BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Should my Winter Alloys fit the F20?

10-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Should my Winter Alloys fit the F20?

Hi Guys,

My Winter Alloys and Tyres arrived on Friday. I dont have my car yet so i was wondering whether anyone can confirm whether these will fit the car. The store i ordered them from knows the vehicle they are going onto, so i presume they will be fine, but since my car is coming in a month or so i just wanted to run this past your eyes, so any problems can be rectified early

To fit a 120d M-Sport F20:

7" x 16" Alloys
PCD: 5 x 120
Offset: 34

They have also sent me some new wheel bolts, i think they are marginally longer than the originals (but once again i dont have an original to test against). These match the locking wheel bolts i also ordered which are:

M14 x 1.25 (McGuard 27229SU - apparently the shaft length is 32mm) - with a 17mm socket end.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Check that the bolt holes in the wheels are large enough for 14mm bolts. Otherwise they will probably fit fine. If these are not BMW wheels, make sure they have the correct diameter for the hub when installing them. If there is play, you might need centre rings. (The centre hole inner diameter should be something like 72.5 mm).

34 mm offset is a bit on the low side, so the wheels will be rather flush with the sides of the car. This can be slightly annoying in the winter, as it will make them throw up more dirt on the sides of you car. You might want to do like me, and install mud flaps up front.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Ovekvam. I tried one of the locking wheel bolts and one of the new wheel bolts in the bolt hole on the alloy, and these seemed fine. Are the bolts that they have supplied sufficient for this vehicle?

Do you know what the M14 and the 1.25 bit on the specification refer to? Ive never been sure what this actually translates into on the actual bolt!

I was looking on Halfords.com to see which locking wheel bolts they suggest for the particular car, they recommend either the ones i have been sent, or an identical set but with slightly shorter shafts (28.5mm). Why do you think the shop i ordered the alloys from has sent different wheel bolts, as i have always just used the ones supplied by the car manufacturer; i did wonder whether the alloy is maybe slightly thicker and needs the longer bolt to ensure a safe fit?

Appologies for the questions, im not 100% clued up when it comes to aftermarket alloys and the fitment. Any help of knowledge on this subject would be greatly appreciated ... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

M14 is the diameter of the thread. 1.25 is the steepness of the thread. Both are correct for an M20.

The length varies with the wheel type. A thicker wheel will require longer bolts. You can insert the bolts into the wheels to see how much thread protrudes on the inside. It should be about similar to the thread diameter. If it is too long, it can bottom out and interfere with the brakes. If it is too short, there will not be enough thread depth to secure the wheel to the car.

Aftermarket wheels are typically thicker and softer than original wheels. Steel rims are the thinnest ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks. Would i be right in thinking that if once i attach the wheel to the hub, if i can spin the wheel whilst its off the ground and theres no grinding coming from inside the hub; that its safe to use?

If i measure the amount protruding on the inside of the BMW alloys with a BMW wheel bolts; and compare this to one of the BMW bolts in my aftermarket alloys. If they are the same, would i be safe to just use the BMW wheel bolts, or would you recommend that i use the new ones i have been supplied? I'd just feel better to use the BMW original equipment where possible!

Also, has anyone else had any experience with McGuard locking wheel bolts, what are your oppinions?
I had a bad experience with them when using them on my Vauxhall Corsa (Tuner bolt style) with aftermarket alloys. I think the garages were tightening them with the pneumatic wrench, but still; i had one fail and the keyed-end bit snap off whilst trying to remove them. I then had to have the bolt welded and drilled off the vehicle
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN View Post
Thanks. Would i be right in thinking that if once i attach the wheel to the hub, if i can spin the wheel whilst its off the ground and theres no grinding coming from inside the hub; that its safe to use?

If i measure the amount protruding on the inside of the BMW alloys with a BMW wheel bolts; and compare this to one of the BMW bolts in my aftermarket alloys. If they are the same, would i be safe to just use the BMW wheel bolts, or would you recommend that i use the new ones i have been supplied? I'd just feel better to use the BMW original equipment where possible!
Yes, you can do that. It doesn't have to be exactly the same, but it should at least be in the ballpark.

I noticed that the original wheel bolts are slightly short for my aftermarket wheels (both summer and winter), but they can still be used.
Appreciate 0