BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW iPhone 5 Snap-In Adapter is Coming... Next June

10-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Lightbulb BMW iPhone 5 Snap-In Adapter is Coming... Next June

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW iPhone 5 Snap-In Adapter is Coming... Next June
COMMENTS
Name:  bmwiphone5a.jpg
Views: 11960
Size:  204.3 KB

Apple recently released its iPhone 5 and with it came a change to its connector from the previous 30-pin to the new 8-pin 'Lightning' connector.

This change unfortunately means that the new iPhone will no longer work with BMW's current iPhone snap-in-adapters. So when can we expect the the new adapters for the iPhone 5 from BMW?

We've learned that BMW has already started work on the snap-in-adapters for the newest iPhone. The changes however, are said to be quite complex (due to the new connector) and development will therefore require some months to complete. The changes are not as easy as one may think. For example, the iPhone/iPod Out function requires the video D/A converter circuitry to be integrated into the actual snap-in adapter, which will naturally take some time to develop, test, and release.

The estimated delivery time frame is approximately 7 months and it's anticipated to be ready in June 2013.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Good news but longer than I would have expected.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

How much functionality do you get with an iPhone4/5 and the iDrive system if you only connect by bluetooth, what are the main differences to using this dock?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
Ozolz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 116i m-sport 2014

I have the media dock for Iphone 4 and it is seriously over priced for how little functionality it adds. I regret getting BMW Apps option and the dock totally.

The "functionality" you get with the dock is:

- BMW Connected App (if you have bmw apps option). This is a waste of money as it gets old after a few weeks and you will never use it again. Mostly because the "apps" are very limited and VERY un-user friendly. You don't want to spend 2-3 min every time you get in the car to get it going before you can drive off.

- Power charging (this you get with the normal USB connection anyway)

- Play songs you have on the iPhone, controlling them thru iDrive (you get this with the standard USB too)

(Let me know if I have missed some function please. )

In conclusion, this is the most pointless thing you can get for the 1-series. I wish I could sell my media dock for iPhone 4, but i doubt anyone wants to buy it....

So I hope the iphone 5 dock gets some useful user friendly features, if not then save your money and use the standard USB-plug.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolz View Post
I have the media dock for Iphone 4 and it is seriously over priced for how little functionality it adds. I regret getting BMW Apps option and the dock totally.

The "functionality" you get with the dock is:

- BMW Connected App (if you have bmw apps option). This is a waste of money as it gets old after a few weeks and you will never use it again. Mostly because the "apps" are very limited and VERY un-user friendly. You don't want to spend 2-3 min every time you get in the car to get it going before you can drive off.

- Power charging (this you get with the normal USB connection anyway)

- Play songs you have on the iPhone, controlling them thru iDrive (you get this with the standard USB too)

(Let me know if I have missed some function please. )

In conclusion, this is the most pointless thing you can get for the 1-series. I wish I could sell my media dock for iPhone 4, but i doubt anyone wants to buy it....

So I hope the iphone 5 dock gets some useful user friendly features, if not then save your money and use the standard USB-plug.
Thanks for that Ozolz. So is the dock something that you **can** purchase seperately, or does it have to be a factory option? Sounds like the usb is the way to go tho, what functionality do you get by just using bluetooth: Infact, does anyone know what the generic bluetooth functionality is with iDrive irrespective of phone? Have never had bluetooth handsfree before, so this will be new to me once my F20 arrives; also in the process of choosing a new phone so its nice to know the options!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
Ozolz
Private First Class
Rep

BenN

the dock wont work if you dont have the connectors for it. This is called SmartPhone music interface (in Sweden) and looks like this:
http://images.esellerpro.com/2493/I/...0155%20175.jpg

So if you dont have this under your arm rest you cant use the dock.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Guys,

Ive just upgraded to an iPhone5 and have it all paired with my car; I have literally no options on the car, so its just a stock m-sport. Ive got some questions about the standard bluetooth equipment level:
  1. Can you stream music from the iPhone over bluetooth, or was there an option that i needed inorder to enable that?
  2. Ive not got the iPhone BMW cable yet and was wondering whether you can play music from the iPhone once connected via this - if so do you get a change in interface, or is it treated/used in exactly the same way as a USB stick with music on it?
  3. Does anyone know what other features i can expect after connecting the phone via the cable; ie will it show my emails, calendar entries, facebook, twitter etc.. or again was there an option for this?
  4. Finally, on the steering wheel the voice activation button doesnt seem to do anything (again was there an option for this?) and the phone button only seems to allow me to enter and cycle through my recent calls list on the isntrument cluster rather than my contacts list (more what i expected) - i can obviously scroll the contacts on the iDrive tho?

Sorry for all of the questions, from what i can work out i only seem to have the ability to make a call on my phone utilising the bluetooth. If anyone knows the options i am missing and whether they can be retrofitted, i would be greatly appreciative

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN View Post
Hi Guys,

Ive just upgraded to an iPhone5 and have it all paired with my car; I have literally no options on the car, so its just a stock m-sport. Ive got some questions about the standard bluetooth equipment level:
  1. Can you stream music from the iPhone over bluetooth, or was there an option that i needed inorder to enable that?
  2. Ive not got the iPhone BMW cable yet and was wondering whether you can play music from the iPhone once connected via this - if so do you get a change in interface, or is it treated/used in exactly the same way as a USB stick with music on it?
  3. Does anyone know what other features i can expect after connecting the phone via the cable; ie will it show my emails, calendar entries, facebook, twitter etc.. or again was there an option for this?
  4. Finally, on the steering wheel the voice activation button doesnt seem to do anything (again was there an option for this?) and the phone button only seems to allow me to enter and cycle through my recent calls list on the isntrument cluster rather than my contacts list (more what i expected) - i can obviously scroll the contacts on the iDrive tho?

Sorry for all of the questions, from what i can work out i only seem to have the ability to make a call on my phone utilising the bluetooth. If anyone knows the options i am missing and whether they can be retrofitted, i would be greatly appreciative

Thanks
1.-Yes, only if you have ENHANCED BLUETOOTH, otherwise you can only use bluetooth for phone calls.
2.-The Y cable itself alone no longer works with the iPhone 5, you need the 30 pin to lightning adapter from Apple + Y cable. This way, you can see songs names, artist, album, playlists and control via iDrive. (no album covers if you don't have media combo kit or something like that).
3.-Mails, messages, facebook status, etc only with the media combo kit
4.- Again, it doesn't work if you don't have enhanced bluetooth.

I love my F20, it's my first BMW, but BMW charges extra fees for everything...I want to buy a BMW!!! ok, starting at $30,000...if you want wheels, 1,500 extra...if you what steering wheel, 500 extra...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep

If the adapter is here in june...the iPhone 6 or iPhone 5S will be here too...I hope no new model changes :S
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks LatinBimmer,

that clears up alot and is kinda as expected, ah well i guess im one with the rest of you with that useless button on the steering wheel

i guess that if i purchase the y cable and the lightning adapter that should get me what i want. Shame it wont have the album covers etc... Does anyone know if these 'minor' options can be retrofitted by a dealer, with mebe a firmware flash: surely there cant be any hardware requirements?!

I also agree with your comment about the extra costs to get anything, as my partner says; your literally getting 4 wheels, an engine and a steering wheel for your money - although a very very good driving experience, so i guess something has to be forfitted for the cost. I'd be quite keen to get some retrofits mind, didnt have any choice from factory so i had to go with a stock car.

Where have you guys purchased your y-cables from and how much did you pay? Its a shame the usb lead doesnt just work tho.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep

Retrofit that option maybe is around 2,000 USD ... I also thought it was just a software restriction...but it's hardware related. I bought the Y cable from this seller http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-iPod-i...item2c6286220e
it worked perfect with my iPhone 4 (be careful where you buy this cable because it has a chip inside, if don't, it doesn't work). If you want to buy from a dealer, it maybe cost 90 USD.

I am waiting for my adapter next week.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I wish BMW and other car manufacturers would stop supporting the odd Apple connectors, so maybe Apple would be sensible enough to use normal connectors like ALL other mobile phones on the market.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I wish BMW and other car manufacturers would stop supporting the odd Apple connectors, so maybe Apple would be sensible enough to use normal connectors like ALL other mobile phones on the market.
My friend, apple connectors are always to USB end. What I think is Car manufacturers must work together and avoid the adapters restrictions talking about chips like the Y cable in BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #14
Gras
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 116i, Urban, Auto

i will stick to iphone4. I have the nav prof with apps and the media snap in adapter. That gives me the option to have the Plugin functionality and i can also play videos. With the new iphone5 since there is not a video output anymore there will be no plugin functionality or video playback... so moving to iphone5 on BMW is just a downgrade..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
steve1975l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 116d ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gras View Post
i will stick to iphone4. I have the nav prof with apps and the media snap in adapter. That gives me the option to have the Plugin functionality and i can also play videos. With the new iphone5 since there is not a video output anymore there will be no plugin functionality or video playback... so moving to iphone5 on BMW is just a downgrade..
Can you play video's from iphone 4 with just the y cable and professional multimedia?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #16
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1975l View Post
Can you play video's from iphone 4 with just the y cable and professional multimedia?
No. It looks like Apple removed video output functionality and offers Airplay instead.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #17
Ozolz
Private First Class
Rep

This is really bad. Like BMW didnīt know an iPhone 5 would come, when Apple is their close partner...

Also if they are going to spend 6 months on creating the snap-in adapter for iPhone 5 it better have some new features. Not just the same crap as iphone 4 adapter had, charging, video, mp3 and album art.

If the new adapter donīt get new features it is a joke they need 6 months to produce it, not like they have to invent everything from scratch
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #18
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolz View Post
This is really bad. Like BMW didnīt know an iPhone 5 would come, when Apple is their close partner...

Also if they are going to spend 6 months on creating the snap-in adapter for iPhone 5 it better have some new features. Not just the same crap as iphone 4 adapter had, charging, video, mp3 and album art.

If the new adapter donīt get new features it is a joke they need 6 months to produce it, not like they have to invent everything from scratch
June 2013 is about 8 months actually. And June/July is usually when Apple announces a new iPhone So, maybe the iPhone 5S or something, comes with video output and the just released BMW Y cable will be here!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #19
steve1975l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 116d ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinBimmer View Post
No. It looks like Apple removed video output functionality and offers Airplay instead.
Are we talking iphone 4? I know it's a thread about the 5.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #20
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1975l View Post
Are we talking iphone 4? I know it's a thread about the 5.
I am talking about iPhone 5 too, I didn't notice the post title was about iPhone 4 lol
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #21
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinBimmer View Post
Retrofit that option maybe is around 2,000 USD ... I also thought it was just a software restriction...but it's hardware related. I bought the Y cable from this seller http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-iPod-i...item2c6286220e
it worked perfect with my iPhone 4 (be careful where you buy this cable because it has a chip inside, if don't, it doesn't work). If you want to buy from a dealer, it maybe cost 90 USD.

I am waiting for my adapter next week.
Hi LatinBimmer,

I have just received my cable from the the ebay seller that you recommended. I have tried it in my car via the official apple Lightning to 30pin adapter cable (same as the stubby connector but with some cable between both ends) and it doesnt seem to be recognised by the car. my phone switches repeatedly between charging and not charging and i cannot access any of the music on my iDrive. I then tried my friends iPhone 4s using just the supplied cable and it worked perfectly. Has anyone else managed to get a 'copy' lead to work with a lightning converter? Or is everyone using official BMW leads? Would be really interested to know what works for people, as im fearing that i will have to handover all of my money to BMW for one of their official leads now maybe the chip in the official lead copes with the digital/analogue conversion that is needed to work with an iPhone 5.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #22
Batmobile1
Rep
Drives: None

Is iphone dock removable?

Does anyone know if you can just pull out that whole iphone dock and reclaim armrest space??
If so can you just use the usb cord for connection and still make blue tooth calls? I am looking at a used 2011 M3 that has integrated phone and would like to just have the armrest space.
Appreciate 0