BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > My lowly M135i

05-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i & Cayenne V6

My lowly M135i

Its so funny how under appreciated and looked down upon this car is.

Though it bested my 2010 Boxster S on Top Gear for "Sport Car of the Year", was driven around the Nurbergring by an amateur driver in 8:05 (the same time as an E90 M3 with a professional driver) and is rated as one of the top 2 hatchbacks currently available by many top automotive journalists and magazines, besting or taking second place to my previous car, the wonderful Renault Megane RS Trophy, I have been made fun of for even talking about it on several of the BMW forums (including the M3 and M4 section of this forum), with several people deriding it as nothing more than a 1 series with a nice paint job and stripes...

When did M-owners become so conceited, condescending and dismissive of their own brand? I used to run an E36 M3 and after that an E46 Alpina B3S. Both were great cars and I was very active in BMWCCA, a great organization where owners treated other owners with respect, enjoying the shared passion for automotive excellence and "the ultimate driving experience" no matter which BMW (or car from another maker) they drove.

Though I loved my Megane Trophy, my current situation required that I get a reasonably priced automatic that got better gas mileage. The M135i ticked off every box and then some! The ZF 8 speed automatic shifts faster and more smoothly that any dual or single clutch sports car I ever owned (including my Boxster S with PDK, my Golf Gti with DSG, and my wonderful Alfa 147 GTA with Selespeed), it is faster in a straight line than any of these cars (consistently clocked at 4.5~4.6 seconds for 0-100kph, a few tenths better than BMW's conservative estimate of 4.9), makes a glorious straight 6 wail that is even better than my M3 or Alpina B3S (especially with the M Performance exhaust I fitted), has great 4 pot brakes, an adaptive sports suspension that, while first impressions may seem a bit soft, is actually incredibly communicative and responsive when driving all out on twisty mountain roads, is lighter than any M-car since the original E30 M3 and thus incredibly agile, and returns better gas mileage than any sports car I've ever owned.

This is my 7th BMW in about 20 years and at least in my uninformed, unsupported opinion (NOT!), by far one of the most interesting car they have produced, an amazing value for far less than M-car money. Yes, Ms are great, but they are also usually very heavy, very expensive, and in recent years, often laden with so much technology that the driving experience gets diluted. I am happy that the upcoming M3 and M4 are, for the first time, lighter than the cars they replace, but does that make the M135i a horrible car and waste of money?

I just don't get it....
Attached Images

Last edited by MeganeTrophyGuy; 05-04-2014 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: fixed typo
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
bennzwel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 Edition 30

M135i is a great beast . I was driving one when my dealer was preparing my car for couple of days and it was such a great machine . Powerful and fast
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Glad you are enjoying it

I'm still extremely happy with mine and concur very much with your comments about driving hard on demanding roads.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
scheneider
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M //AMG

One of the greats for sure. Dont mind others, i notice that most bad comments come from Americans who never seen one in real life nor drive one
      05-05-2014, 02:08 AM   #5
petay135
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

Relax, its the performance bargain of the decade!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 02:27 AM   #6
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

The single digit 'M' owners are just a little miffed, is all. Given they've paid tens of thousands more for their cars than we have, I guess they have some reason, so I simply avoid provoking them.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 06:51 AM   #7
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by petay135 View Post
Relax, its the performance bargain of the decade!
I know, that, you know that, most of the automotive journalists in the world know and agree on that too, sadly though, the only people who seem unwilling to accept this as a real sports car are our own family members!

But in the end, the only thing that matters is the smile on our faces that the M135i manages to bring almost every single day by surprising us, exhilarating us and exceeding even our highest expectations...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 07:05 AM   #8
stifla
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M135i

MeganeTrophyGuy the m135i is an awesome car. We love it and cant really fault it. The problem I see with all hatches is they call them hot but in many peoples eyes theyre just a hatch. I think the f20 is a better looking hatch than its predecessor which looked odd in my eyes. I also think bmw should have added a few more cosmetic differences to the car. I think a roof spoiler should have been a must and I cant understand why they didnt include it. The side mirrors should have been different too and the front a little more aggressive and maybe make a few more changes to the interior. But I guess if they did that people wouldnt buy aftermarket parts. Many negative comments I read were US based or previous owners who have a knack of doing this with new products replacing theirs. I see this in everything these days not just cars. Just enjoy your car. We have had ours for a year and since then I am seeing more and more on the road
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #9
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Hi MTG,
Totally agree with you, on all the dynamic points of the M135i. It is truly a wonderful car. Only this morning, my wife said to me, this really is a comfortable car, as we woffted along in comfort mode. 10 mins later she is asking me, rather politely to, please slow down, NOW !, as she is gripping onto the door handle for dear life. I did point out to her, "we are still running in dear", and to, "wait until i can really give it the beans". Popped into the dealers this morning, and was telling them all the same things being written here, and he was just smiling at me, almost knowingly giving me the nod, that that they also agree entirely. I even mentioned my F10 M5, that this car replaces for me, and did say that the M5 was obviously much quicker, but the M135i seems far more fun, and agile etc, and i dont feel in any way short changed. Like i recently said, "SHUSH", the M135i is our secret, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135

The reason is simple and I am sure you know it. In most people's eyes, except may be their owners, the car is ugly, or at least looks awkward, or ungainly. The interior is also boring and dated, not much improved from the previous generation. In fact my comment on the interior can be applied on all BMW's. It is nothing to do with its performance.
I am replacing my 135i coupe and I have test driven a merc a45, audi s3, and even a golf r, but not a m135i for the reason I mentioned. Don't shoot me, just my opinion. Always a BMW fan but I am switching camp.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Hi MTG,
Totally agree with you, on all the dynamic points of the M135i. It is truly a wonderful car. Only this morning, my wife said to me, this really is a comfortable car, as we woffted along in comfort mode. 10 mins later she is asking me, rather politely to, please slow down, NOW !, as she is gripping onto the door handle for dear life. I did point out to her, "we are still running in dear", and to, "wait until i can really give it the beans". Popped into the dealers this morning, and was telling them all the same things being written here, and he was just smiling at me, almost knowingly giving me the nod, that that they also agree entirely. I even mentioned my F10 M5, that this car replaces for me, and did say that the M5 was obviously much quicker, but the M135i seems far more fun, and agile etc, and i dont feel in any way short changed. Like i recently said, "SHUSH", the M135i is our secret, regards, SIMON.
Yes, one of the things that is really interesting about this car is that by not trying to be a 100% hard core sports car and letting go of just that last 5%, it allowed them to make a car that is incredibly comfortable and smooth to drive in comfort mode, incredibly economical in the Eco-Pro mode, while still offering one of the fastest and sharpest throttle responses of any sports car I've ever driven. Pop it into Sport or Sport+ mode and its almost like there is an invisible transformer thing going on that instantly brings out the Mr Hyde-side of its personality. Emanating from a "lowly" 1 series, the sound this thing makes is almost sinister (especially with the M Performance muffler, which, while more subdued than other aftermarket mufflers, gives you about an extra 10% growl but in all the right places!). Truly a wolf in sheep's clothing!...

I would be interested to hear what made you decide to trade in the F10 for the M135i as well as any additional comparison insights you have. I was truly taken by the E60 with that GLORIOUS V10 and came very close to getting one about 6-7 years ago but my wife had always wanted an Alpina and convinced me to get an E46 B3S (big mistake!).
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #12
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw135fan View Post
The reason is simple and I am sure you know it. In most people's eyes, except may be their owners, the car is ugly, or at least looks awkward, or ungainly. The interior is also boring and dated, not much improved from the previous generation. In fact my comment on the interior can be applied on all BMW's. It is nothing to do with its performance.
I am replacing my 135i coupe and I have test driven a merc a45, audi s3, and even a golf r, but not a m135i for the reason I mentioned. Don't shoot me, just my opinion. Always a BMW fan but I am switching camp.
Not at all - though I have had more BMWs than any other car, I shop around and go for whatever is the best car in my price range. Of the ones you mention, I would go for the A45 AMG, a truly unique, over the top performance hatch and very unusual offering from Benz. Might have gone for it myself except for the insanely high prices here in Japan (about 40% more than an M135). I also test drove the S3 and Golf R. I loved the sound and responsiveness of the new Golf R which is simply miles ahead of the previous generation R (which was actually less fun than its little brother Gti that I eventually bought instead), but I found the looks a little too mundane, too much like a regular Golf (and in Japan they only offer very boring looking 18" wheels). Of the choices you mention, I think the S3 is the one I least liked - I took it on a long test drive and though very fast, the thing really just doesn't like to be pushed hard, and is just too jittery and uncommunicative in the turns. If you don't mind a manual, the car that blows all of these in the weeds in terms of tactileness and having one of the best sports suspension setups I've every driven is the Megane 265 Trophy (the car I sold for my M135i). If you are still debating there are quite a few good youtube video reviews comparing several of these cars, many by my favorite journalist, Chris Harris.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #13
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

In the face of A45 AMG, I would still go with M135i. Simply because it's RWD, and I get to do my RWD shenanigans. I have driven A45 very brieftly, it's a very nice car, stiffer suspension, but I'd buy another M135i~

I also was fortunate enough to drive a E92 M3, and man was it nice. However, I know people on this forum can glue themselves to my rear view mirror if they're kind enough not to pass me on mountain roads.

M135i is exactly what it is, very very fast and not a full M car, like this....

Nor------------------M135---M

*chuckle* just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 12:58 AM   #14
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
In the face of A45 AMG, I would still go with M135i. Simply because it's RWD, and I get to do my RWD shenanigans. I have driven A45 very brieftly, it's a very nice car, stiffer suspension, but I'd buy another M135i~

I also was fortunate enough to drive a E92 M3, and man was it nice. However, I know people on this forum can glue themselves to my rear view mirror if they're kind enough not to pass me on mountain roads.

M135i is exactly what it is, very very fast and not a full M car, like this....

Nor------------------M135---M

*chuckle* just my 2 cents
I think in most things the M135 bests the A45 AMG (totally agree about the AMG's suspension which I found to be too hard for daily use), and yes, I love doing tail slides on mountain roads as much as the next guy, but I actually think this is the one area BMW sold us a bit short.

The lack of a mechanical diff is REALLY apparent any time you try to let the tail slide - the electronic gremlins quickly try to reign things in, which on the one hand certainly keeps you safe, but really messes up the car's balance and the slide - it's the one thing that makes me long for my old E36 M3. That said, Birds has an aftermarket Quaife LSD for the M135i that has been getting stellar reviews. Sadly it is not available in Japan so I am waiting for BMW's LSD that they are finally offering as an option for the M235i and will soon be also allowing a retrofit for M135i as well...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 01:47 AM   #15
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

TrophyGuy - have you tried DSC off yet, and engaged the e-diff function?

To my mind if I'd wanted the hottest of hatches, it would have been a RS265. The M135i's superior civility in daily driving and the somewhat more unhinged nature of the softer, RWD chassis I find a riot - this makes it a unique package. Different fun, huge fun all the same.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 02:35 AM   #16
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post

To my mind if I'd wanted the hottest of hatches, it would have been a RS265. The M135i's superior civility in daily driving and the somewhat more unhinged nature of the softer, RWD chassis I find a riot - this makes it a unique package. Different fun, huge fun all the same.
My RS265 was probably the most fun cars I've ever owned. The suspension and mechanical diff work together to perform cornering magic that put it right up there with my previous Boxster S. I needed an automatic for my wife and the M135i is VERY close to the RS265 in most categories but blows the RS265 into the weeds in terms of outright power delivery and more upscale 6 cylinder engine note. I really miss the mechanical diff but love the RWD feel of the M135i, something that is uniquely BMW...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 03:21 AM   #17
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

I must admit I am importing LSDs from Quaife to Taiwan for the M135i. Auto and manual use the same one.

You should be able to get it in Japan. I have imported one, installed it, and swapped out the diff. I am not making money off it 'cause it's car club thing. I don't know how it drives yet on the limit, but there are enough reviews out there.

Here's the itemized bleeding XD
(everything in pounds)
Exchange Quaife BMW Final Ratio 1395.00
Exchange Surcharge (refunded on return) 750.00
Shipping to Taiwan 250.00
---------------------------------------------------
Import Tax for importing differential 236.00
Ship swapped diff. to UK 235.00 (FedEx)
just FYI so it's about 2730-750 = 1980 pounds if we want Quaife.

Now I do not advertise for Quaife or drive their car extensively. All I know is people here want it, I help 'em out. I haven't planned one for myself and probably won't. If it's not appropriate here please delete it.

I read it somewhere this is all the M135i or any F20 needs. I do know if that's true, but enough here is willing to try, and I guess this is my chance to feedback to the forum most of you answered my basic questions.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 05:00 AM   #18
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
I must admit I am importing LSDs from Quaife to Taiwan for the M135i. Auto and manual use the same one.

You should be able to get it in Japan. I have imported one, installed it, and swapped out the diff. I am not making money off it 'cause it's car club thing. I don't know how it drives yet on the limit, but there are enough reviews out there.

Here's the itemized bleeding XD
(everything in pounds)
Exchange Quaife BMW Final Ratio 1395.00
Exchange Surcharge (refunded on return) 750.00
Shipping to Taiwan 250.00
Import Tax for importing differential 236.00
Ship swapped diff. to UK 235.00 (FedEx)
just FYI so it's about 2730-750 = 1980 pounds if we want Quaife.

Now I do not advertise for Quaife or drive their car extensively. All I know is people here want it, I help 'em out. I haven't planned one for myself and probably won't. If it's not appropriate here please delete it.

I read it somewhere this is all the M135i or any F20 needs. I do know if that's true, but enough here is willing to try, and I guess this is my chance to feedback to the forum most of you answered my basic questions.
Thanks - I've read tons of good things about the Quaife for the M135i too and have been seriously considering one but as I said, none of the big BMW tuning shops her win Tokyo have ever done one on an M135i before. The guys who put in my M Performance Muffler said they'd be glad to try and are already in the process of pricing it for me, but haven't gotten exact figures for me yet. They are pretty reasonable and do great work though, and I was very pleased with the extensive suspension and exhaust work they did on my E36 M3 about 10 years ago. That said, with BMW now offering the mechanical diff as an OEM option on the 235 and soon after M135i, I will probably wait to cross-shop prices before deciding.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 05:05 AM   #19
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
Thanks for the reminder about this - the answer is no, since I had read that you couldn't disengage DSC in Sports+ mode. After reading your post, I went out to my car and checked all the possible options it offers and found that it does allow you to completely turn off DSG in Eco/Comfort and Sports mode (just not Sports+). I won't be able to get up to the mountains for another full out drive for another week or two, but look forward to seeing how much slide is possible in Sport with DSC fully disabled. Will report my impressions back here right after that. Thanks again for the heads up!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #20
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganeTrophyGuy View Post
Thanks for the reminder about this - the answer is no, since I had read that you couldn't disengage DSC in Sports+ mode. After reading your post, I went out to my car and checked all the possible options it offers and found that it does allow you to completely turn off DSG in Eco/Comfort and Sports mode (just not Sports+). I won't be able to get up to the mountains for another full out drive for another week or two, but look forward to seeing how much slide is possible in Sport with DSC fully disabled. Will report my impressions back here right after that. Thanks again for the heads up!
Notice that the engine management will automatically go to Comfort mode when you select DSC Off, no matter what mode it used to have before.

The e-diff feature is only working with DSC Off.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #21
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

MTG,

I have quaife LSD on my M135i and it makes a good car better, even for road use.

PD
      05-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #22
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganeTrophyGuy View Post
Notice that the engine management will automatically go to Comfort mode when you select DSC Off, no matter what mode it used to have before.

The e-diff feature is only working with DSC Off.
There's not that much difference in throttle response between Comfort and Sport in this setting, ie, it's not like EcoPro, so there's lots of fun still to be had.
Appreciate 0