It had some understeer as well. I went with a square setup, and I am very pleased with the balance. I will also never use a staggered setup on an F20. Staying away from runflats as well.

I use Michelin Xi3 in the winter and Michelin PS3 in the summer.
what do think of the PS3's? sharp feedback or do they feel soft and unresponsive?

I'm debating on getting the PS2's 225/40R18 XL Y92, or PS3's..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
Manboy
Powered by ESS
Sweden
25
Rep
678
Posts

Drives: 2014 M135i xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoBem007 View Post
Looks neat, Pavel.
Thanx!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
ovekvam
Colonel
Norway
59
Rep
2,516
Posts

Drives: F20 116i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
what do think of the PS3's? sharp feedback or do they feel soft and unresponsive?

I'm debating on getting the PS2's 225/40R18 XL Y92, or PS3's..
I am running 17" wheels, so the response is slightly sluggish because of tall sidewalls. The feedback feels a bit vague during regular driving, but they communicate well at the limit. The grip is rather good on dry tarmac, but they tend to overheat and fade a bit if you push them for several laps. In wet conditions they are pretty much awesome.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #12
Bee Pee
Major
United Kingdom
76
Rep
1,347
Posts

Drives: F20 M135i auto EB2
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SW London

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via Skype™ to Bee Pee
Pavel

PS2 are superior to PS3.
PSS may be better than PS2 as they have dual compound softer outer shoulder. oem fit PSS are great for grip but can wear prematurely.

If you want longer wear, PS2.

BP
__________________
F20 M135i EB AT with options - what a hoot !
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
ovekvam
Colonel
Norway
59
Rep
2,516
Posts

Drives: F20 116i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Dew View Post
Pavel

PS2 are superior to PS3.
PSS may be better than PS2 as they have dual compound softer outer shoulder. oem fit PSS are great for grip but can wear prematurely.

If you want longer wear, PS2.

BP
I think you are wrong about PS2 being superior to PS3. PS3 is definitely better in the wet, but PS2 might have an edge on dry tarmac after a few laps. Overall I would take PS3 over PS2.

The PSS is even better. Very good tyre in both wet and dry conditions. The main drawback is perfomance on cold days.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #14
Bee Pee
Major
United Kingdom
76
Rep
1,347
Posts

Drives: F20 M135i auto EB2
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SW London

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via Skype™ to Bee Pee
I take exception to you quoting my recommendation as being wrong based on your subjective comments.

My conclusion of PS2 or PS3 for M135i is based on facts as follows:-

1. PS3 replaced the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2
2. PS2 has been replaced by PSS, oem fitment by BMW

Also from experience as I ran an e46 330i for 9 years/85k miles with PS2 and then e91 335i for 5 yrs/45k miles with Ps3 !
__________________
F20 M135i EB AT with options - what a hoot !
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #15
ttimbo
Lieutenant
ttimbo's Avatar
12
Rep
449
Posts

Drives: F20 M135i AW
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Unless one engages in some form of objective testing, involving wet and dry slalom, braking, and circuit laps, all judgements about tyres are subjective. Some tyres also seem to suit drive configurations (FWD, AWD, RWD) better than others.

The only opinion I can offer regarding Michelin PS2 vs PS3 is that the latter give better steering feel and better wet road confidence than the PS2. But this is on my wife's Golf GTD, which actually felt best on the OEM Bridgestones. Those, however, were noisy and gave quite a harsh ride.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #16
ovekvam
Colonel
Norway
59
Rep
2,516
Posts

Drives: F20 116i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Dew View Post
1. PS3 replaced the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2
2. PS2 has been replaced by PSS, oem fitment by BMW

Also from experience as I ran an e46 330i for 9 years/85k miles with PS2 and then e91 335i for 5 yrs/45k miles with Ps3 !
Michelin has been running PS2 and PS3 side by side as equivalent tyres in different dimensions. According to Michelin themselves, they are the same performance category, but PS3 is supposed to have better performance in wet conditions. That is also my experience from track driving.

PSS is a rather different tyre, bordeline competition compound. In some racing series, it is ranked together with true R-compounds. It has not replaced the PS2.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #17
Bee Pee
Major
United Kingdom
76
Rep
1,347
Posts

Drives: F20 M135i auto EB2
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SW London

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via Skype™ to Bee Pee
From michelin UK website they recommend PSS and ps2 for m135i. Aligns with my recommendation ie ps2 over ps3 !
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 02:44 AM   #18
ovekvam
Colonel
Norway
59
Rep
2,516
Posts

Drives: F20 116i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Dew View Post
From michelin UK website they recommend PSS and ps2 for m135i. Aligns with my recommendation ie ps2 over ps3 !
But usually you do not have a choice of both PS2 and PS3 in the same tyre size.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 05:20 AM   #19
Manboy
Powered by ESS
Sweden
25
Rep
678
Posts

Drives: 2014 M135i xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

the most important part for me is steering feedback.
I like it when a tire has really stiff sidewalls. Im actually considering going to runflats just to get that stiffness. I do feel that the PSS are a bit on the soft side.. I was hoping the PS2 are a bit stiffer?

one of the best tires I've had on a car when it comes to stiffness is actually a rather cheap one - Toyo T1-R.
They do still make this tire in 225/40 R18 so I might be getting a set of those instead of the Michelin..
Grip is always there with the xDrive so i'm not to worried about that..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #20
ovekvam
Colonel
Norway
59
Rep
2,516
Posts

Drives: F20 116i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Stiff sidewalls do not necessarily give you more steering feedback. It does however improve the steering response. I had a few sets of Falken Azenis tyres. They have rather stiff sidewalls, excellent steering response, but very lousy steering feedback.

I personally don't need sharp steering response, I prefer consistent grip. That is why I prefer slightly smaller rims and tall sidewalls. It makes the car feel more like a boat, but it makes the handling at the limit more relaxed, and the balance of the car will not be easily upset by bumps and camber changes in the road.

Others will perhaps prefer the precision of a sharp steering response, and choose to stay away from the limit, as the car is more likely to bite back with such a setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 06:07 AM   #21
Bee Pee
Major
United Kingdom
76
Rep
1,347
Posts

Drives: F20 M135i auto EB2
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SW London

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via Skype™ to Bee Pee
Pavel,

I've read folks have switched from 88 oem load rating Mich PSS to 92 XL mich PSS - keeps grip consistency and stiffens sidewalls.

I run 8" wide front rims so may go for 92 XL when my fronts need replacing.

BP
__________________
F20 M135i EB AT with options - what a hoot !
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 06:08 AM   #22
ttimbo
Lieutenant
ttimbo's Avatar
12
Rep
449
Posts

Drives: F20 M135i AW
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

If you prefer stiff sidewalks, then I'd suggest Bridgestone 050s, or whatever the current equivalent. They work well on FWD/AWD cars, where there's a lot of weight over the front axle. Can't say how they'd be on the M135i, though....hard, and noisy...but I'm guessing.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:50 PM.




1addicts
1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST