BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M135 rims with winter wheels

01-29-2013, 01:38 AM   #23
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M Sport (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchhok
Thanks nidfix for your input.

Will post if I made a decision.
Your dealer is obviously doing anything to steal you. 1200€ for your original m135i wheel set is a joke.
Just keep it for summer and buy the winter set with 388 style. It is 7.5" with 225 all around.
If run flat is a problem for m135i (I do not think so) just go for a non BMW set it will cost you less.
I have got m sport brakes on my 125i and could fit 17x8 ET40 with 225 tyres for 1200€. I am pretty satisfied and my dealer did not steal me
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 02:54 AM   #24
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i (soon)

Slightly off topic but does anyone know if the M Performance 405m alloys fit the M135i? I'm sure I saw someone selling a slightly custom M135i on the approved used section of BMW UK's site in white with red mirror caps and the M Performance decal's along with a set of 405m's, but when I checked yesterday after work I noticed it was no longer on the site.

I love everything about the M135i apart from the wheels, where they unique to this particular model, the fact they're only 18''s and not that innovative compared to some other BMW wheels means I think I'll look to some aftermarket alloys within the first 6 months I think.

The fact you can spec a standard 1 series to look far better with exterior M Performance mods, than an M135i kind of sucks, especially given the M135i is supposed to be BMW's current flagship 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 04:55 AM   #25
nidfix
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Buck View Post
Slightly off topic but does anyone know if the M Performance 405m alloys fit the M135i? I'm sure I saw someone selling a slightly custom M135i on the approved used section of BMW UK's site in white with red mirror caps and the M Performance decal's along with a set of 405m's, but when I checked yesterday after work I noticed it was no longer on the site.
In the official BMW leaflet 405M is not available for M135i. Which is weird if the information of AllowWheelDirect website are good as they have the same width/offset as the others (7''/45 front and 8''/52 rear). If so, I don't see why they could fit a 125i and not an M135i (it is not the first "mystery" on 1 serie wheels...). If you can get the confirmation of the actual offsets, you will have your answer.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #26
Minizor
Registered
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i MT

Hi there,
Sorry for topic revival. It's starting to get cold and wet out here, and I started looking around for a set of winter tyres.
I don't really want to invest in a set of new wheels, so I'll keep the original 18" rims of the M135i.
I wanted to know, based on experience, which brand/size you would recommend best. My local dealership seems to have other priorities than me getting the best ride for the money..

Thanks in advance for your input.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #27
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I think the best winter tyre for Nordic conditions (no high speed Autobahn driving) is the Michelin Xi3. I don't know what size would work best in 18", but you could use the same size you have in summer tires.

I run 205-width in all corners on our 116i. Generally narrow tires are better in snow and slush, while wider tires are better on ice and tarmac.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 03:00 AM   #28
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

The main issue for BMW is what is type approved i.e what tyres have been tested and are part of the car's registered safety approval.

In Germany, the 'type approved' tyres are listed in the car's documentation and only those tyres can be used (from a legal and insurance standpoint, anything else is considered not 'roadworthy i.e you wouldn't get an MOT certificate)

Again in Germany, almost all BMWs that specify asymmetric tyres sizes for summer (M- and M-sport cars) specify narrower, symmetric winter tyres on different rims

Economically, buying a 2nd set of wheels has always worked OK for me, ultimately costing me less than a single set of tyres when you consider buying price less selling price after 2 seasons

Add to the fact that the winter tyres in symmetric sizes are way cheaper (due to the production volume and smaller size) and more freely available and the fact I don't have to drive the more expensive rims on salty, slippery roads and for me a 2nd set of wheels makes sense

Last edited by SteveC; 10-20-2013 at 03:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #29
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

Official BMW Winter wheel/tyre sets available for M135i

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...70&hg=36&fg=95

I have 17" BMW Style 379 Sport which I intended for use in winter

10-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #30
Minizor
Registered
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
The main issue for BMW is what is type approved i.e what tyres have been tested and are part of the car's registered safety approval.

In Germany, the 'type approved' tyres are listed in the car's documentation and only those tyres can be used (from a legal and insurance standpoint, anything else is considered not 'roadworthy i.e you wouldn't get an MOT certificate)

Again in Germany, almost all BMWs that specify asymmetric tyres sizes for summer (M- and M-sport cars) specify narrower, symmetric winter tyres on different rims

Economically, buying a 2nd set of wheels has always worked OK for me, ultimately costing me less than a single set of tyres when you consider buying price less selling price after 2 seasons

Add to the fact that the winter tyres in symmetric sizes are way cheaper (due to the production volume and smaller size) and more freely available and the fact I don't have to drive the more expensive rims on salty, slippery roads and for me a 2nd set of wheels makes sense
Hmm.. ok I'm getting more confused. I went to my local garage (non-BMW), they have these new Pirelli Sottozero 3 in 225/40R18, which are symmetrical tires, a bit cheaper and have a better grip rating (B) than the previous model of Pirelli WSZ2 (C) (which are asymmetrical tires..)

However, if I follow the list that sootyvrs kindly posted, only the WSZ2 are certified by BMW as 18" winter tires.. even though they are asymmetrical..
Appreciate 0