BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Eco pro "advice" on 2014 manual F20

05-15-2014, 04:39 AM   #1
Ozolz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 116i m-sport 2014

Eco pro "advice" on 2014 manual F20

Hi,

I have had two F20´s. One from 2012 (automatic) and now an 2014 (manual).

There is one thing I cannot explain really with my current car.

It is when driving in Eco Pro, it will advise when to do certain things as usual. Put the gear in neutral at a complete stop so the Auto Start/stop can work, not floor the gas pedal but be more gentle, etc.

But there is one "advice" I really don´t understand.

I am driving on a 90 km/h road, suddenly Eco Pro advises me to lift my foot off the gas pedal.

I imagined the car sensed it was a down hill road slightly, but the speed kept going down and the "advice" was still there to lift the foot off the gas pedal. Eventually the speed was slowed to about 70 km/h but the advice still didn't change. This does not make any sense...

This type of eco pro advice makes sense when I am using the navigation and in about 500m or so there is a roundabout or stop. But in this case I was not using navi and the road was not about to end for 20+ km more.

So why do you think Eco Pro kept telling me to lift my foot off the gas pedal?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

Within the Eco pro setting, you can set a % of how aggressive you want your Eco pro setting. At 100% my Eco pro speed suggests below 50mph. When you are above this I believe it is suggesting you lower your speed until it reaches it's best Eco pro range.

Or it's going into Coast mode!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Eco Pro Schmo

Eco Pro feels like someone shot my car with a tranquilizer dart. I honestly don't think its designed for driving.....just for getting good numbers to please the bureaucrats. I'd rather cough up the extra few quid for gas than drive something that feels like a Nissan Micra
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
Ozolz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetennis View Post
Within the Eco pro setting, you can set a % of how aggressive you want your Eco pro setting. At 100% my Eco pro speed suggests below 50mph. When you are above this I believe it is suggesting you lower your speed until it reaches it's best Eco pro range.

Or it's going into Coast mode!
That setting is at 70% on my car since I set the speed threshold to 110 km/h.

I´m assuming this stupid advice to lift my foot for all eternity is a bug in the software.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
Ozolz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Eco Pro feels like someone shot my car with a tranquilizer dart. I honestly don't think its designed for driving.....just for getting good numbers to please the bureaucrats. I'd rather cough up the extra few quid for gas than drive something that feels like a Nissan Micra
Well it´s all a matter of taste. And in my case taste changes from time to time.

I´ve gone from 320d ´07 >>> 325i coupe ´08 >>> 335i coupe ´10 >>> 118d ´12 >>> 116i ´14

My next BMW can just as easily be an M3 or 5-series or whatever I get in the mood for.

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
DLB800
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 125i M-Sport EB MT

Could it also be because once you get to the higher speed you are actually not optimising your fuel range and so the software recommends reducing speed (as engine is working harder - higher revs etc.)?
      05-16-2014, 04:49 AM   #7
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Eco Pro feels like someone shot my car with a tranquilizer dart.
I'm with you on that

I can get in and around 60mpg easily by driving carefully in Comfort if the mood takes me and just what you do when putting the car in Eco Pro mode anyway as economy becomes your focus otherwise why push the button?

But driving in comfort carefully also means I retain full power to heaters, blowers, A/C etc and not feel weighed down by the car having it's nad's chopped off.

Eco Pro, fine if you like it and it fit's your needs but not for everyone.
      05-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
Ozolz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post
I'm with you on that

I can get in and around 60mpg easily by driving carefully in Comfort if the mood takes me and just what you do when putting the car in Eco Pro mode anyway as economy becomes your focus otherwise why push the button?

But driving in comfort carefully also means I retain full power to heaters, blowers, A/C etc and not feel weighed down by the car having it's nad's chopped off.

Is the climate in UK that extreme (hot and humid) so you notice A/C effect difference between Comfort and Eco pro mode?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
JordW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 125d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post
I'm with you on that

Is the climate in UK that extreme (hot and humid) so you notice A/C effect difference between Comfort and Eco pro mode?
I can't personally tell if it makes a difference to the A/C but then I've only had the car since September so haven't been through the summer yet! I find Eco pro really good as it encourages me to take it easer whilst driving but then feels like a completely different car when I want to go for it! Makes a big difference on the fuel economy too!!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 04:56 AM   #10
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordW View Post
I can't personally tell if it makes a difference to the A/C but then I've only had the car since September so haven't been through the summer yet! I find Eco pro really good as it encourages me to take it easer whilst driving but then feels like a completely different car when I want to go for it! Makes a big difference on the fuel economy too!!
Of course it does because you are in the same mode as the car is, try "Going for it" in Eco Pro then driving carefully in comfort or sport.

You will find the actual differences in achievable economy aren't that large between the modes.
      05-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
Ozolz
Private First Class
Rep

I seriously doubt you will get same mpg driving calmly in Sport as in Eco Pro...you must not have noticed the difference in rpm in those two modes.

JordW sums up what Eco Pro really is, its just there to encourage you to drive calmer. No one is saying its a magic button that saves you a lot of fuel in some magic way. Driving style is everything.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #12
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolz View Post
Nothing to do with the climate, Eco Pro mode automatically runs power consuming circuits within the vehicle in a low power state to take the load off the engine. Yes in the case of the A/C operation and response it's noticeable, to me anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolz View Post
Driving style is everything.
Exactly.
      06-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #13
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Driven today, without using Eco Pro:

2 people in the car, plus luggage. 225-tyres.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #14
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Driven today, without using Eco Pro:

2 people in the car, plus luggage. 225-tyres.
You would of had to be highway driving with no hills to get in the 5.1 as around town in our 116i auto it's getting 8.2 with no motorway driving and 7.1 on long trips.
      06-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #15
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Just under 12 months of records, and 18,000 kilometres travelled in my M135i, my long term average fuel consumption is 7.87L/100k, with a worst of 11.08, and a best of 6.76L/100k. This is all data based on fuel fill logs, not the car's computer.
Yes, I use EcoPro whenever I'm on a speed controlled motorway, along with cruise control.

I'm pretty impressed with these 'performance' results, especially as they're a good 2L/100k better than the Audi 8P S3 it replaced.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 03:48 AM   #16
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

My 3lt 2009 Z4 fuel usage was between 8.5-9.5. BMW's 6 cylinder engines are very fuel efficient.
      06-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #17
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
You would of had to be highway driving with no hills to get in the 5.1 as around town in our 116i auto it's getting 8.2 with no motorway driving and 7.1 on long trips.
There were some small hills along the way, and only partly "highway". No urban driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #18
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

It has to be said that the average consumption exceeded 20 L/100 km during the track weekend.

One day it was raining, and the F20 116i was the fastest car on the track. The next day it was dry, and the F20 116i was among the slowest cars on the track. The other cars pulled away on the straights with a lot more power.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #19
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Once upon a time, people bought BMWs because they wanted well crafted performance cars with great handling, straight off the showroom floor. Fuel consumption was never their prime concern.
Whilst I do understand that the cost of fuel is very high in some counties, and a 1er fits the bill on affordability, it has to be said. If you are going to drive it around without A/C or even a fan running or pussyfoot the gas pedal in Eco pro to save that extra litre, you should have bought a different car. You could have bought another car for half the price and kept the difference in cost in the bank and put that towards your fuel bill.
I hear 'But I wanted a BMW'
Drive a BMW for its 'Driving' pleasure.
If all you are concerned about is saving on fuel costs, buy a BMW bicycle
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 12:45 AM   #20
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Once upon a time, people bought BMWs because they wanted well crafted performance cars with great handling, straight off the showroom floor. Fuel consumption was never their prime concern.
I remember I always felt a need to modify my previous BMWs quite a lot, like putting coilovers in, adding camber and replacing swaybars. With the F20, I don't have to. It works right out of the showroom floor.

Quote:
Whilst I do understand that the cost of fuel is very high in some counties, and a 1er fits the bill on affordability, it has to be said. If you are going to drive it around without A/C or even a fan running or pussyfoot the gas pedal in Eco pro to save that extra litre, you should have bought a different car. You could have bought another car for half the price and kept the difference in cost in the bank and put that towards your fuel bill.
When I drove the 5.1 L/100 km trip, I had the A/C running, and I didn't use Eco Pro. I admit that I was running low RPM and trying to avoid braking to keep the consumption down, but on a boring road, there is not much else to do.

The 116i is actually very good at this game, but it can't beat the F20/F21 diesels, of course.

Quote:
Or maybe even better, a BMW i3.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:00 AM   #21
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20
My point is how pleasantly surprised I've been by the economy of the M135i, which is a high performance car, by any measure. All my previous cars for the past 15 years have been equally "high performance", and the evolution of fuel economy has been noticeable with my recent cars, but quite striking with the M135i. I really don't care about the cost of fuel, or fuel consumption, but in scenarios where the road is good but speed limits are strictly controlled, it just makes good sense to use EcoPro and cruise control, and take the benefits. As soon as I need to 'drive', it's back to Sport!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 06:11 AM   #22
dape90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 118i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC
Totally agree with you!
Appreciate 0