BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Is your BMW your only money pit?

04-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #23
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douche View Post
I don't think the rules would allow for one to post videos of themselves shooting somebody down.

Allowing the redistribution of public domain footage is different than allowing for the hosting of new pictures/videos that foster something that relates to violence and/or crime.

The only ones crying are the ones being held back by this rule, from what I can see. Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revartr View Post
To be fair, I don't see why it's even a rule in the first place. It seems kind of ridiculous, and this is coming from someone who doesn't even buy a lot of guns, let alone post pictures of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodengun View Post
There are plenty of gun pictures in the "public domain"

Anyways - back to money pits.

---------

Hope that beach house goes well. I have a place up in the mountains - the family ski getaway. Needs a new roof....$12k gone.
Back story for the new guys.

For years we had several threads in the general OT that were firearm related. i.e., "Official Hand gun thread" "Official Black rifle thread" "Official home defense thread" etc....

After gaining enough traction on the subject the forum administrators decided to open a dedicated Weapons sub-forum. (like watches, fitness, etc... ) When this happened, the new threads in the weapons sub-forum mistakenly showed up in the "new posts" list. Which they shouldn't have. 1 member threw a fit and picked up the support of 1 other member who was vocal about opposing the new sub-forum.

After a knock down drag out internet debate between those who were participating in the new sub-forum and the two who were opposed to it, and i'm sure many, many reported posts. The forum administrators / owners saw that it was in the forum's best interest to delete the new weapons sub-forum along with all the previous threads while also make an unwritten rule that no photos of weapons were allowed to be posted in the forum.

That's the long and short of it.

Oh yeah, one more tid-bit of info, the member who was vehemently against the weapons sub-forum is no longer a member here.
Thanks for the history lesson. I can definitely see that happening. It's very controversial.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #24
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Thanks for the history lesson. I can definitely see that happening. It's very controversial.
It can be. The sour part for those who participated in the gun threads is that the person who made it such a controversy has been permanently banned from the forum.

Requests were made from those participants to remove the weapons threads from the "new thread" list, but the vocal minority in this situation made so much noise about it the admins just decided to remove any potential controversy. And now the vocal minority has been permanently banned while all the other "gun guys" remain as rule abiding forum contributors.
      04-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #25
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSugarSkulls View Post
Only because this is for my personal use/will be a place to get away from work (no intention of selling) will I NOT consider this an investment but a money pit.

Just bought this piece of land, beach front/direct access to the beach- in Playas. Permits are in the works, with construction beginning shortly after.

Let's hope my dream beach home is completed by this time next year
I hope you're going to start a build thread for the beach house!
      04-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #26
Douche
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Only because this is for my personal use/will be a place to get away from work (no intention of selling) will I NOT consider this an investment but a money pit.

Just bought this piece of land, beach front/direct access to the beach- in Playas. Permits are in the works, with construction beginning shortly after.

With M rain gutters and LCI fencing
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 12:02 PM   #27
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With M rain gutters and LCI fencing
      04-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #28
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

I was\am a long time member over at Audizine and their mantra (they've had knock down drags outs over the gun threads, too) is the vocal minority can STFU. You don't like guns, ignore the threads that pertain to them. Thank you to those members that provided the back story here, it was nice to finally understand the gun thread ban here after a year, regardless of my feelings toward it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #29
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
It can be. The sour part for those who participated in the gun threads is that the person who made it such a controversy has been permanently banned from the forum.

Requests were made from those participants to remove the weapons threads from the "new thread" list, but the vocal minority in this situation made so much noise about it the admins just decided to remove any potential controversy. And now the vocal minority has been permanently banned while all the other "gun guys" remain as rule abiding forum contributors.
Yes, though some of us have moved on to other forums and occasionally come back to see what, if anything, has changed.

Thank you for giving the back story to others.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 02:05 PM   #30
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

We don't really have any "money pits" by definition, but i think the one thing we spend most on with no tangible result is travel. But thats when all the money spent on camera gear comes in handy.
      04-20-2015, 02:11 PM   #31
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

It's yawning maw is open and ready to devour funds
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #32
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Used to be paintball and scuba diving for me...

Diving has calmed down since unfortunately I don't have much time for it anymore. It will no doubt pick up again.

Paintball became better as I started playing for teams that had sponsorship's but then other things became priority and that ended.

Currently starting a business so that has taken the cake on being the biggest money pit. It will turn around soon though.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #33
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Watches and boats for me.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #34
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Money Pit

Yup, same here.
One of my money pit is things I cannot discuss here.

ETA: Just my preference, I cannot stand FNH FDE uneven coloration. Therefore I have those 2 in black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
You're new here so you may get a warning for posting a picture of what you did. But you also may get a vacation from the forum.

I'm with you though. The majority of my disposable income goes towards shooting sports. Love my SCAR16 in FDE among others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodengun View Post
? I'm no criminal. All my firearms and ammunition are legal. Heck, none of them even need a NFA stamp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
doesn't matter around here

btw, got a scar 17, I like your collection too
      04-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #35
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
It's yawning maw is open and ready to devour funds
A friend of mine is restoring one too. Engine is out in this pic so it will squat a bit more once it's back in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #36
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely will! My architect has an INSANE idea- however, with the cliche pool in the backyard at the edge of the property overlooking the ocean & underground garage.

Perfect for my batmobile...er...frozen black m6
      04-20-2015, 08:50 PM   #37
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
A friend of mine is restoring one too. Engine is out in this pic so it will squat a bit more once it's back in.
Love this pic! Please share if you got more

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #38
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
Yup, same here.
One of my money pit is things I cannot discuss here.

ETA: Just my preference, I cannot stand FNH FDE uneven coloration. Therefore I have those 2 in black.
I too prefer black.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 09:49 PM   #39
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Mines hookers, can't show pics of those tho
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #40
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

My daughter is money pit #1, my horse Jacqueline is #2, my horse Blackie #3, my horse Frankie #4.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #41
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yugo

Lol kids are not a money pit. Their "value" grows and grows with everything you put into them.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #42
Douche
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodengun
Lol kids are not a money pit. Their "value" grows and grows with everything you put into them.
Are you gonna sell them later?
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2015, 09:36 AM   #43
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yugo

Hmmmm....

Not all value is monetary. Not all value is the same for every person.

Examples - someone putting in $30k to mod their M4 - they may not look at it as a money pit because they get a unique individual car.

I look at my kids and see a lot of value - none of it monetary. I like to think they are becoming good young men. Someone not into kids may well look at kids as deadweight anchors.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #44
Douche
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodengun
Hmmmm....

Not all value is monetary. Not all value is the same for every person.

Examples - someone putting in $30k to mod their M4 - they may not look at it as a money pit because they get a unique individual car.

I look at my kids and see a lot of value - none of it monetary. I like to think they are becoming good young men. Someone not into kids may well look at kids as deadweight anchors.
Then I'm sorry, but you don't understand the term "money pit" in this thread's concept.

You may value wearing new perfumes everyday, if you buy one everyday "perfumes" is your money pit.

Unless you buy and sell perfumes, than that becomes your business.

Kids are the largest, widest, deepest, grandest money pits there are. Don't tell me by spoiling one you are adding value to them.
Appreciate 2