BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M Sport Steering wheel vs. M Performance Steering wheel

02-19-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
GregSen
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 120d

M Sport Steering wheel vs. M Performance Steering wheel

Hoy everybody!

My car should be arriving at the end of the week, and i'm already considering a change of the steering wheel...

I've got the M sport pack thus the M sport steering wheel, and would like to change for the M Perf. one (alcantara w/o display)...

I don't want to put the M sport steering wheel in a box, doing nothing with it, so i'd be looking to sell it... any idea on the price i could ask for that?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 04:50 AM   #2
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i (soon)

I love the M Performance steering wheel, I like you wouldn't opt for the race display, just doesn't seem worthwhile unless you visit a race circuit every month really

In terms of your possible sale, I suppose it depends if it's heated or not. If its standard, then probably £100-150. However if its heated you could probably ask for in excess of £200
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
GregSen
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

yep it is standard, so not heated... that value could compensate at least a little bit the price for the M Perf

and yes, i don't really see the utility of having the display, specially on a diesel model.. and for what price

Simple Alcantara is just the most sober & the best imo
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i (soon)

Yeah, every little helps tbh, it's not like you'd ever be making the switch back either. When you do come to sell the m performance parts you add to the car are only going to increase sale value and appeal to a future buyer, looking for something a little different than the standard f20 interior.

So is it just the steering wheel your tempted by or you got plans to add another few m performance bits in the future
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
GregSen
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

if only it was only the steering...

Planning to get installed the black grills, the chrome exhaust pipe finisher and maybe also the gear knob, even if i'm not sure about that last one though...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSen View Post
Simple Alcantara is just the most sober & the best imo
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Performance (Dual Pipe) Exhaust is great too
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Buck View Post
I love the M Performance steering wheel, I like you wouldn't opt for the race display, just doesn't seem worthwhile unless you visit a race circuit every month really
It is however the only stock option that will give you infomation about the engine temperature...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

I've used alcantara wheels in a CSL and a GT3 and I had an alcantara wheel in my last car. I loved the look of it but in reality it wasn't very good for every day driving, especially if you do any kind of distance. It's not a breathable material like leather so it can make your palms a bit clamy on long journeys. It's also a bit slippery unless you are wearing driving gloves which is why they are the material of choice for wheels in most track cars. The wheel in the CSL also wore badly so hopefully BMW are using a higher grade of alcantara now.

I'd say try it out but don't sell your leather wheel until you are sure the alcantara one is for you. Using one on the road without gloves made me nervous as it really felt so slippy.
      02-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #10
GregSen
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
I've used alcantara wheels in a CSL and a GT3 and I had an alcantara wheel in my last car. I loved the look of it but in reality it wasn't very good for every day driving, especially if you do any kind of distance. It's not a breathable material like leather so it can make your palms a bit clamy on long journeys. It's also a bit slippery unless you are wearing driving gloves which is why they are the material of choice for wheels in most track cars. The wheel in the CSL also wore badly so hopefully BMW are using a higher grade of alcantara now.

I'd say try it out but don't sell your leather wheel until you are sure the alcantara one is for you. Using one on the road without gloves made me nervous as it really felt so slippy.
Good to know!! I'll try it then and get you guys a feedback! but as you said, the look's just awesome!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #11
Bryan996
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Hi Greg

I've sent you a pm, I'd be interested in buying the M Sport steering wheel, if you still have it, to replace my Sport version.

Thanks
Appreciate 0