BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW M135i Project Manager, Christof Lischka, Speaks About... M135i

05-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW M135i Project Manager, Christof Lischka, Speaks About... M135i

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW M135i Project Manager, Christof Lischka, Speaks About... M135i
COMMENTS
Name:  m135i.jpg
Views: 13432
Size:  118.2 KB

Here's an interview, via M-Power.com with the BMW M135i's Project Manager, Christof Lischka. For full details and official information on the M135i, see our M135i Model Guide.

The BMW M135i is the first petrol engine model to be presented in the new category BMW M Performance Automobiles. What are the car's technical highlights?

Christof Lischka: The BMW M135i is the first petrol engine model of the BMW M Performance Automobiles as well as being the first representative of the 1 Series family. For this reason, it was important for us to give the BMW M135i the specific characteristics typical of all BMW M Performance Automobiles - specially matched to the 1 Series of course.

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-05-14 at 8.12.39 AM.jpg
Views: 12690
Size:  34.4 KB
The target character of the BMW M Performance Automobiles is defined by agility, precision and emotion. This in itself is a perfect match for the BMW 1 Series. But it was also important to us to maintain full suitability for everyday use. This is what did in the BMW M135i: we revised the suspension, with modifications to the front axle, for example, by changing the transverse control arm and the swivel bearing. And we developed a new tyre which is used exclusively for the BMW M135i. The suspension settings were modified specifically in connection with these changes. In addition, the standard equipment was given a sporty upgrade. The car is fitted as standard with sports steering and sports chassis with its own suspension settings, sports brake and sports package. This allows us to differentiate it from the sportiest AG model, the BMW 125i, while still retaining sufficient comfort and suitability for everyday use.

You mentioned that the 1 Series already embodies the properties of the BMW M Performance Automobiles. Where are the differences as compared to the existing BMW M550d, BMW X5 M50d and BMW X6 M50d, for example?

The BMW 1 Series is already our showcase model in terms of directness and agile driving response. This is why it is especially difficult - but especially important for the M135i - to go one step further and differentiate it from a "normal" BMW 1 Series, though without losing the everyday suitability familiar from the basic models. For this reason we have exercised particular fine tuning in technical differentiation of the BMW M135i. The result is even more agile handling, a higher level of transverse force and superb precision, though without losing out on comfort and stability.

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-05-14 at 8.12.50 AM.jpg
Views: 13096
Size:  110.2 KB

The BMW M135i features the BMW TwinPower Turbo engine of the N55 series with just one turbocharger. Why was this engine selected and not the N54, for example, which has two turbochargers?

The N55 has the potential for increased performance - in the BMW M135i we are offering 10 kW more than in the standard engine of the BMW 3 Series, as well as 50 Nm more torque. This gives us more than enough in terms of performance. With the sports automatic transmission, acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h takes 4.9 seconds - a top-class figure. So the N55 was an excellent match, there was no need to use the N54. Especially seeing as the N55 sets standards in the segment in terms of fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. With the sports automatic transmission we achieve a CO2 level of 175g / km and a combined fuel consumption level of 7.5l / 100km. This makes us the leaders of the vehicle segment in terms of fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.

Is the 450 Nm of torque available all the time or in an overboost mode?

The 450 Nm is permanently available.

Where are we with the BMW M135i in terms of weight?

The unladen weight is 1515 kg, so 1440 kg according to DIN.

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-05-14 at 8.13.05 AM.jpg
Views: 13423
Size:  123.4 KB

Let's take a closer look at the special components of the BMW M135i. We have a special brake system...

The 17" sports brake is installed in the car as standard. It is a fixed caliper brake with four pistons at the front and two at the rear, and brake discs with larger diameters. This and the special tyres I mentioned give the car an impressive brake performance. The brake has a blue paint finish and bears the M logo.

Is the brake exclusively available for the BMW M135i or for all BMW 1 Series models?

The sports brake is available as an option for all BMW 1 Series models.

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-05-14 at 8.13.16 AM.jpg
Views: 17489
Size:  155.4 KB

Are there any other features which are specifically for the BMW M135i, apart from those we've discussed?

We have 18" mixed tyres in size 225 at the front and size 245 at the rear on an exclusive rim which is only available for the BMW M135i. On the exterior we have the typical components of the BMW M Performance Automobiles: ferric grey mirror caps and ferric grey blades in the air inlet. The air inlets have been enlarged for the powerful engine of the BMW M135i, and there are no fog lamps. As I mentioned, the M sports package comes as standard. The door sill strip shows the BMW M135i inscription, while the steering wheel and gearshift lever knob bear the M emblem. And when you get in and out of the car, the BMW M Performance inscription appears in the instrument panel. There is also the double rimmed exhaust system, exclusively available for the BMW M135i within the 1 series family.

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-05-14 at 8.13.26 AM.jpg
Views: 14006
Size:  115.8 KB

The suspension settings were completely reworked to match the special tyres and the modifications to the chassis. The application of the steering, the adaptive M running gear and the entire powertrain was completely revised and newly harmonised. The exclusively developed tyre is provided solely as part of a mixed tyre combination. So we didn't have to allow for a whole range of tyres of different dimensions, as is the case with the basic models.

So if I were to order a BMW 125i with adaptive M running gear or sports steering, for example, there would be a difference from the set-up of these components as compared to the BMW M135i?

Correct. It is not possible to give a BMW 125i the same characteristics and performance of the BMW M135i by adding special equipment options. Not only the transverse and longitudinal dynamics are different - the entire character of the BMW M135i is distinct.

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-05-14 at 8.13.43 AM.jpg
Views: 20507
Size:  105.9 KB

In the predecessor generation of the new BMW 1 Series there was a BMW 135i, well a BMW M135i. If you had been limited to a BMW 135i now - would this car have been different?

Definitely. Looking at the features mentioned which are required to create the character of a BMW M Performance Automobile, we would not have implemented these in a BMW 135i. Apart from the lower engine power, the precision, agility, emotion and driving fun would not have reached the level now provided by the BMW M135i. The BMW 135i would have had more power but not a significantly different character from the other models of the series with lesser engines. And the additional weight of the high-performance 6-cylinder engine would not have been compensated for to the same extent as in the BMW M135i. It was the measures described which were able to supplement the longitudinal dynamics to create the spectacular agility, precision and lateral dynamics of the M135i. The engine acoustics have a great presence, too. The exhaust system was specially adapted. It was possible to leave out the centre silencer, while the exhaust flap control and engine application were adapted especially for the new M135i. The position of the driving dynamics switch is also incorporated here. We used all the conventional elements to create a thrilling sound.

Does the position of the driving experience switch have any other effect?

When you change from Comfort to Sport, the characteristic curve of the accelerator pedal and steering wheel are also altered, as is the setting of the optionally available adaptive M running gear. But the engine sound is also varied via the exhaust flap control and the engine application. The sound has a major impact on how the vehicle is perceived, and here again we offer pure emotion in the BMW M135i.

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-05-14 at 8.13.50 AM.jpg
Views: 14007
Size:  75.4 KB

Are the 3-door and 5-door models of the BMW M135i different in character?

No. That was our aim - we didn't want the two BMW M135i to be different in terms of driving dynamics.

How exactly did the engineers of BMW M and BMW AG collaborate on developing the BMW M135i?

It was important that the M characteristics typical of the BMW M Performance Automobiles were added by our BMW M GmbH colleagues. So we set up a kind of buddy system involving close collaboration between BMW M and BMW AG staff. In particular, BMW M engineers masterminded the differentiating features such as driving dynamics, drive and defining characteristics. The results were continuously refined in numerous common test drives and meetings - the collaboration was very intensive. Project management in this case was in the hands of BMW AG but also reported to BMW M GmbH - so there was a counterbalance here, too. This meant that it was possible to develop and present the BMW M Performance Automobile alongside the start of the basic BMW 1 Series 3-door model.

A typical M automobile has about 80% changed or completely newly developed parts as compared to its equivalent basic model. Where does a BMW M Performance Automobile such as the BMW M135i stand here?

With the BMW M135i we are at around 30%.

How does the BMW M135i do on the race track?

In order not to limit the everyday suitability of the BMW M135i it is not uncompromisingly geared towards the race track. This is particularly noticeable on flat race tracks - here the set-ups of the BMW 1 Series M Coupé and BMW M3 have an advantage. Winding country roads and routes which are not absolutely flat are perfect for the BMW M135i. Race track suitability was not a top priority in developing the BMW M135i: the main emphasis was on driving fun and pure emotion while retaining full suitability for everyday use.

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-05-14 at 8.14.02 AM.jpg
Views: 12529
Size:  105.3 KB

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
rs-6
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i

Sounds more like the 'M' from marketing, sadly.
Nevertheless I would be in the market for this car, as I would be for a 135i with M-pack. Just hope the marketing doesn't make them ask ridiculous prices...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
"And we developed a new tyre which is used exclusively for the BMW M135i"

translates as:

"And we've developed a new really expensive tyre for BMW M135i owners, who will now paying even more of a premium to drive this awesome car"

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

i know this seems like just an in-house tune up, but I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Question: hydraulic steering? or eps?
      05-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
German Engineering
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: '10 E87 116d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
Question: hydraulic steering? or eps?
EPS
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
M_BYEEE
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X5M

This would look really nice in a coupe version. Hope they make a US counterpart!
      05-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Jif
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs-6 View Post
Sounds more like the 'M' from marketing, sadly.
Nevertheless I would be in the market for this car, as I would be for a 135i with M-pack. Just hope the marketing doesn't make them ask ridiculous prices...
UK price for the 5-door is £27,510, 3-door is £29,995, this doesn't seem too bad, especially as the spec includes leather and Xenons (only confusing thing is that the 3 door is more expensive unlike the rest of the range). For comparison it is £32,135 for the 135i M Sport coupe which has neither (£1700 for both as options).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Nater
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Briskly

I take it that this car does not have a LSD?

Bummer.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Hey,
If the car doesn't have LSD can someone confirm the xdrive version has the torque vectoring fm the x6 cuz if not, I really don't see the point of this.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

"So the N55 was an excellent match, there was no need to use the N54. Especially seeing as the N55 sets standards in the segment in terms of fuel consumption and CO2 emissions."

Admission the change from N54 to N55 was economy related, that the N54 with two separate turbos is better?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
ZED4Mjjl
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6 Coupé

Door sills look good! engine bay shows new cover with M logo and revised air box? Wonder if anything else was changed?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
"So the N55 was an excellent match, there was no need to use the N54. Especially seeing as the N55 sets standards in the segment in terms of fuel consumption and CO2 emissions."

Admission the change from N54 to N55 was economy related, that the N54 with two separate turbos is better?
Obviously. In fact, this was well known before. When BMW M opted for the N54 for the 1 series M coupe development and not for the N55 both engineers and executives made clear statements about N54 being more suitable for extra power and torque and for further tuning possibilites, there were also rumours that the N54 wouldn't be able to meet forthcoming tighter emissions standarts in various markets. Plus, the two turbo set up of N54 gives less turbo lag. N55 is really an emissions and consumption oriented unit despite similar or identical output.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
German Engineering
Slovenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Obviously. In fact, this was well known before. When BMW M opted for the N54 for the 1 series M coupe development and not for the N55 both engineers and executives made clear statements about N54 being more suitable for extra power and torque and for further tuning possibilites, there were also rumours that the N54 wouldn't be able to meet forthcoming tighter emissions standarts in various markets. Plus, the two turbo set up of N54 gives less turbo lag. N55 is really an emissions and consumption oriented unit despite similar or identical output.
Doesn't the N55 have less turbo lag? If you compare the N55 and N54 both with 306hp, the N55 has max torque available already at 1200rpm (100rpm sooner). Isn't the purpuse of twin scroll tubines to make less lag?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

so if my converting is correct, this will have about 315 horsepower and 335 torque? So its a 135is

I am pretty sure a $1,000 CPU adjustment can give you a lot more power than that (at least on the horsepower side)

I was really hoping to eventually see a M135i sedan with AWD (which leftlane news is reporting as coming to the US) but with the old 1M power output! oh well. Audi S3/RS3 Sedan and Mercedas CLA AMG will be available with 350 HP...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
yemski
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 1M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Engineering
Quote:
Doesn't the N55 have less turbo lag? If you compare the N55 and N54 both with 306hp, the N55 has max torque available already at 1200rpm (100rpm sooner). Isn't the purpuse of twin scroll tubines to make less lag?
I have driven both the N54 and N55 in various applications and felt more turbo lag in the N55.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Engineering View Post
In real life driving conditions you never can reach those max torque levels at those rpms. You need to be pushing the car in the sixth gear at 1200 rpm for that. Those numbers do not really give you an understanding of either the throttle response or the turbo lag of the two engines.

The bottom line is the reason for passing from N54 to N55 or from a twin turbo set up to twin scroll single turbo set up was mainly due to achieve better efficiency, not more performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #17
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yemski View Post
I have driven both the N54 and N55 in various applications and felt more turbo lag in the N55.
That's what I am talking about, real driving experiences by users usually support this.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #18
German Engineering
Slovenia
Rep

Quote:
In real life driving conditions you never can reach those max torque levels at those rpms. You need to be pushing the car in the sixth gear at 1200 rpm for that. Those numbers do not really give you an understanding of either the throttle response or the turbo lag of the two engines.

The bottom line is the reason for passing from N54 to N55 or from a twin turbo set up to twin scroll single turbo set up was mainly due to achieve better efficiency, not more performance.
I've never driven a BMW with the N54, just the N55. Thanks for the information. What about Valvetronic? Does it make any difference in the N55?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #19
foxyman
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI Manual

Are the tyres run flats?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

This makes me wonder what will find its way into the coupe. I think the concept of designing for real roads with bumps is valid. Most cars never see a track.
      05-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #21
ORA
Banned
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

how is a 0-60 time of 4.9 seconds "class topping" when the Audi RS3 does it in about 4 seconds with DSG.

Another fail for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #22
jpdb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M,M2,M2,M2C,X3M,X3MC,M3C

Quote:
The rumor is that the next M3 is going to have a modified version of the N55 so it can worst! Also i have had both engines and believe me the N55 has less lag and its faster than the N54 in Stock conditions, not even to mention a 135i N55 DCT with PPK Stage 2 its faster than a M Coupe in straights. I also have had confirmation from different countrys BMW Techs that the N55 is a better engine
Appreciate 0