BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) > Waterless Wash vs Quick Detailer

04-04-2023, 11:07 PM   #1
Nick8915
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Waterless Wash vs Quick Detailer

I have an X3 M40i with an Opti-Coat Pro + ceramic coating, and I am looking for something to quickly clean-off bugs and other light grime in between maintenance washes. I am exploring the Swift Wipe Waterless Wash, and the Hydrospeed Ceramic Quick Detailer, both from the Chemical guys. I read on their website that both are safe to use for ceramic coated vehicles, but wanted to get some real-world feedback from someone other than the manufacturer of the product.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these products for their ceramic coated vehicle? Is one a better choice to use over the other for my specific situation? Any negatives to consider with either product?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 11:31 PM   #2
Jbrown7403
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

I’ve used this for years and I love it. It’s a concentrate so it’s very economical. Spray on and wipe off…… great in a pinch
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jayh74843.50
      04-04-2023, 11:54 PM   #3
Ivilla035
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick8915 View Post
I have an X3 M40i with an Opti-Coat Pro + ceramic coating, and I am looking for something to quickly clean-off bugs and other light grime in between maintenance washes. I am exploring the Swift Wipe Waterless Wash, and the Hydrospeed Ceramic Quick Detailer, both from the Chemical guys. I read on their website that both are safe to use for ceramic coated vehicles, but wanted to get some real-world feedback from someone other than the manufacturer of the product.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these products for their ceramic coated vehicle? Is one a better choice to use over the other for my specific situation? Any negatives to consider with either product?

Thanks!
Stay away from the cemical guys hydro line, it's terrible. I've switched to exclusively carpro and koch chemie on my ceramic coated 340i. I was recommended to use a coat of carpro reload every six months to boost the coating, but as for rinseless wash, the Elixir is good.
Appreciate 3
      04-05-2023, 05:04 AM   #4
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

Optimum No Rinse in a pump sprayer and a bucket at 256:1 dilution ratio.
Appreciate 4
peelerec1053.50
P111593.00
chowser512038.50
      04-05-2023, 05:42 AM   #5
FastTyger
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i incoming

I use ONR at 1:16 for quick detailer.
Appreciate 2
P111593.00
      04-05-2023, 10:43 AM   #6
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivilla035 View Post
Stay away from the cemical guys hydro line, it's terrible. I've switched to exclusively carpro and koch chemie on my ceramic coated 340i. I was recommended to use a coat of carpro reload every six months to boost the coating, but as for rinseless wash, the Elixir is good.
I've heard alot of guys use CarPro's ECH20, diluted of course.
      04-05-2023, 10:47 AM   #7
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

ONR
https://theragcompany.com/products/o...-and-shine-onr
Appreciate 2
Ivilla035118.00
P111593.00
      04-05-2023, 02:19 PM   #8
james1138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

I bought am new to detailing but I bought Hydrospeed Ceramic Quick Detailer but I have only used it after a full wash. It did a nice job after the fact but I’d be interested in hearing how it does as a quick wash?

If the car is dusty or slightly dirty couldn’t only using this product without a wash cause scratches?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 04:50 PM   #9
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastTyger View Post
I use ONR at 1:16 for quick detailer.
Here's some other uses and ratios for ONR...

• Rinseless washing- 256:1
• Water softener – 256:1
• Glass cleaner – 256:1
• Clay bar lubricant – 64:1
• Quick detailer – 16:1
• Drying aid – 16:1
• Interior cleaner – 256:1
• Before pre-rinsing – 256:1
• Engine bay cleaning – 16:1

I clean my house windows with ONR 👍
Appreciate 2
P111593.00
      04-05-2023, 07:01 PM   #10
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Optimum No Rinse is referred to as one of the best. Tried and true, proven. Plenty of youtube videos demonstrate how to properly use it/dilute it, etc.
P111593.00
      04-06-2023, 03:24 PM   #11
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

I love my Wolfgang sios waterless/rinseless wash & quick detailer. Super slick and glossy, no streaking. Turn it into a clay lube as well.
      04-07-2023, 03:36 PM   #12
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick8915 View Post
I have an X3 M40i with an Opti-Coat Pro + ceramic coating, and I am looking for something to quickly clean-off bugs and other light grime in between maintenance washes.
Maybe you're doing too much with your maintenance washes then?

I use McKee's N914 out of a hydroshot and wash down sloppy with chenille mitts and dry with the double twistress.

I always have a 5 gallon bucket of de-ionized water & N914 sitting in my garage ready to go so all I do is slip in the battery, spray down the car, dip the mitts, wash, dry, then wash the mitts/towels with Rags-to-riches.

That process takes me ~20min for my X5, so I do it most days just for the NEAT and me time.

I also carry a marolex with N914 solution in the car in case of any bombs or quick wipe-ups.

TLDR
If you use a good "rinseless" process for maintenance washes then there is no light grime or bugs
Appreciate 2
chris7197393.50
      04-10-2023, 11:55 AM   #13
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Maybe you're doing too much with your maintenance washes then?

I use McKee's N914 out of a hydroshot and wash down sloppy with chenille mitts and dry with the double twistress.

I always have a 5 gallon bucket of de-ionized water & N914 sitting in my garage ready to go so all I do is slip in the battery, spray down the car, dip the mitts, wash, dry, then wash the mitts/towels with Rags-to-riches.

That process takes me ~20min for my X5, so I do it most days just for the NEAT and me time.

I also carry a marolex with N914 solution in the car in case of any bombs or quick wipe-ups.

TLDR
If you use a good "rinseless" process for maintenance washes then there is no light grime or bugs
That rag company is the poop! A lot of pro shops (and reputable youtubers) will tell you to only use rinseless in a pinch. My Sunjoe 3000 just quit after 5 years and looking to get an Active 2.0 washer that is sold out!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 05:29 PM   #14
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post

A lot of pro shops (and reputable youtubers) will tell you to only use rinseless in a pinch.
Well, a lot of pro shops & youtubers (few if any are reputable ), are trying to sell you stuff whereas I've been doing DIY 20 years, back when rinseless was called "RV wash" and I had to buy it by the case from an RV dealer.

The other thing with pros is, they're most concerned with speed & efficiency cleaning cars with unknown variables, whereas you & I are most concerned with quality cleaning cars we own.

Here's my car after 1.5 years, 15k, 4 trips from NorCal to Whistler and all I've ever done are rinseless washes and coated with Turtle Wax Seal-n-shine. It looks good enough to me!

Now, do I have all that other stuff? Yeah!

But, really, even when I use a foam cannon that's either for fun or for a good road film coating, and then my finish is always a "rinseless" wash.

Here's where I'd agree with the "in a pinch":
  • You haven't washed your car in 3+ months. At that point, unless you have PPF, you're gonna need a full decon.
  • You truly have no access to water of any kind

So the key to a great looking car: frequent washing! like every 2 weeks or less.

Why?

Because cars go through heat/cool cycles every day and when they heat up they open up little cracks in the paint; if your car is dirty, the dirt falls into those cracks and then the car cools and now that dirt is trapped. And now you have to decon, i.e., clay. If you wash every 2 weeks or less, you'll never have to clay. (or probably never).

And the best way to wash is to make it fast-n-easy, so here's my general (cheap) "rinseless" process:
  1. Spray off any caked on stuff - a hydroshot works fine for this
  2. Spray down the whole car with rinseless solution (I like N914) - I use the smallest hydroshot for this, takes 1 min, use deionized water
  3. Dip a clean chenille mitt in the bucket and wash using the Garry Dean Method, i.e., top to bottom, new mitts after every few passes
  4. Inspect for bugs, tar, etc as you wash; remove with a bug scrubber
  5. Dry with a blower or towel
That's a 20 min wash for me, or 40-45 if I do the wheels & tires

Last edited by GrussGott; 04-10-2023 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 5
HuskerNSC119.50
P111593.00
      04-11-2023, 02:53 AM   #15
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Well, a lot of pro shops & youtubers (few if any are reputable ), are trying to sell you stuff whereas I've been doing DIY 20 years, back when rinseless was called "RV wash" and I had to buy it by the case from an RV dealer.

The other thing with pros is, they're most concerned with speed & efficiency cleaning cars with unknown variables, whereas you & I are most concerned with quality cleaning cars we own.

Here's my car after 1.5 years, 15k, 4 trips from NorCal to Whistler and all I've ever done are rinseless washes and coated with Turtle Wax Seal-n-shine. It looks good enough to me!

Now, do I have all that other stuff? Yeah!

But, really, even when I use a foam cannon that's either for fun or for a good road film coating, and then my finish is always a "rinseless" wash.

Here's where I'd agree with the "in a pinch":
  • You haven't washed your car in 3+ months. At that point, unless you have PPF, you're gonna need a full decon.
  • You truly have no access to water of any kind

So the key to a great looking car: frequent washing! like every 2 weeks or less.

Why?

Because cars go through heat/cool cycles every day and when they heat up they open up little cracks in the paint; if your car is dirty, the dirt falls into those cracks and then the car cools and now that dirt is trapped. And now you have to decon, i.e., clay. If you wash every 2 weeks or less, you'll never have to clay. (or probably never).

And the best way to wash is to make it fast-n-easy, so here's my general (cheap) "rinseless" process:
  1. Spray off any caked on stuff - a hydroshot works fine for this
  2. Spray down the whole car with rinseless solution (I like N914) - I use the smallest hydroshot for this, takes 1 min, use deionized water
  3. Dip a clean chenille mitt in the bucket and wash using the Garry Dean Method, i.e., top to bottom, new mitts after every few passes
  4. Inspect for bugs, tar, etc as you wash; remove with a bug scrubber
  5. Dry with a blower or towel
That's a 20 min wash for me, or 40-45 if I do the wheels & tires
I do rinseless if the car isn’t too dirty, but I just find the cleaning power of N914 and ONR are not confidence inspiring if the car is actually in need of a wash. I also think you still have a higher chance of inducing swirls this way even though your method minimizes it.

I’ve been experimenting and started using a couple capfuls of ONR in a rinse bucket even with a soapy wash because it seems to help release dirt from the media.

If you’re ever too lazy to use a wax or sealant, I tried Gyeon Bathe+ in a foam cannon and it’s pretty awesome. You get a wash plus sealant in one. It was much more effective than I expected. I actually did a nearly touchless wash with it once. I foamed a mostly clean car with it, pressure washed it off, and then dried with an Ego 650. Minor dust / dirt gone and instant beading. It’s not a great soap and not a great sealant, but it’s pretty nice for the amount of effort. I suspect it is the same as WetCoat but combined with a soap. WetCoat is pretty decent too for hard to reach places and wheels. It also seems to have a slight rust inhibitor effect on the rotors.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2023, 01:55 AM   #16
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post

not confidence inspiring if the car is actually in need of a wash. I also think you still have a higher chance of inducing swirls this way even though your method minimizes it.
Yeah, I do use Superior Road Warrior or Pink Perfection for pre-washes if the car has a lot of road film since it's super cheap, available, and works really well.

The process is:
  1. Spray down with the pre-wash via foam cannon or Marolex sprayer and let it dwell (sometimes I'll lightly run a mitt over the bad parts)
  2. Spray rinse off with a Hydroshot or Kranzle or sometimes I just use the hose
  3. Spray down with rinseless + de-ionized water out of the small hydroshot
  4. Pull into the garage and wash & dry
That's been almost 100% marr free.

That said, I've got some marring on the tailgate and bumper from roadtrips or something so I'm going to polish this week probably.

In the meantime she's stripped so I"ve been doing rinseless washes every day
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 08:13 AM   #17
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ooooo Kransle. My Active 2.0 arrives today...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 08:18 AM   #18
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I’ve been experimenting and started using a couple capfuls of ONR in a rinse bucket even with a soapy wash because it seems to help release dirt from the media.
I do the same but I am OCD like OG and use a syringe...
Appreciate 1
chris7197393.50
      04-13-2023, 10:06 AM   #19
james1138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Is ONR safe for cars with a ceramic coating?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 10:09 AM   #20
aa2033
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1138 View Post
Is ONR safe for cars with a ceramic coating?
Yes. I use it as a quick detailer on my PPF and ceramic coated car. You can look up dilution ratios if you want to use it for a waterless wash, two bucket wash, or quick detailer.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 11:27 PM   #21
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
I've been extremely happy with Ultima Waterless Wash for the past few years. Takes a few MF cloths and 15-20 minutes to wash a car, and the polymer wax is very glossy. I have light coloured vehicles and I've gotten away with it when they should've had two bucket washes!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 01:54 PM   #22
br438
Infinite Boulder Roller
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Raptor

Like others, I have found that CG Hydro line of products is not for me.

I just picked up Griot's "Speed Shine" and "Best of Show" detailer.

Used best of show when I got home. It was great.

Best of Show says it can be used in sunlight. I didn't, but... it was warm out, and panels were warm, and it was fine.
Appreciate 0