BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 118i f20 paint problem

10-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
ilkercgs
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i F20

Angry 118i f20 paint problem

Dear 1 series addicts;

I am from Turkey. I have BMW 118i F20 2012 which has red colour. It is in 15200km. I think that I have a quality problem in paint of engine hood. Probably, while i was driving in high way, small stones crashed on hood. As you know, this is very typical situatio for all automobiles in the whole world.

Then after 1st washing, upper layer of paint on hood was damaged and peeled. Kindly check attached two photos.

Are there any bmw 1 serie user who has same quality problem? I think there is a quality problem in coating process of hood painting? Because I had E87 for 6 years but I did not have any problem because of small particules crashed in high way.

I would like to receive your comments.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
bimmer man
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 745le xdrive 2020, i3 2020

Garage List
2020 745le  [0.00]
2012 640i  [10.00]
Hmm this can be repaired on the paint warranty. car is like new after that. But it is annoying when such injuries occur. Be sure to get your free car rental when your car is in paint work. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
harrys
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 116i steptronic

Same here but only the small white dots.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Honziss
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 116d + E81 116i

Depending on the speed, shape and material of object that hits the car it could happen that small amount of paint is damaged. (usually small white spots of visible primer or ecoat)

But the stuff on your pictures - it looks more like bad adhesion between basecoat and topcoat which could happen when application parameters are not fullfiled.

Go to dealer, claim it, tell them to send pictures to bmw and repair of whole hood free of charge.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #5
ilkercgs
Rep

Thanks for your attention!

I am going to dealer today and send you their comments about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
powershots80
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F20

High pressure water jet used? it looks like that the damage is originated from a paint chip.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
ilkercgs
Rep

Dear All;

BMW Service which is biggest service in Turkey inform me that "this damage can not be fixed in guarantee condition. Paint was damaged because of stone crash. BMW AG can not have quality problem in their factory process".

When I say "I never saw this kind of problem in our cars which are E87,90,mini cooper, renault, mercedes and vw". They say that "this is because of angle of stones which crashed the car".

What is your comments??
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #8
ilkercgs
Rep

Dear All;

BMW Service which is biggest service in Turkey inform me that "this damage can not be fixed in guarantee condition. Paint was damaged because of stone crash. BMW AG can not have quality problem in their factory process".

When I say "I never saw this kind of problem in our cars which are E87,90,mini cooper, renault, mercedes and vw". They say that "this is because of angle of stones which crashed the car".

What is your comments??
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
Honziss
Private
Rep

Coating is always tested for chip resistance. Car manufacturers does this on device which is called gravelometer, where are the stones or small steel particles blowed with pressure air against coated test pannel. Belive me, this test is much much harder then real conditions on the road. Usually you'll get a lot of white spots where the basecoat is missing, but it should not affect topcoat that much. What you have in your case is poor adhesion between basecoat and topcoat.

I guess, that you dealer doesn't contact bmw ag and they just decided to reject your claim. Contact importer in your country to claim the car and also dealer's activities.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
Ozolz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 116i m-sport 2014

I would have destroyed my dealer if this happened to me and they said "we cant help you".
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 02:56 AM   #11
Honziss
Private
Rep

Dear Ilkercgs, I resend your photos to one of my customer who is working in qc department in VW (making VW Touareg, Audi Q7, Cayenne...means they have a lot experiences and high quality demands). She guess, that small chip from stone is ok, that could happen, but loosing of clearcoat is not ok at all. It shows poor adhesion between basecoat and clearcoat that can have several causes:

- bad curring condition at flash off. Which means that layer wasn't baked properly after application. Each material has specific specs for flash off defined by time and min/max baking temperature, if this is not fulfilled then the coating doesn't get it's properties

- hood was repainted more then once, which means that went thru baking process too many times, which makes topcoat fragile. Usually 4th flash off = car body or part has to go to scrap

- hood was repainted and total coating thickness is too high. Car body could be repainted at any stage of coating process, but if this happen, total coating thickness is too high and it's loosing flexibility

Generaly, car manufacturers has high interest in efficiency, so they are trying to avoid unnecessary scraping of bodies and prefers repairs of the coatings. Mistake could happen anywhere, problem is, it that happens in paintshop and defect is not visible (poor color, gloss, appearance), it's usually on customer to find out and claim.

So, don't give up and claim it, you're in right!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #12
Honziss
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolz View Post
I would have destroyed my dealer if this happened to me and they said "we cant help you".
I can imagine, that my dealer will behave the same way. Generally, BMW dealers (sales, service, accessories) are having very poor knowledge and they are quite arogant. The could be like this, because bmw makes nice cars, has a very good marketing and people are buing it without any high effords of bmw sales.

If you'll go to buy ordinary car to ford, renault, peugeot....you'll be treated like a king compared to bmw. You know why? Because they won't let you go to competition...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 05:46 AM   #13
rickk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F56E Mini Cooper SE

I agree with Honziss.
The small chip is normal. The clearcoat peeling definately not.

I've only seen that happen on bad or 10-20 year old paintjobs.

Good luck,
Rick
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #14
Ozolz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 116i m-sport 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honziss View Post
If you'll go to buy ordinary car to ford, renault, peugeot....you'll be treated like a king compared to bmw. You know why? Because they won't let you go to competition...
That is so true! I remember when I was at a Ford dealer, they brought me coffee and cake and asked if I wanted anything else like fruit or sandwich. And I wasn´t even a customer! They even invited me to go into the back and see the area they were working on the cars. BMW wouldnt dream of letting me do this, they couldnt even tell whats been done on my car last time I needed them to check some squeeking coming from the seat, but they charged me nicely for it...

Compare that to my local BMW-dealer where I´ve bought 3 brand new cars so far. You walk in, no one even says hi or looks at you, you have to get your own coffee from some horrible machine, take a number and sit on horrible cheap wooden chairs while the rude slow working people finally have time for you...

Maybe this is depending on which country you live in, how the BMW-dealers there act towards customers. I suspect they are much more welcoming and service minded in Germany.

Things like this made me wish I could put up with driving some other car than BMW, but I cant...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolz View Post

Maybe this is depending on which country you live in, how the BMW-dealers there act towards customers. I suspect they are much more welcoming and service minded in Germany.

Things like this made me wish I could put up with driving some other car than BMW, but I cant...
You are right! depends on which country you live in. In my case (Perú), my local dealer treats me like a King all the time...there is always one or two people who offers coffee, sandwich, soda, etc...even if you are just looking around... great service here, and I can tell you no other dealer in Peru offers that kind of service.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #16
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

In Norway, the BMW dealers used to be careless about customers, but the service has improved significantly over the last few years. Now they have built a nice drive-in service center close to where I live. There is a lounge, and you can borrow an office to work in (with wifi++) while waiting for your car. They are trying to make a visit to the dealer into a premium experience, like driving a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #17
rickk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F56E Mini Cooper SE

I see the same over here.

A few years back the service at most dealerships was extremely arrogant. Staff was either ignoring or insulting you, and my local dealership in particular was exactly like Olzoz described.

Nowadays there's still some arrogance in the air, but at least staff is polite, patient and helpful, and I am really treated well. It's now actually quite nice to drop in for a coffee and a chat with a salesman.

It's probably the combination of the recession and the way other brands (like Lexus ofcourse) started treating their customers that forced BMW to change it's ways. I'm glad they did!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
ilkercgs
Rep

Dear 1 series addict;

I would like to inform you that BMW official distributor solved problem in my 118i. They re-painted my engine hood and quality looks much better now. I am satisfied with their service now. Thanks to BMW Turkey and Thanks to BMW 1 addicts in this forum.

Have nice drivings.

Best Regards
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
Honziss
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkercgs View Post
Dear 1 series addict;

I would like to inform you that BMW official distributor solved problem in my 118i. They re-painted my engine hood and quality looks much better now. I am satisfied with their service now. Thanks to BMW Turkey and Thanks to BMW 1 addicts in this forum.

Have nice drivings.

Best Regards
Good!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #20
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Hi Ilkercqs
You should take your car to a BMW authorised paint repairer and have them check it then provide you with a report, just in case the problem was caused by some pre delivery damage.

I bought a brand new Mercedes a few years back
After about one year from the purchase, I noticed a very small section of paint lifting around the bonnet emblem, so I took it to a Authorised repairer. They informed me that it had some repairs done previously. This was prior to me picking up a 'new' car.
Needless to say, the dealer had to come clean and paid for a replacement bonnet, nose and a proper paint job.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:53 AM   #21
ant234
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i M Sport

Happened to my F20... but on the hatchback panel. It wasn't as bad as your original pictures but also didn't have any stone chip.
Took the car in, one look and its a warranty job (you hope so with 800km on the clock)
Appreciate 0