BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Standard lighting / bulb upgrade, Mtec Superwhites, no LED's

04-01-2013, 03:09 AM   #23
hufc2002
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318d M Sport

Replaced my DRLS and Sidelights at the weekend with MTEC superwhites.

I now need to decide what to replace the dipped beam with. How crisp are the Philips Blue Vision? Are these nice and white or would I be better opting for some more MTEC superwhites?

How do I get rid of the orange on the indicator? Do I need diadem bulbs?

Cheers

Estoril Blue 118d M Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #24
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hufc2002 View Post
Replaced my DRLS and Sidelights at the weekend with MTEC superwhites.

I now need to decide what to replace the dipped beam with. How crisp are the Philips Blue Vision? Are these nice and white or would I be better opting for some more MTEC superwhites?

How do I get rid of the orange on the indicator? Do I need diadem bulbs?

Cheers
There's hardly any difference between the MTEC Superwhites and Philips Blue Vision, used them both in my VW. I'd go with the MTEC's.

To get rid of the orange you can fit the standard diadem that will give a slight blue colour in the reflector housing and match the MTEC DRL's. The photo's at the start of the thread are Osram Diadem indicator bulbs. Or go for the Chrome look bulbs that give a silver reflection.

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #25
krugerjq
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X3 2d M Sport, F800GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee View Post
Ok Mikeysix already has a light upgrade thread running with a mixture of upgraded bulbs and LED's but with some canbus errors and a few wrong bulbs delivered.

Members have been asking for links and photo's so rather than hijacking mikeysix's thread I thought I'd do a thread with just the Mtec Superwhite upgrades and a couple from Osram.

So first a purchase list then photo's.

Lee
How do you find your lighting at night? Is the same or better with the upgraded bulbs.

I changed my wifes car's bulbs also. Osram Nightbreaker + but don't realy see much difference. You can see that the light looks whiter than before, that is if you stand in front of the car.

The Mtec DRL looks very nice. Still waiting for the sidelights.

Last edited by krugerjq; 04-25-2013 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #26
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Whiter light is not always better. It is good for seeing colors correctly and for lightling up reflex material, but no good in wet weather. In fog or snow, more yellowish light penetrates better, and offers better contrast.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #27
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugerjq View Post
How do you find your lighting at night? Is the same or better with the upgraded bulbs.

I changed my wifes car's bulbs also. Osram Nightbreaker + but don't realy see much difference. You can see that the light looks whiter than before, that is if you stand in front of the car.

The Mtec DRL looks very nice. Still waiting for the sidelights.

I do alot of driving down unlit country roads here in the UK, and i found the Osram Nightbreaker + Gold Edition (abit brighter than the standard + so they say) work wonders. I really struggled to pick out the road at times pre-upgrade, but with the upgrade everything is alot clearer. I didn't get as much throw as i'd have hoped for, yet it was an improvement. As Ovekvam says, the whiter light does pick out the reflections strips alot better, so signs and road markings are alot more vivid, the road is abit brighter but you would get better results with a yellower light (wouldnt look as cool tho imo) - the upgraded bulbs changes the car's appearance too, looks alot sportier IMO.

I think BMW are aware as to how poor the OEM bulbs are, as they are quick to sell you one of their performance bulb kits for almost double/triple the price, but these wont be any different to those mentioned in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #28
krugerjq
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X3 2d M Sport, F800GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN View Post
I do alot of driving down unlit country roads here in the UK, and i found the Osram Nightbreaker + Gold Edition (abit brighter than the standard + so they say) work wonders. I really struggled to pick out the road at times pre-upgrade, but with the upgrade everything is alot clearer. I didn't get as much throw as i'd have hoped for, yet it was an improvement. As Ovekvam says, the whiter light does pick out the reflections strips alot better, so signs and road markings are alot more vivid, the road is abit brighter but you would get better results with a yellower light (wouldnt look as cool tho imo) - the upgraded bulbs changes the car's appearance too, looks alot sportier IMO.

I think BMW are aware as to how poor the OEM bulbs are, as they are quick to sell you one of their performance bulb kits for almost double/triple the price, but these wont be any different to those mentioned in this thread.
I almost bought a set of the performance bulbs for my 5 series F10 with halogen lights. But at the end decided against it and went with the Osram nightbreakers instead. Much cheaper. BMW should make xenon lights standard on all their cars....
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 03:52 AM   #29
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I almost bought a set of the performance bulbs for my 5 series F10 with halogen lights. But at the end decided against it and went with the Osram nightbreakers instead. Much cheaper. BMW should make xenon lights standard on all their cars....
+1 totally agree about the xenon's
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #30
boutan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 125i M-Sport Estoril Blue

I did the M-Tech upgrade to superwhites on all my front globes on my EB 125i... the result is MAGIC. Beautiful white light. Looks very sexy. Thanks so much for the thread and everyone who posted product numbers etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #31
J1220
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe 09

Ordered side lights and DRL's as per instructions on opening tread and will go for the Osram nightbreakers option for main and dipped.

Good post this!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 04:06 AM   #32
BMWF20MJC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Sport Red.

Regarding upgrading the bulbs are you able to change the day running lights so superwhites too?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 03:47 AM   #33
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF20MJC
Regarding upgrading the bulbs are you able to change the day running lights so superwhites too?
Yeah, they are the mtecs and the link should be in the first post. I couldn't find another aftermarket manufacturer other than mtec that sold the bulb type. Very happy with the DRL mtecs tho, a nice white crisp light!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #34
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF20MJC View Post
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-38...t20-7440-pair/

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #35
Evostance
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee View Post
Ok Mikeysix already has a light upgrade thread running with a mixture of upgraded bulbs and LED's but with some canbus errors and a few wrong bulbs delivered.

Members have been asking for links and photo's so rather than hijacking mikeysix's thread I thought I'd do a thread with just the Mtec Superwhite upgrades and a couple from Osram.

So first a purchase list then photo's.

H7 Dip Beam... (Make sure you order H7 not H1)
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-12...upgrade-bulbs/

W21W DRL
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-38...t20-7440-pair/

H6W Sidelights
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-h6...bs-sidelights/

These give a crisp white light. The H7's are an upgrade but not as good as the 100% better lights from Osram and Philips but they are good enough and look a lot better.

For main beam I've gone for Osram Nightbreaker+. Again these are H7 and best bet is ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-H7-N...item4cf203795e

To get rid of the orange reflection in the indicator and as the Supewhites give a slight blue reflection in the main lights I've ordered some Osram Diadem indicator bulbs.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PY21W-OSRA...item3cb9a7d9db

Lee

Cheers for the heads up. Was wondering what "white" options were available. Fingers crossed they're here soon so can get them fitted!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #36
pangster
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

not a fan of the stock lights at all.. xenons are probably the single biggest exterior mod that makes a visual difference to the car.. although this bulb upgrade does make the best of a bad situation...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 04:47 AM   #37
Evostance
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangster View Post
not a fan of the stock lights at all.. xenons are probably the single biggest exterior mod that makes a visual difference to the car.. although this bulb upgrade does make the best of a bad situation...
Agreed, I think these bulbs look pretty good, however I would definitely not rate HIDS Direct.

I ordered my stuff on Monday with 1st class delivery, it's still not here..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #38
BMWF20MJC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Sport Red.

SUPERWHITE

Upgraded the other day to MTEC SUPER WHITE all round. These are amazing!!!! Can't fault them. Total of £45 all front bulbs including fogs are brilliant. Recommend these to anyone!!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #39
Garrafa
Rep
Drives: F20 118i

Garage List
2013 BMW 118i  [0.00]
M-Tec super white main beam and standard side lights. Waiting the rest of bulbs arrives here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #40
hufc2002
Private First Class
England
Rep

one of my MTEC side lights has blew already. Don't fancy spending another £8 for one to blow again in 9 months time.

Can anyone recommend any other bulbs that offer a super white light?

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #41
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hufc2002
one of my MTEC side lights has blew already. Don't fancy spending another £8 for one to blow again in 9 months time.

Can anyone recommend any other bulbs that offer a super white light?
I had terrible luck with the sidelight bulbs, first set I received one bulb was damaged and the other blew as soon as I put it in. I was set a replacement set, and after a few months one of the bulbs blew from this set. I've just put the original BMW bulbs back in, TBH it looks ok with the other white bulbs IMO. The best bulbs for me were the DRL, look fantastic!!

If you find a decent white replacement, please let me know as I will give them a try!!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #42
hufc2002
Private First Class
England
Rep

I have found my originals so will just put them back in for the time being until I decide what to replace my dipped beam with and then perhaps replace them then.

I agree, the MTEC DRLs do look good.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #43
mose999
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 116i F20

Replace H7 bulbs

Help please. I am struggling to replace the low-beam headlights, H7.
Does anyone have pictures on how to change these light bulbs?

The user manual makes no sense whatsoever.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #44
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
BMW should make xenon lights standard on all their cars....
Totally agree

I see other BMWs with the standard headlamps and it's like "really?"

Very much like the OP's white light bulb replacements. This is the way to go