BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > iPhone audio connection
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
WoodyMMIX
Registered
 
Drives: BMW 116d Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Berkshire

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

iPhone audio connection

Hi, sorry I know there are lots of posts similar to this one but I just can't find the answer I need...

I have (ordered) a new BMW 116d Sport. This comes with the BMW Professional stereo (663) and includes Bluetooth handsfree telephone connection (6NH)

In the armrest there is a USB socket and a 3.5mm jack socket. If I am right, I need to buy a Y piece connector (iPod connector into 3.5mm jack plug and USB connector) to plug my iPhone 4 into the car to play music. Is this correct?

But.....

Am I better buying the Audio Accessory 'Snap in" cradle for connecting my iPhone?

What does the cradle do?

Will the cradle fit my car or do I need to have a particular option?

I am so confused. All i want to do is find the best fit for my iphone to allow Bluetooth calls and play music via the car stereo and steering wheel controls.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks.
WoodyMMIX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
bimmer man
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 640i Convertible, 518d lci
Join Date: May 2008
Location: norway, kristiansund

Posts: 492
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 640i  [5.00]
you need code 6FL USB audio interface and code 6NF Enhanced connectivity for Iphone and mobile phone with MP3 fugsjon. Telephone charged via adapter and use shark fin antenna for better singnal. play music via the iDrive and get live picture of the artist in the screen, if you have navi pro. This is what I have in my 535d xDrive 2012.
bimmer man is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Viva87
Private First Class
 
Drives: F20 118i sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: England

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer man
you need code 6FL USB audio interface and code 6NF Enhanced connectivity for Iphone and mobile phone with MP3 fugsjon. Telephone charged via adapter and use shark fin antenna for better singnal. play music via the iDrive and get live picture of the artist in the screen, if you have navi pro. This is what I have in my 535d xDrive 2012.
What's does all this mean in english
Viva87 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
bimmer man
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 640i Convertible, 518d lci
Join Date: May 2008
Location: norway, kristiansund

Posts: 492
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 640i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva87 View Post
What's does all this mean in english
It is factory codes you need to play music with the Iphone adapter in the center console, My English is maybe not so good.
Attached Images
 
bimmer man is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
Viva87
Private First Class
 
Drives: F20 118i sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: England

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva87 View Post
What's does all this mean in english
It is factory codes you need to play music with the Iphone adapter in the center console, My English is maybe not so good.
Apologies it was an English term as in your english is very good but to technical for a thicko likes haha I have the standard system in my 118 could I have the snap in ?

I just connect an aux cable to play music don't I ?

And just turn my bluetooth on on m phone pair the phone to the idrive
to use the Bluetooth hands free ???
Viva87 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
eezzee
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F20
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyMMIX
Hi, sorry I know there are lots of posts similar to this one but I just can't find the answer I need...

I have (ordered) a new BMW 116d Sport. This comes with the BMW Professional stereo (663) and includes Bluetooth handsfree telephone connection (6NH)

In the armrest there is a USB socket and a 3.5mm jack socket. If I am right, I need to buy a Y piece connector (iPod connector into 3.5mm jack plug and USB connector) to plug my iPhone 4 into the car to play music. Is this correct?

But.....

Am I better buying the Audio Accessory 'Snap in" cradle for connecting my iPhone?

What does the cradle do?

Will the cradle fit my car or do I need to have a particular option?

I am so confused. All i want to do is find the best fit for my iphone to allow Bluetooth calls and play music via the car stereo and steering wheel controls.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks.
You are indeed right, all you need is the BMW y cable to plug in your iPhone, charge it, and pair with the car through Bluetooth. Can also listen to music etc. contained on the phone. It's the set up I have in mine.

Can't speak about the other phone related options, e.g. 6NF adaptor, not sure what it offers other than album cover art to be displayed on the screen and additional voice control features.
eezzee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Viva87
Private First Class
 
Drives: F20 118i sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: England

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eezzee
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyMMIX
Hi, sorry I know there are lots of posts similar to this one but I just can't find the answer I need...

I have (ordered) a new BMW 116d Sport. This comes with the BMW Professional stereo (663) and includes Bluetooth handsfree telephone connection (6NH)

In the armrest there is a USB socket and a 3.5mm jack socket. If I am right, I need to buy a Y piece connector (iPod connector into 3.5mm jack plug and USB connector) to plug my iPhone 4 into the car to play music. Is this correct?

But.....

Am I better buying the Audio Accessory 'Snap in" cradle for connecting my iPhone?

What does the cradle do?

Will the cradle fit my car or do I need to have a particular option?

I am so confused. All i want to do is find the best fit for my iphone to allow Bluetooth calls and play music via the car stereo and steering wheel controls.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks.
You are indeed right, all you need is the BMW y cable to plug in your iPhone, charge it, and pair with the car through Bluetooth. Can also listen to music etc. contained on the phone. It's the set up I have in mine.

Can't speak about the other phone related options, e.g. 6NF adaptor, not sure what it offers other than album cover art to be displayed on the screen and additional voice control features.
Can you use snap in on standard system ??
Viva87 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
eezzee
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F20
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

I don't think so. Has to be factory specified.
eezzee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2012, 03:51 AM   #9
WoodyMMIX
Registered
 
Drives: BMW 116d Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Berkshire

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Thanks

Thanks for the quick posts.

It seems that the Y piece connector will do the job and the cradle option is not required for a 116d Sport.

Glad I asked now before buying one!

Thanks to all.

Woody
WoodyMMIX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2012, 03:34 AM   #10
Gras
Private First Class
 
Drives: F20 116i, Urban, Auto
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Athens

Posts: 118
iTrader: (0)

If you go to the service station for your BMW you can ask them to try the adapter before you buy. At least this is what i did. They had both adapters, standard snap in and media snap in adapter. The first one didn't work because i have the Nav sys professional and i had to buy the second one which was more expensive. The adapter is good to have since you can use the external antenna.
Gras is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
dib669
New Member
 
Drives: e93 M3
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North West England

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

You don't need the y cable.

Post Sept 2011 build BMWs are quite capable of running on the Apple cable. In fact, you don't get the album artwork on the iDrive display through the y cable but you do through the Apple cable. I know because I bought one and returned it.

You will not get the benefit of the car's antenna if you don't get the snap-in (I'm perfectly happy with the performance of the phone without it , though)
dib669 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
Viva87
Private First Class
 
Drives: F20 118i sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: England

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dib669
You don't need the y cable.

Post Sept 2011 build BMWs are quite capable of running on the Apple cable. In fact, you don't get the album artwork on the iDrive display through the y cable but you do through the Apple cable. I know because I bought one and returned it.

You will not get the benefit of the car's antenna if you don't get the snap-in (I'm perfectly happy with the performance of the phone without it , though)
Can anyone second this because I am in process of buying ycable haha
Viva87 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
Gras
Private First Class
 
Drives: F20 116i, Urban, Auto
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Athens

Posts: 118
iTrader: (0)

I would recommend you to go for the snap in adapter. Its not only for having stronger signal but you minimize the antenna radiation effect inside the passenger cabin as well.
Gras is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2012, 02:29 AM   #14
me11ada
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2011 1 Series F20 118D Sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Huddersfield

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dib669
You don't need the y cable.

Post Sept 2011 build BMWs are quite capable of running on the Apple cable. In fact, you don't get the album artwork on the iDrive display through the y cable but you do through the Apple cable. I know because I bought one and returned it.

You will not get the benefit of the car's antenna if you don't get the snap-in (I'm perfectly happy with the performance of the phone without it , though)
+1

I do the same, use the apple cable, returned the y-cable all works fine, I have option to fit a cradle but seems like if I have to open the arm rest it's just as easy to plug it into the cable so didn't buy that either at £130
me11ada is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #15
eezzee
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F20
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by me11ada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dib669
You don't need the y cable.

Post Sept 2011 build BMWs are quite capable of running on the Apple cable. In fact, you don't get the album artwork on the iDrive display through the y cable but you do through the Apple cable. I know because I bought one and returned it.

You will not get the benefit of the car's antenna if you don't get the snap-in (I'm perfectly happy with the performance of the phone without it , though)
+1

I do the same, use the apple cable, returned the y-cable all works fine, I have option to fit a cradle but seems like if I have to open the arm rest it's just as easy to plug it into the cable so didn't buy that either at £130
I don't think is true with the standard setup. I tried earlier with just the apple cable connected to USB and it didn't pick up the music library on the iPhone. However BMW y cable works flawlessly.
eezzee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 05:28 AM   #16
Matt T
Private
 
Drives: F20 120d Sport-line
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Munich, Germany

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

FYI, I also have "BMW Professional stereo", as well as the "hands-free with USB port" option. So I can play music from a USB stick just fine (works great).

But I didn't get the "Enhanced connectivity for Iphone...". My girlfriend hooked her iphone up to the USB port on the weekend (standard Apple cable), but we just got a "not supported" message.
Matt T is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #17
eezzee
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F20
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

Indeed. Had the same message.
eezzee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #18
Lars_HH
New Member
 
Drives: BMW 116D ED
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Any other experiences with the cable. I will get my car this monday without bluetooth and only the standard BMW professional Radio.Can I use the IPhone cable? I do have to buy the Y-Cable to see and control music via the multifunction steering wheel.
Lars_HH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #19
Viva87
Private First Class
 
Drives: F20 118i sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: England

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars_HH
Any other experiences with the cable. I will get my car this monday without bluetooth and only the standard BMW professional Radio.Can I use the IPhone cable? I do have to buy the Y-Cable to see and control music via the multifunction steering wheel.
Hey mate I can't post a vid if u want I got a demo car today for the weekend I used the iPhone charge cable -- that just charges it ha then used an aux cable which obv works but u can only control it from the phone not the idrive so you need a Y cable basically £15 eBay £40 BMW but few guys on here got em for free lol
Viva87 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
Lars_HH
New Member
 
Drives: BMW 116D ED
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Ok, thanks for quick respons, any of your guys have a direct link to a Y cable that works?
Lars_HH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #21
Smileysteve
New Member
 
Drives: F20 120D Urban
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars_HH
Ok, thanks for quick respons, any of your guys have a direct link to a Y cable that works?
Search for this eBay item. It works perfectly with my 4S in my F20. Item #: 230705189818
Smileysteve is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2012, 02:20 AM   #22
Lars_HH
New Member
 
Drives: BMW 116D ED
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Thanks a lot Steve
Lars_HH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST