BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > First 2012 BMW 1-series Reviews Roll In - Auto Express on the F20

07-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post First 2012 BMW 1-series Reviews Roll In - Auto Express on the F20

BIMMERPOST NEWS
First 2012 BMW 1-series F20 Reviews Roll In - Auto Express on the F20
COMMENTS
Name:  P90080446.jpg
Views: 17966
Size:  124.9 KB

We've seen plenty of photos and videos on the F20, but how does it perform? Reviews are beginning to flow in from this week's first press drives, and Auto Express (full review) has come in with their first impressions. They gave it a 4 of 5 rating and here's how their first experience with the F20 went:

Quote:
Rating:

Well, while the 1 Series may mark the gateway to BMW ownership, but the German firm hasn’t cut any corners. Not only is it slightly bigger than before, but it’s cheaper to run and comes packed with gadgets. It’s also still the only rear-wheel drive car in its class so it should be fun too.

Prices start from £19,375 for a 116i in ES trim. Five-door versions will go on sale in September, and you can expect three-door to follow in 2012 with a Coupe and Convertible a year or so after. 

Love it or hate it, the 1 Series has always stood out – and the firm has applied an evolutionary approach to the new model. Gone is the edgy ‘flame surfacing’ design language, replaced by an altogether smoother look influenced by the latest 5 and 6 Series. 

There are still large kidney grilles at the front, and they’re joined by curvier headlights. At the rear there are softer LED tail-lamps but the wider stance and flared wheelarches make it seem lower and sportier. 

Step inside and the cabin certainly ticks the quality box. All the controls are chunky, the dashboard is trimmed in soft-touch plastics and there’s a generous amount of leather. 

There’s plenty of equipment too. Even entry-level ES models come with aircon and stop-start, while SE versions get a 6.5-inch flatscreen monitor and a Bluetooth hands-free with USB connectivity.
Name:  P90080351.jpg
Views: 23697
Size:  89.9 KB

Name:  P90080389.jpg
Views: 14498
Size:  116.3 KB

Quote:
BMW’s Drive Performance Control is standard on all models, which gives the driver four ‘modes’ to choose from. These include Comfort – the standard setting – and Sport – which sharpens steering, throttle and suspension, while Sport + allows more rear wheel slip.

But the most useful is ECO PRO, which helps drivers save fuel, by adjusting throttle response to encourage more eco-minded driving and limiting the use of the air-conditioning, heated mirrors and seats. The increases in fuel economy are displayed on the dashboard, showing how far extra the car can travel as a result. It’s a really clever and easy to use system, which has you driving more economically without even realising it.

There are plenty of ‘big car’ options too, including lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control and Internet access. Another welcome new feature is the amount of personalisation on offer. In addition to ES, SE and M Sport trims, buyers can now select Urban or Sport. 

Name:  P90080446.jpg
Views: 17966
Size:  124.9 KB

Quote:
What’s the difference? Well, Urban gets a host of interior and exterior visual ‘highlights’, including unique 17-inch white alloys, white wing mirrors and a white slats for the kidney grilles. 

Sport gets unique 17-inch alloy wheel, plus a high-gloss black kidney grille, central air intake trim, side intake surrounds and rear bumper trim as well as M Sports suspension.

It’s by far the more successful of the two; the white bits on the Urban car are less than subtle. 

Bosses reckon that UK buyers will agree, with most 1 Series being ordered in Sport or M Sport guise, the latter adding a bodykit and a host of M goodies such as alloy wheels, suspension tweaks and an M steering wheel.
Name:  P90080303.jpg
Views: 13558
Size:  96.6 KB

Quote:
Under the bonnet is a new 1.6-litre TwinPower turbocharged petrol engine, which comes with direct injection, variable valve timing and a clever twin-scroll turbo, which makes more efficient use of the engine’s exhaust gases. 

The 116i gets a 136bhp version and we tested the 170bhp 118i.

It’s a great unit, with a wide spread of torque and a smooth note. It’s fast too – 0-62mph takes 7.4 seconds and there’s plenty of shove for overtaking. Factor in a six-speed manual gearbox with long-legged top ratio and you’ve got a car that’s just as effective on a B-road as it is at cruising quietly on the motorway. 

Thanks to Efficient Dynamics – standard across the line-up and including start-stop and brake energy recovery – the 118i is capable of returning around 48mpg and emitting 137g/km of CO2, which is very impressive given its performance.

Diesel choices all come in the shape of a 2.0-litre turbocharged unit with 143bhp for the 118d and 184bhp for the 120d. The 114bhp 116d is the most efficient from launch, though, returning 66mpg and emitting 114g/km. However, a 1.6-litre 116d EfficientDynamics arrives next year, boasting 74mpg and 99g/km. Exempt from road tax and the London congestion charge, it should be a hit with company car drivers and private buyers who are keen to cut their bills.

But is the new 1 Series fun to drive? Undoubtedly. With a rear-wheel drive chassis, wider front and rear tracks plus 50:50 weight distribution, it’s an agile and involving machine. What’s more BMW’s engineers have learnt how to tune an electric steering system to give the driver real feedback – no car in the class tells you as much about what the front wheels are doing.

And engineers have also been paying attention to UK roads too. Like the current 5 Series and 6 Series, the 1 Series has been tested on British tarmac. It certainly shows, because the ride is greatly improved. Thanks to new front damper mountings with increased compliance, the 1 Series soaks up bumps more confidently and even stiffer Sport versions are much more comfortable. Make no mistake, it’s still firm, but it’s a vast improvement over the old car.

Is the rest of the car such a leap forward? Not quite. It’s not a revolution, but the incremental improvements in efficiency, gadgetry and driver appeal add up to a really impressive small car. As ever, though, it’s not cheap to buy and rear seat space could be better. But in every other respect, the new 1 Series is going to take some beating.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Liking it more and more. I would never drive one, but I like it.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Love the interior!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
brio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Those headlights are disturbing! I'm sure it drives great though.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Not in the USA...
      07-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

People like to buy UP, not DOWN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post

BMW doesn't understand that you bring out the halo car first, then allow people to buy into that idea, even if their car isn't a M model. It sets the tone for ownership. (ie: Brand Marketing)

People buy a normal Mustangs, because the insurance is way cheaper, then over time, upgrade their cars to look & feel like the GT.

Example:
If BMW would 've came out with a F20 M.. which undoubtedly would be all over the Mags tearing sh!t up. ...THEN people will buy into the 1 series in the States, because they have seen the Halo car. And even if they cannot afford that trim level, it gives them more safety knowing their car still has a look-alike brother that can play with Vettes.

You'd have young adults in line to buy these new 1 series.

BMW brings out the 116i, 120d with such un-inspiring features, & even less about the ultimate driving the machine.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
axoid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 128i

Quote:
It’s also still the only rear-wheel drive car in its class so it should be fun too.
I thought this was BMW step into FWD cars?

Bill [92 Camaro RS (Autocross ESP / Trackrat) | 09 BMW 128i Sport Package]
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by axoid View Post
I thought this was BMW step into FWD cars?
No, the upcoming entry level 1-series models will be FWD. There will be both FWD and RWD 1-series models. The upcoming coupe variant will be called the 2-series.

See a summary here: http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536650
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Zunkung
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 318ise

Thks for the nice review!

"What’s more BMW’s engineers have learnt how to tune an electric steering system to give the driver real feedback."

This is what makes me feel good and love the most about this review!! I believe It will get even better in the next coming 3-series F30! Woooo!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

cant wait for this car... i need one in white.
      07-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunkung View Post
"What’s more BMW’s engineers have learnt how to tune an electric steering system to give the driver real feedback."

This is what makes me feel good and love the most about this review!! I believe It will get even better in the next coming 3-series F30! Woooo!!
That part stood out to me as well! If really true, then kudos to BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

They seem to have gotten EVERYTHING right except the freakin' exterior. "Big-car features" like lane departure warning, an interior that is a definite improvement over the current 1er, decent engines, 4 driving modes standard (regular, eco, sport, sport+), great mileage, great performance... It's a winner... except the freaking' styling. Everybody in the US is so concerned with image. People buy Camaros and Challengers because they look like they're from "Transformers" inside and out (especially the inside of the Camaro... looks like a retarded 8 year old with a hot wheels obsession designed it).. sad, but it'll turn many prospective US buyers away from this car because "it looks goofy" without even realizing the positive aspects of it..

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #13
lasovan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 320

AUTOCAR's first drive review here:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...chback/258168/
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #14
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
They seem to have gotten EVERYTHING right except the freakin' exterior. "Big-car features" like lane departure warning, an interior that is a definite improvement over the current 1er, decent engines, 4 driving modes standard (regular, eco, sport, sport+), great mileage, great performance... It's a winner... except the freaking' styling. Everybody in the US is so concerned with image. People buy Camaros and Challengers because they look like they're from "Transformers" inside and out (especially the inside of the Camaro... looks like a retarded 8 year old with a hot wheels obsession designed it).. sad, but it'll turn many prospective US buyers away from this car because "it looks goofy" without even realizing the positive aspects of it..
The F20 won't be sold in the US anyway.

And the 2-series coupe and convertible versions (which will be sold in US) is rumored to receive some different/unique styling.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The F20 won't be sold in the US anyway.

And the 2-series coupe and convertible versions (which will be sold in US) is rumored to receive some different/unique styling.
I would expect this to be true, so BMW can attach a slightly higher price tag. Think of 5er/6er or X5/X6.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #16
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

I want the 120d - if they sold it in the US I would put a deposit down now!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #17
Vanos1
Vanos1 -contact me for Servicing and Repairs (Mids
England
Rep

Quote:

BMW doesn't understand that you bring out the halo car first, then allow people to buy into that idea, even if their car isn't a M model. It sets the tone for ownership. (ie: Brand Marketing)

People buy a normal Mustangs, because the insurance is way cheaper, then over time, upgrade their cars to look & feel like the GT.

Example:
If BMW would 've came out with a F20 M.. which undoubtedly would be all over the Mags tearing sh!t up. ...THEN people will buy into the 1 series in the States, because they have seen the Halo car. And even if they cannot afford that trim level, it gives them more safety knowing their car still has a look-alike brother that can play with Vettes.

You'd have young adults in line to buy these new 1 series.

BMW brings out the 116i, 120d with such un-inspiring features, & even less about the ultimate driving the machine.
Yeah cos like BMW need to learn from Chevrolet and Ford!! lol
Which company got bailed out due to going bankrupt?!

More blue sky thinking?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #18
Vanos1
Vanos1 -contact me for Servicing and Repairs (Mids
England
Rep

Quote:
Yes, typically..

And, only if you don't know what you want, so u might lease instead of buy, until you find what you want.

I have noticed that the younger generation doesn't know BMW(~30). They might know the hi-revving M3, but nothing of BMW heritage & engineering prowess.

Yes, they NAME, but not what drives the enthusiasm of the brand. So they don't see themselves driving one, only for prestige and to many Americans, that is excess. The middle class (& most of the country) is in lock down and saving every penny.

So a "Bimmer" just isn't feasible, or sellable to the wife (or, even yourself).

But if BMW shows that leasing is not the answer, but BUYING a high quality car, that though initially higher cost, the value is extended over 5~7 years... and no payments!

(The logic sells itself, many times over.)

Everything is brought to bear with the M model & a Halo car based on premium BMW engineering, then featuring that performance & handling (& tech), but in diminutive trim, that cuts the edge off the M car, but adds more to the family formula of efficiency, greenness, cost structure, upmanship... a formula that makes sense to nearly any family who needs utility..? (ie: everyone)

When you reach a formula that sits nicely in almost any driveway, you then sell that car, as that solution.

You don't hid it behind Urban/Sport Euro douchebag nonsense. You get down to business and show them what these cars are capable of (BMW M hatchback banging curbs @ teh ring), then show them a model that based on that, but gets 41MPG and cost $20k less...

And you have a line out the door, forever.

Edit:
Ironically, that^ is how you create a club! When u have 120d peeps, running with M'rs. It's the camaraderie of club sporting. But I understand that BMW wants to sell efficient models first, to meet regulations. But that doesn't mean they should dangle carrots either.

note:
If people hearts are telling them to buy a car, then they find out their wallets are too..? Thats how u market!

What are you talking about, car clubs etc??!!

BMW is a business.

You will actually find that a company makes more money through financing / leasing than through a straight purchase.
I am sure they know what they are doing.

Not all of BMW's customers want or aspire to an M Powered car, they want a luxury model or a prestigous hatchback or a "green car".

Open your eyes to what customers want, walk in their shoes and not yours.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #19
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
I would expect this to be true, so BMW can attach a slightly higher price tag. Think of 5er/6er or X5/X6.
I really hope that means... fixing the front exterior
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 12:09 AM   #20
littleyellowm3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MR E90 M3

The original user of the animated Bert and Ernie avatar. Except no substitutes.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 04:40 AM   #21
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

The posts on this car are fascinating and illuminating.

For many years, as a Canadian living in Asia, I have read US based forums and all the posts from US consumers begging for Polos, Lupos, wagons and other hatchbacks...proclaiming there really is a market for such cars in the US.

And then...the almost universal outcry of FAIL emerges from those sames posters over the design elements of this car. I certainly agree with many; this car is not for me either.

But there are so many aspiring Asians and Europeans out there who value the practicality that this car offers in a small size, its lower price, and the prestige of the brand. Yes, we call them badge-whores. But how many of them will go on to 3 series, 5, 7s, and increasingly, X3s and X5s, the ultimate US approved hatchbacks, er, oops, SUVs?

I'm not here to tell people what they ought to like. I'm just sharing my opinion..this car is going to sell VERY well in its intended markets, bring 1000s of newly affluent consumers to the brand, and satisfy its core consumers with the pride of ownership that comes with the beloved blue and white roundel.

Cheers to BMW management that have the foresight to develop these markets, increase sales, brand presence, and profitability so that my next F32 is going to rock my world the way this F20 is going to rock someone else's!

And scarily...the more I am exposed to the design...the more it is growing on me!

Let's hope anyway!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #22
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I love hatchbacks and I'm really waiting to drive this baby