BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Manual Car rental, south florida

09-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #23
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325 Baller View Post
The odds of me crashing on my own street are pretty low but then again thats a risk neither my dad nor i am willing to take. I think ill take whoevers advice it was to find a company taht teaches or just use a friends and replace his clutch, if or when i blow it lol
If you think you'll learn how to "drive" stick on your street (only), you're very wrong!
Driving a stick is not just to learn how to put in first, start moving, then shift to second... You would be a total mess in S FL traffic or wherever you end up.

Don't kid yourself that it is so easy and that three afternoons in the rental will get the job done...
I have been driving a stick my whole life; I stopped driving a MT for a bout two years in the mid 90's and it took me a good week to get the feel back...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #24
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
If your intention is to learn to drive a manual transmission is to purchase an M3 in the near future, I would highly recommend trading in your car for one with a manual transmission. Sure, you could pick up a manual and learn the basics in an afternoon. But in order to learn the finer points, you should really start driving one on a daily basis.

I learned how to drive a manual a couple of years before purchasing my first car. However, my parents cars were automatics. Fast forward 2 years when I went to the dealer to finally get my own car, it felt like I was starting all over again. At that time I was buying a $6000 car, but you are looking at buying something 10 times that amount with MUCH more power.

I'm not going to get into the usual spoiled kid discussion, but it seems that you probably have the means to trade in your car and get a manual. This would give you at least a year or so to practice and learn to use a manual on a daily basis. Then when you get the M3 you will be more ready.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #25
fatlaces
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2003 3.0i

it aint that easy to blow a clutch, is it ?
I started out learning to drive stick shift (actually never tried automatic), and I've never heard of any destroying the clutch...
Just start off easy and you'll do fine

good luck with the m3. its a great car!
and yeah, sports cars with automatic is a big no-no.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #26
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Lol thats the misconception of this thread, most of you think im trying to learn to get an m3, no not at all. Im trying to learn so I can drive a manual transmission car, in general.
      09-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #27
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

I agree that just going to a driving school or driving a rental will not allow you to perfect the art of driving manual. But it will get you started...and everyone has to start somewhere.

You're not going to blow up the clutch up learning...unless you do really stupid things like rev the engine to 7k and dump the clutch. It's not made out of cotton candy...it can take it. You just don't want to start with bad habits (like riding the clutch) so it's important to learn from someone who knows what they are doing.

If you get the M3...and it is your first manual car...great. Just make sure you take it slow...and have someone teach you the basics well (ie the importance of going to a driving school...if your dad does not know how to drive a manual tranny). Practice in an open area...then practice on inclines. Practice, practice and practice.

I make NO judgments of your age...as long as you respect the car. The M3 will be a beast of a car...and for many a car that is out of their price point. So don't be flashy about it...remember you're not paying for it. Your parents are. So be cool and be respectful to the clutch and engine when you drive. You'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #28
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlaces View Post
it aint that easy to blow a clutch, is it ?
I started out learning to drive stick shift (actually never tried automatic), and I've never heard of any destroying the clutch...
Just start off easy and you'll do fine

good luck with the m3. its a great car!
and yeah, sports cars with automatic is a big no-no.
Really? I thouhgt it was easy or is that just a big misconception?

Thanks for the kind words and not the bashing like most people on here.
      09-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #29
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
I agree that just going to a driving school or driving a rental will not allow you to perfect the art of driving manual. But it will get you started...and everyone has to start somewhere.

You're not going to blow up the clutch up learning...unless you do really stupid things like rev the engine to 7k and dump the clutch. It's not made out of cotton candy...it can take it. You just don't want to start with bad habits (like riding the clutch) so it's important to learn from someone who knows what they are doing.

If you get the M3...and it is your first manual car...great. Just make sure you take it slow...and have someone teach you the basics well (ie the importance of going to a driving school...if your dad does not know how to drive a manual tranny). Practice in an open area...then practice on inclines. Practice, practice and practice.

I make NO judgments of your age...as long as you respect the car. The M3 will be a beast of a car...and for many a car that is out of their price point. So don't be flashy about it...remember you're not paying for it. Your parents are. So be cool and be respectful to the clutch and engine when you drive. You'll be fine.
Thanks space..if any of you knew me personaly you would know I dont flaunt(sp?) in peoples faces I was just asking an honest question. I dont drive like a typical teenager (speed limit is what i want blah blah) i respect the speed limit but occasionally will have a little fun, but nothing like weaving in and out of traffic and ive never street raced nor do i plan on it, if somone wants to go a 1/4 mile we have 2 tracks down here to do it on.
      09-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #30
wanna325i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92

What about buying a junk car(less then a 1200? that's the price to replace a cluth anyway) to learn? like those old civic or accord with MT.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 02:13 PM   #31
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
^ thats not a bad idea but what about insurance?
      09-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #32
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna325i View Post
What about buying a junk car(less then a 1200? that's the price to replace a cluth anyway) to learn? like those old civic or accord with MT.
I considered that as well. It's worth a thought.

When I purchased my 325i...I used the money I would have used to buy an old beater and bought the free maintenance package upgrade (they replace brakes and clutch for free within 3 years).
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #33
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

Quote:
^ thats not a bad idea but what about insurance?
thats the problem....ive wanted to buy a beater for a while now to drive to school but my parents wont allow cause the insurance will cost almost as much as the dam car. rent a car and forget about all the hassle
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #34
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Ill just use my cousins car and if I fuck up the clutch ill replace it.
      09-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #35
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
The umm apple stuff (besides iphone which i paid half and cancelation at tmobile) was mandatory for school. The imac was not mine its my mothers. Ive been on this site for over 2 years with no one accusing me of anything that you are (acting bmwexec) which to be honest is an insult. M driving school came free with the purchase of his car. I dont know what the point of you telling me that im trying to fool someone. I personally dont have much money, maybe saved away for after college and such (but i dont know anything about that) but personally I have around 2k in my account, all of which I worked for, so its not like they just say heres a credit card go run wild and buy half of the world. When it comes to education (laptops that you brought into this) my parents are the exact opposite of cheap, they feel education is the most important thing in the world, so they bought me the items needed (my school has a laptop policy so they are mandatory).

To be honest I dont think i need to explain my self to you, your not the dean/my parents/the police (unless you do work in law enforcement then im sorry officer) The point of this was to ask about renting a manual car not if im mature enough to drive an M car...so if you dont have an input on that I dont think its necessary to post?
You really misread post for some reason it seems. I'll go down everything you said.

First, you stated in your thread that your father randomly bought you an iphone, imac and other shit. Never stated it was your moms or anything else so how am I suppose to know this? From what you posted it seemed that you just got it all randomly.

Second I am not saying you are exactly being like BMWexecutive but it is sort of seeming like it. Because as I just stated you say one thing and now it seems like you are saying another. And I stated as long as you dont lie like he does then you arent like him.

You said M school came with his car? Did you mean yours or BMWexec? If so last I checked he did it because he is an idiot and crashed by taking corners way to fast.

I merely brought that up since M school is pricey and was asking if you were paying or your parents. It doesnt matter who pays but my point was too show you do get more shit than an average kid. Especially M school which is a couple grand right there.

haha, did I ever say you didn't deserve an M3 because of maturity? No again you keep misreading my threads. First calm down and read my post again. Then you will realize I only stated you should be smart dont get an m3 instead learn driving a manual for awhile and also get a different car that is more practical. Shit if that is saying you arent mature enough and being a jerk then dang I'll stop.

But for someone who doesn't have so much money buying an M3 would seem too lavish.
      09-03-2007, 12:09 AM   #36
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
oy vey can we just drop it
      09-03-2007, 12:41 AM   #37
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
oy vey can we just drop it
If that's what you want.
      09-03-2007, 12:42 AM   #38
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Its too late/early to argue
      09-03-2007, 12:43 AM   #39
wanna325i
Private First Class
Rep

check this link out. I dont know how close to ur cousin, that is alot can go worng onther then clutch itself. What if you money shift it? Cant you get a month insurace? I mean you can drive 24 hours day and 7 days a week. You will have alot seat time then G35.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=15
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 12:50 AM   #40
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
ehh I dont see him having a problem with the g35, hes offered numerous times so im finally taking him up on his offer
      09-03-2007, 01:06 AM   #41
wanna325i
Private First Class
Rep

okie..have fun man. You will fall in love with MT, and want to get a MT BMW so bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 11:42 AM   #42
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
lol well I only have 1 year left on my lease so hopefully I can wait that last year =/
      09-03-2007, 02:35 PM   #43
wanna325i
Private First Class
Rep

i guess it is the perfect time for you to join the wait to the new M3:rocks:
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #44
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Just take a proper MT course. Since you are planning to get the M3, you should plan to take the advance MT driving course as well.

Going from one rental MT car to another will not do you any good if your technique is wrong.

Quote:
Im looking to learn to drive stick shift, most likely (if i stay in state for college) my next car will be the new m3 and would like to take advantage of driving a true sports car the way they were meant to be drive. That being said...my cousin was teaching me in his g35 but I was apprehensive of blowing his clutch so never fully learned. What I would like to know is if anyone knows a car rental company taht rents manual cars in south florida (west palm beach-miami).

Thanks in advance...