BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Adaptive Suspension review

12-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 125d

Garage List
Hey peeps. Thought I'd let ya'll know how gettin on with the adaptive.
When I got the car it was very, very soft, like a boat as they say. I kinda thought oh dear!
1000 miles on the clock now and everything is coming alive!
In comfort mode the suspension is as far as I'm concerned, perfect! Super comfy but no longer 'boating' in sport mode it's well nice, firm but far from trashy. it really gives you that m-sport feel you could drive around in sport all the time again, perfect! In comfort mode I am able to notice the suspension working as bad bits of road where you think the car will bottom out it doesn't, it catches the rebound perfectly. Impressive!

In a nutshell, its really good, money well spent if you like your gadgets was worrying when new but epic with some miles on the clock.

Really happy...
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I have a question. If you don't mind.

Do you know if the ride height of the adaptive suspension is lower than the regular M sports suspension? Because it says reduce ride height by 10mm, but is that from regular suspension or from M sport? M sport suspension reduces ride height by 15mm from regular suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M Sport (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY
I have a question. If you don't mind.

Do you know if the ride height of the adaptive suspension is lower than the regular M sports suspension? Because it says reduce ride height by 10mm, but is that from regular suspension or from M sport? M sport suspension reduces ride height by 15mm from regular suspension.
10mm is from normal suspension. So it is in between normal suspension and normal regular sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Diesel130
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 120d Sport Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawia View Post
Hey peeps. Thought I'd let ya'll know how gettin on with the adaptive.
When I got the car it was very, very soft, like a boat as they say. I kinda thought oh dear!
1000 miles on the clock now and everything is coming alive!...

Really happy...
Thanks
Oh! I didn't realise that adaptive suspension has to mature like wine and cheese.

I hope it still feels good after 5,000 miles and hasn't 'gone off'.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
washout04
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

I'm still confused as to whether this option is worth it or not.

I've heard the m-sport suspension is more supple than a golf GTI suspension. anyone know if this is accurate?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I have non adaptive M-Sport suspension, and I think it is very comfortable. You would think it was too soft for track use, but it works surprisingly well. I must say BMW has found a very successful blend of performance and comfort.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
grehur
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d

If you want to upgrade your adaptive suspension, KW has a coilover kit that works with the adaptive suspension... waiting for reviews on it, haven't seen anything about it. Anyone knows something?

G
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #8
WeekendDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i Cayman gts

Hi guys, I know it was posted somewhere, but could not find it. How do you choose adaptive suspension individually, i.e. comfy suspension while throttle response on sport or sport plus?

Appreciate your help!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #9
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendDriver View Post
Hi guys, I know it was posted somewhere, but could not find it. How do you choose adaptive suspension individually, i.e. comfy suspension while throttle response on sport or sport plus?

Appreciate your help!
I don't think that is possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #10
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

In the Idrive menu, you can configure some options/settings for throttle response or suspension and the sport/sport+ dial mode.
I remember this from my test drive, but I didn't play with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #11
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendDriver

Appreciate your help!
In settings you can choose 3 settings.
Chassis and drive train:
firms suspension, holds gears longer (8speed auto) changes throttle response, weights steering
Drivetrain: changes throttle response, holds gears (auto) weights steering
Chassis: firms suspension, weights steering.

These options are available in settings, drive mode, set up sport mode. Pick one of the three provided you have adaptive suspension etc
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #12
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Seems I was wrong, then! :-)

I wish we could select sporty throttle response in DSC Off mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
WeekendDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i Cayman gts

Thanks for your help guys. So in other word, the adaptive suspension only has 2 levels of settings. And in sport mode, if I choose "drivetrain" only, the damper will be in soft setting. While in comfort mode, it is default to be in soft setting, and cannot be changed to firm.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #14
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendDriver
Thanks for your help guys. So in other word, the adaptive suspension only has 2 levels of settings. And in sport mode, if I choose "drivetrain" only, the damper will be in soft setting. While in comfort mode, it is default to be in soft setting, and cannot be changed to firm.
That is correct
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 04:33 AM   #15
donaldt
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i

I have the normal M suspension
I think it is comfortable but it corners very well at the same time
the only thing is that it seems to body roll a bit too much
it feels wrong but it corners just fine
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #16
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Alpina D5S

For those interested i've got today the confirmation at my dealer that the adaptative M suspension is 25 mm lowered from the standart one, and the M sport suspension present in the M sport package is 15 mm lowered from the standart one.

Last edited by PunkSinatra; 03-15-2013 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #17
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkSinatra
For those interested i've got today the confirmation at my dealer that the adaptative M suspension is 25 mm lowered from the standart one, and the M sport suspension present in the M sport package is 10 mm lowered from the standart one.
Then your dealer says bullshits. The values are the following compared to normal suspension:
M adaptive: -10mm
M: -15mm
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #18
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavVD View Post
Then your dealer says bullshits. The values are the following compared to normal suspension:

And who told you that?
I can tell you that i saw the paper from the BMW mechanics and was explicit there that the M adaptive suspension is 25 mm lowered than the normal suspension. And i can tell you more, as he showed me two cars side by side and the one with M adaptive was clearly lower than the normal M sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #19
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkSinatra
Quote:

And who told you that?
I can tell you that i saw the paper from the BMW mechanics and was explicit there that the M adaptive suspension is 25 mm lowered than the normal suspension. And i can tell you more, as he showed me two cars side by side and the one with M adaptive was clearly lower than the normal M sport.
Well that is strange because I am driving a 125i m sport with m adaptive suspension every day and it is absolutely not lower than the m sport I parked next to last week...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #20
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well that is strange because I am driving a 125i m sport with m adaptive suspension every day and it is absolutely not lower than the m sport I parked next to last week...
I also drive a F20, but a 125d with M sport package, but now i will change it for a F21 M135i, and i've already told my dealer the last two times that i went there, i want the lowest suspension possible. He told me that we could compare my car and one that they have there with adaptive M, and as i told in the last post its clearly lower. As he mesured was about 7mm lower, what i thinks it represents the announced 10mm lower than M sport.
Appreciate 0