BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Manual Car rental, south florida

09-01-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Manual Car rental, south florida

Im looking to learn to drive stick shift, most likely (if i stay in state for college) my next car will be the new m3 and would like to take advantage of driving a true sports car the way they were meant to be drive. That being said...my cousin was teaching me in his g35 but I was apprehensive of blowing his clutch so never fully learned. What I would like to know is if anyone knows a car rental company taht rents manual cars in south florida (west palm beach-miami).

Thanks in advance...
      09-01-2007, 11:37 PM   #2
schneid4323
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, M6

Lol good luck with renting a manual
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 11:38 PM   #3
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
lol why companies dont have those anymore?
      09-01-2007, 11:39 PM   #4
schneid4323
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325 Baller View Post
lol why companies dont have those anymore?
Well not really, to avoid EXACTLY what you are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Not going to happen, esp. in South Florida.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 12:11 AM   #6
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Really crap! maybe ill have to rent the lotus from hertz (they have those in mia) and its manual...but i was looking to spend less then 100 a day...hmm
      09-02-2007, 12:21 AM   #7
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

are you serious? you want to buy a M3, after never driving a manual tranny?

umm...good idea to practice.

Go lease a saturn ion or something, and practice for a few years.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 12:23 AM   #8
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Exactly why I want to rent a car to practice on..thanks bud! ^
      09-02-2007, 12:48 AM   #9
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Phone around local driving schools. Somebody must be still teaching how to drive a manual tranny.

Take a few lessons...and then perfect it when you get your M3.

My 325i was my first manual tranny car. I stalled it 7 times bringing it home from the dealership. Takes a few days and then you get the hang of it. As long as you are not stupid or ride the clutch...you won't really damage your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 01:30 AM   #10
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

I doubt they rent out a Lotus to anyone under 25.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 05:03 AM   #11
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

i dont think anyone under 25 can legally rent a car
good luck though
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #12
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
NOO your misunderstanding it Nikki, my dads going to rent it, because he needs wants to learn too. But okay enough with that...

Thanks spacedogg, i was kinda hoping I could just get the car since my cousin good enough to teach someone how to drive the basics and then I can learn the rest. I guess ill phone around, maybe it will be a birthday present this year...if its that expensive that or ill just pay for it =(
      09-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #13
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
i dont think anyone under 25 can legally rent a car
good luck though
now some places allow 18. But for sure not for a Lotus or anything nice.

Either way getting the new M3 at such a young age? And using manual for first time?

I think you should maybe practice for a good while. Not rent a car for a week and feel your ready. Also why not be more practical and get the 335?
      09-02-2007, 08:50 AM   #14
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I dont really see what the difference is. The m3 and 335 are equally as fast, if anything the 335 is more dangerous because of the possible mods (~340 rwhp) But again I know alot of people who get manual not knowing how to drive it. They litterally teach them self driving off the lot, thats why im trying to learn how before, IF, i take the plunge. Its not like im getting this car tomarrow, or even if its for sure, but IMO its always good to know how to drive a manual transmission. Another thing to mention is im going to M school in december and there are a couple cars (z4m coupe and convert) that only come in manual. I dont feel like sitting out when the rest of the group enjoys those so im trying to try something new and learn it.
      09-02-2007, 08:59 AM   #15
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Im looking to learn to drive stick shift, most likely (if i stay in state for college) my next car will be the new m3 and would like to take advantage of driving a true sports car the way they were meant to be drive. That being said...my cousin was teaching me in his g35 but I was apprehensive of blowing his clutch so never fully learned. What I would like to know is if anyone knows a car rental company taht rents manual cars in south florida (west palm beach-miami).

Thanks in advance...
WOW!
M3 + College...
Wake up man and learn the value of the money. It will help you down the road. What you have right now is way too much for the COllege anyway...

I'll sell you my 325 MT when I get there in 2 weeks, and you can beat it as you wish, then sell it on. Only 15k miles
I will be in Boca Sept 15.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #16
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
haha i dont have that much money and the only reason id be getting the m3 (maybe) is because my parents did the prepaid plan for florida schools. So theyve been putting money aside for me since i was born for college, not like their paying 40k(x4 years)+60k. To be honest i dont really feel you have the right to tell anyone what they should or shouldnt have. If you can afford to why not? I do know the value of money again you dont know me so dont make judgements about someone til you know them personally. thanks
      09-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #17
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
haha i dont have that much money and the only reason id be getting the m3 (maybe) is because my parents did the prepaid plan for florida schools. So theyve been putting money aside for me since i was born for college, not like their paying 40k(x4 years)+60k. To be honest i dont really feel you have the right to tell anyone what they should or shouldnt have. If you can afford to why not? I do know the value of money again you dont know me so dont make judgements about someone til you know them personally. thanks
I am not telling you anything -- I am passing my life experience (twice your age) onto you. I was given all af my dreams and wishes when I was youn, then, when on my own, I experienced the pain of not being able to have it all...
But, if you think you are fine...that's cool. I thought the same at your age so did many other people...

Again, if your parents have all that stashed waiting for M3, they could get another (325 MT) for you to "practice" then turn it around and sell it for (almost) the same (private party of course). Otherwise, throwing $150/day on the rental...

Where in Boca are you?
I (and my fam) am moving to the Mizner area Sep 15.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 10:48 AM   #18
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
The rental I would be paying for using my own money I made working, so its not like everything gets given to me. Most stuff does not, I appreciate your words of wisdom and again I realize my career dreams can go down the drain any second but I hope to do well in life. Its not about getting another 325, im not "spoiled" to the extreme of most boca kids to be honest. I live on clint moore road between jog(powerline) and lyons. Theres a couple neighborhoods there, I live in one of them lol
      09-02-2007, 11:09 AM   #19
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
I dont really see what the difference is. The m3 and 335 are equally as fast, if anything the 335 is more dangerous because of the possible mods (~340 rwhp) But again I know alot of people who get manual not knowing how to drive it. They litterally teach them self driving off the lot, thats why im trying to learn how before, IF, i take the plunge. Its not like im getting this car tomarrow, or even if its for sure, but IMO its always good to know how to drive a manual transmission. Another thing to mention is im going to M school in december and there are a couple cars (z4m coupe and convert) that only come in manual. I dont feel like sitting out when the rest of the group enjoys those so im trying to try something new and learn it.
You don't see the difference between a 335 and a M3? Well yea you must be right BMW did not make a huge difference between a basic model and their M model.

First off the M3 comes stock with a V8 no turbos and cranks out 414bhp. They are two different animals. The M is a beast and is meant to be a race car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
WOW!
M3 + College...
Wake up man and learn the value of the money. It will help you down the road. What you have right now is way too much for the COllege anyway...

I'll sell you my 325 MT when I get there in 2 weeks, and you can beat it as you wish, then sell it on. Only 15k miles
I will be in Boca Sept 15.
Most likely his parents are helping out a great deal with both if not fully. Which nothing is wrong with that. But it can cause someone to think more lavishly when they arent paying. I know that most people have thought that way when they were young.

Quote:
Ok no one has straight out said no you can't have it. Instead we are saying you can have it just not right now. It would be smarter money wise, safety and just learning to drive was to get it later.

If you can afford it why not? Wtf. many kids I know now have street bikes. Brand new ones just because they can now with certain jobs and now having credit. Should they have gotten them? No because now they are stuck with a bike they can only use half a year and now have a payment to make every month plus insurance and such.

Also you don't have much money? Yet then your father bought you an iphone, imac, and other shit just randomly? Yet then you are going to the M driving school soon? Come on who are you fooling here. Please dont become the next BMWEXECUTIVE or I mean now BMWCALI.

All that's left is for you to say you are paying for everything.

Quote:
The rental I would be paying for using my own money I made working, so its not like everything gets given to me. Most stuff does not, I appreciate your words of wisdom and again I realize my career dreams can go down the drain any second but I hope to do well in life. Its not about getting another 325, im not "spoiled" to the extreme of most boca kids to be honest. I live on clint moore road between jog(powerline) and lyons. Theres a couple neighborhoods there, I live in one of them lol
As stated you got a couple grand in Apple stuff for no reason. So your paragraph isn't entirely true.
      09-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #20
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
The umm apple stuff (besides iphone which i paid half and cancelation at tmobile) was mandatory for school. The imac was not mine its my mothers. Ive been on this site for over 2 years with no one accusing me of anything that you are (acting bmwexec) which to be honest is an insult. M driving school came free with the purchase of his car. I dont know what the point of you telling me that im trying to fool someone. I personally dont have much money, maybe saved away for after college and such (but i dont know anything about that) but personally I have around 2k in my account, all of which I worked for, so its not like they just say heres a credit card go run wild and buy half of the world. When it comes to education (laptops that you brought into this) my parents are the exact opposite of cheap, they feel education is the most important thing in the world, so they bought me the items needed (my school has a laptop policy so they are mandatory).

To be honest I dont think i need to explain my self to you, your not the dean/my parents/the police (unless you do work in law enforcement then im sorry officer) The point of this was to ask about renting a manual car not if im mature enough to drive an M car...so if you dont have an input on that I dont think its necessary to post?
      09-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #21
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Well what happens if your dad rents it and then you crash it and people see you? I wouldn't risk it, just buy an old civic or something and mess around.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #22
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
The odds of me crashing on my own street are pretty low but then again thats a risk neither my dad nor i am willing to take. I think ill take whoevers advice it was to find a company taht teaches or just use a friends and replace his clutch, if or when i blow it lol