BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > continual Jet engine road noise

10-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
RichardF
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 116D SE Automatic

continual Jet engine road noise

Hi Folks,

I have had my BMW 1 series 5 door hatchback 116d automatic for 3 weeks now and have completed about 700 miles. During all of this time there is a continual road noise like a jet engine running. It is more apparent from the driver's seat but can be heard (not quite so much) from the front pax seat.
The noise varies a bit with speed and also slightly with varying road surfaces, hence my attributing it to road noise.
It gets quite distracting and, after a while in the car, very annoying and has taken the joy out of driving it.
I have made an appointment with BMW for them to carry out a road test but was naturally wondering if anyone has had this symptom.
The tyres are Bridgestone Turanza 205/55R16 with basic alloy wheels.
Richard
Southampton
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The tyre model has a huge impact on road noise. Our 116i is very quiet on the winter tyres, Michelin X-Ice Xi3, non run flat. I haven't ever driven on Turanza.

But if it is noisy now, it will only get worse as you wear down the tyres.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

I have Bridgestone Potenzas on mine with 18" wheels and they are pretty noisy and very sensitive to road surfaces. Pirelli's or Michelin's are listed as being quieter but you may just have to live with it until you come to replace the tyres.

If you think those are noisy imagine how loud mine can be at times on 245/35/18 rubber.
      10-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
Koen_BE
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F20 118d

I also have Turanza 205 16's on my car and the road noise isn't bad at all. Certainly nowhere close to a jet engine. Are they run-flat?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #5
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
Have the same noise (205/55/16 Goodyear EffecientGrip RFT) above 120 km/h. According to my friendly BMW service, it is tyre / road noise and it is normal. I agree, because the noise (pitch and volume) is quite different, according to the road surface.
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

If the noise it's related to the tire, try to change the front tire with one from the back.
It might be related to the 8th harmonic of the tire, so you can make a claim to BMW.
Are those summer tires?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
RichardF
Rep

Hi All, Thanks for the replies. Although I accept that there will always be some road noise I do think however that the noise is too intrusive to be considered normal but ,nevertheless, expect that's what the dealer will say. I am though ready to dig my heels in and ask for a 30 minute drive of another 1 series at the very least.
The tyres are regular ones (not run-flat).
Having been in the vehicle maintenance trade for 30 years, I have never experienced this noise. It is at two frequencies really; a high pitched whine and a low fast rumble; hence the jet engine description. Difficult to put into words.
I will update as things pregress.
Richard
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
Honziss
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 116d + E81 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardF View Post
Hi Folks,

I have had my BMW 1 series 5 door hatchback 116d automatic for 3 weeks now and have completed about 700 miles. During all of this time there is a continual road noise like a jet engine running. It is more apparent from the driver's seat but can be heard (not quite so much) from the front pax seat.
The noise varies a bit with speed and also slightly with varying road surfaces, hence my attributing it to road noise.
It gets quite distracting and, after a while in the car, very annoying and has taken the joy out of driving it.
I have made an appointment with BMW for them to carry out a road test but was naturally wondering if anyone has had this symptom.
The tyres are Bridgestone Turanza 205/55R16 with basic alloy wheels.
Richard
Southampton
I had the same issue with the same tires (Turanza ER300) in the same size on my 116d. Then I changed to other wheels with Conti SC5 and everything was fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
RichardF
Rep

Update: Well, as expected, I had no joy from the dealer. The technician drove the car with me as passenger. He did hear the noise and agreed that it was loud but then qualified this by adding that if we drove another F20 with the same tyres, we would get the same road noise. I agreed! WE both agreed that the noise was caused by tyre noise. However, I was not privvy to what he wrote in his report but the service receptionist then informed me that no more could be done as there was no fault. I retorted that I could not accept this and wished to escalate the matter; she gave me the BMW customer service phone no. at Bracknell.
Speaking with them (after they had conferred with agent) that alas they deem it as not having a fault and no more could be done. I pressed them that I want to excalate the matter further, so they are again conferring with the service manager at the agent's to arrange for me to have a discussion with him. Will keep all updated.
Richard
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

Quote:
Update: Well, as expected, I had no joy from the dealer. The technician drove the car with me as passenger. He did hear the noise and agreed that it was loud but then qualified this by adding that if we drove another F20 with the same tyres, we would get the same road noise. I agreed! WE both agreed that the noise was caused by tyre noise. However, I was not privvy to what he wrote in his report but the service receptionist then informed me that no more could be done as there was no fault. I retorted that I could not accept this and wished to escalate the matter; she gave me the BMW customer service phone no. at Bracknell.
Speaking with them (after they had conferred with agent) that alas they deem it as not having a fault and no more could be done. I pressed them that I want to excalate the matter further, so they are again conferring with the service manager at the agent's to arrange for me to have a discussion with him. Will keep all updated.
Richard
sorry, I might be misunderstanding, but are you complaining to BMW about tyre roar from their OEM spec tyres?
      10-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #11
RichardF
Rep

Hi orcomma, Yes I am. They specified the tyre for the car and hence are therefore responsible for the effects; roaring tyre noise (compared to many others cars I have driven).
Richard
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi orcomma, Yes I am. They specified the tyre for the car and hence are therefore responsible for the effects; roaring tyre noise (compared to many others cars I have driven).
Richard
and you think BMW are being unreasonable in claiming the car doesn't have a fault?

What are you aiming for? Compensation? Refund of car price? Free tyres of a different make? Redesign of the 1 series?

I wish you well in your quest but in my opinion BMW are right to claim the vehicle doesn't have a fault (I am usually alone with my opinions mind! )
      10-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
RichardF
Rep

Well, I look at it this way; if the tyres that BMW have fitted prevent me and my wife from driving the car for more than 30 minutes because of the tyre roar, then I say yes, they are at fault. I know that all tyres do not match all cars and in this instance, that match cannot be made worse.
The only remedy I see is to fit four tyres of a different make-up. And, if that is the cure, then this tells me that BMW are indeed at fault as they fitted the tyres.
I wonder what you would suggest I do?
Richard
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm not trying to cause agro - I guess you have no choice then but to get BMW to replace all your tyres with another make.

Just curious about your rationale.

Did you test drive a car with different tyres to the one you purchased?
      10-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
kook
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2005 E46 M3

I've got Bridgestone Potenzas on mine, not exactly complete rubbish but not that flash either. Anyway, after a thousand km's I'd had enough of them. I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports being delivered on Tuesday. Cant wait to get back on some decent tyres!
I'm not sure BMW are going to be wanting to come to your party, but good luck with it anyway. Maybe this is a good time to swap you over to some decent tyres. One thing that truly sh!ts me about all these supposed efficient tyres is what ever happened to safety? Tyres that make you get better fuel economy, eco friendly, low road noise, etc??? What an absolute frikkin joke! A tyres two main objectives should always be lowest stopping distance and best grip. Everything else is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, and shame on tyre companies for advertising and selling all this other cr@p...
"He was injured when the car failed to stop in time, but he was getting excellent fuel economy just before the accident..."

2005 Le Mans Blue E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #16
RichardF
Rep

Hi orcomma,
I did a couple of test drives prior to purchase. The first one had run-flat tyres and gave the car a somewhat harder ride than I would have liked. The second car I drove also had the auto box and regular tyres and all seemed okay. Of course, with a new car there are differing noises to learn but I thought twenty minutes around town would be sufficient. I did not think to note the tyre make and model to be honest (or experiencing such tyre noise), additionally, I was concentrating on what the salesman was showing me regarding all the gizmos the car had.
At present BMW are saying it's not them and that it's the agent's responsibility; the agent naturally tell me it's not them but BMW as they have specified those tyres. I therefore expect some ping-pong between the two but will persevere.
Hopefully, the service manager, who has been asked by BMW to contact me, will test drive it himself; if he does, he cannot deny the loud tyre roar. The outcome of which though can be anyone's guess at present.
Richard
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #17
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

I see... well I hope you get the outcome you are looking for

Keep us updated on progress!!

10-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #18
RichardF
Rep

Update: Had a another BMW technician drive my car and then we drove another 116d with different tyres to mine (Michelin - I forgot to note the actual model/type), both on the same day and the same route. We experienced a definite difference in tyre/road roar. The Michelins were definitely quieter, not the best, but quieter than the Bridgestone Turanzas presently on mine. They are just going to swap the wheels of both cars over as they are exactly the same alloy wheels and slightly less mileage than mine.
Richard

Last edited by RichardF; 10-22-2013 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #19
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

That's a decent result.

For the record. Bridgestones are crap. I danced with joy when i collected my car and it had Pirelli's.
      10-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #20
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
That's a decent result.

For the record. Bridgestones are crap. I danced with joy when i collected my car and it had Pirelli's.
Yeah I don't think I have ever looked foreward to replacing a set of tyres even if it will mean an £800 bill, but I find I am.
      10-25-2013, 04:49 AM   #21
RichardF
Rep

Final Update: Drove the car home yesterday after BMW had swapped the tyres/wheels over and the noise has definitely reduced. Not perfect but an improvement that does not give me a headache after 30 mins driving. At least now I feel that I haven't spent £25,000 for a car to sit in the garage that I and my wife are loathe to drive.
Still can't quite understand though why BMW fitted the tyres in question in the first place.
At my next tyre set change I will be studying the db rating prior to purchase - something I have never had to do before.
Ah well, joys of motoring!
Richard
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #22
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Richard, as I told you in a previous post, it's not really a problem of BMW when they chosen Bridgestone as a suplier, but take into account that not all the tires from the same brand have the same uniformity characteristics.
You had for sure a set of tires with not the proper uniformity forces translated into that road noise.
Working for Pirelli since 2006 I've met this problem this year and managed to solve it in a proper way
Appreciate 0