BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 Urban half leather trim problem
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Smileysteve
New Member
 
Drives: F20 120D Urban
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

F20 Urban half leather trim problem

I am finding the drivers seat extremely uncomfortable.

My journey is 80 mins each way to and from work and after about 15 mins I start to have a very uncomfortable numbing feeling to the side of my thigh / back side.
The problem is there is a join of leather double stitched on the side walls of the lower seat and it is like each thigh sitting on a biro pen!

I wondered if anyone else was experiencing similar issues with this design seat? Posture is fine, a really comfortable seat apart from the experience described.
Smileysteve is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
MartinHattingh
Private First Class
 
MartinHattingh's Avatar
 
Drives: 118i Urban
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cape Town

Posts: 185
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Hmmm, can't say I've experienced the same. I think the fact that I'm a skinny 69kg guy prevents me from sitting on the portion you describe...

BTW, I was quite surprised to find that the Metro "leather" is in fact Sensatec and not the real cow stuff. After a bit of research though, I'm fine with this, as it seems the synthetic stuff lasts longer, wears better (important when it's white) and wicks moisture better.
MartinHattingh is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
ATX78703
Captain
 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 996
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileysteve
I am finding the drivers seat extremely uncomfortable.

My journey is 80 mins each way to and from work and after about 15 mins I start to have a very uncomfortable numbing feeling to the side of my thigh / back side.
The problem is there is a join of leather double stitched on the side walls of the lower seat and it is like each thigh sitting on a biro pen!

I wondered if anyone else was experiencing similar issues with this design seat? Posture is fine, a really comfortable seat apart from the experience described.
Sounds like piriformis syndrome. Tilt the front of ur seat dwn a little bit to prevent ur posterior hip from rubbing that uncomfortable stitching. It will seem weird at first, but is actually better for ur spine in the long run as it will force ur abs and low back muscles to stay active.
__________________
2014 335i RWD: ZMM, ZDA, ZDH, ZPP, ZTP, 2NH, 2TB, 5DL; Z4A MPPK; AW ext / VB int

2014 ML350: P01, R33, 297, 319, 846, 864, 889, 996; LB ext / AB int
ATX78703 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
bimmer man
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 335ix GT . 2013 x1 18d
Join Date: May 2008
Location: norway, kristiansund

Posts: 490
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileysteve View Post
I am finding the drivers seat extremely uncomfortable.

My journey is 80 mins each way to and from work and after about 15 mins I start to have a very uncomfortable numbing feeling to the side of my thigh / back side.
The problem is there is a join of leather double stitched on the side walls of the lower seat and it is like each thigh sitting on a biro pen!

I wondered if anyone else was experiencing similar issues with this design seat? Posture is fine, a really comfortable seat apart from the experience described.
My wife has Urban model. It is good to sit in. No discomfort, it has partial leather sports seats and it is real Dakota leather.
Attached Images
 
bimmer man is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
Smileysteve
New Member
 
Drives: F20 120D Urban
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileysteve
I am finding the drivers seat extremely uncomfortable.

My journey is 80 mins each way to and from work and after about 15 mins I start to have a very uncomfortable numbing feeling to the side of my thigh / back side.
The problem is there is a join of leather double stitched on the side walls of the lower seat and it is like each thigh sitting on a biro pen!

I wondered if anyone else was experiencing similar issues with this design seat? Posture is fine, a really comfortable seat apart from the experience described.
Sounds like piriformis syndrome. Tilt the front of ur seat dwn a little bit to prevent ur posterior hip from rubbing that uncomfortable stitching. It will seem weird at first, but is actually better for ur spine in the long run as it will force ur abs and low back muscles to stay active.
My seats do not have the tilt option. But I know the function you describe as my previous E87 had this. I am going to have to place some kind of seat cover on top because I can not bear it for 80 min journeys.
Smileysteve is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
Smileysteve
New Member
 
Drives: F20 120D Urban
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHattingh
Hmmm, can't say I've experienced the same. I think the fact that I'm a skinny 69kg guy prevents me from sitting on the portion you describe...

BTW, I was quite surprised to find that the Metro "leather" is in fact Sensatec and not the real cow stuff. After a bit of research though, I'm fine with this, as it seems the synthetic stuff lasts longer, wears better (important when it's white) and wicks moisture better.
I am only 76 kg. Perhaps if I become over weight the extra fat will act as a cushion and resolve my problem lol
Smileysteve is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2012, 02:44 AM   #7
bimmer man
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 335ix GT . 2013 x1 18d
Join Date: May 2008
Location: norway, kristiansund

Posts: 490
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileysteve View Post
I am only 76 kg. Perhaps if I become over weight the extra fat will act as a cushion and resolve my problem lol
Yes a good solution, eat a lot of fatty foods and candy and get a real fat ass. ha ha.
bimmer man is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2012, 02:55 AM   #8
Kiwi
Private
 
Drives: 2012 116i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Auckland New Zealand

Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

Take the car back and say you are having problems with the seats. BMW will do modifications to make you happy even arrange for the seats to be adjusted.

I once had a problem with a new 116ti Compact with a noisy rear diff at 60mph. BMW tried a few replacement diffs but in the end BMW stripped all the interior out and added sound proofing. I had the most quite car in town.
__________________
12 BMW 116i
09 BMW g450x enduro
08 BMW g650x challenger
Kiwi is offline   New Zealand
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
MartinHattingh
Private First Class
 
MartinHattingh's Avatar
 
Drives: 118i Urban
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cape Town

Posts: 185
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer man View Post
it has partial leather sports seats and it is real Dakota leather.
Interesting that it's Dakota leather... Did you have to spec it like that specifically or do the sports seats come with real leather as standard? I thought mine was real (a salesman told me it was ), but if I reach underneath the seat from behind it, there is a little bit of loose flap which you can feel the synthetic fabric lining on the backside of.
MartinHattingh is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
bimmer man
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 335ix GT . 2013 x1 18d
Join Date: May 2008
Location: norway, kristiansund

Posts: 490
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHattingh View Post
Interesting that it's Dakota leather... Did you have to spec it like that specifically or do the sports seats come with real leather as standard? I thought mine was real (a salesman told me it was ), but if I reach underneath the seat from behind it, there is a little bit of loose flap which you can feel the synthetic fabric lining on the backside of.
may be that this applies to sports seats, it was my wife who ordered the car. but I'm sure it's leather seats because I have cleaned them and had the car on leather processing,
http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662633

Last edited by bimmer man; 03-31-2012 at 03:39 PM.
bimmer man is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST