BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Track Day Apparel

03-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Track Day Apparel

I am just wondering some of the things people have on at track days and if they are necessary. If I am just practicing, I left my personal observation here and would like to hear from you

1. Racing suit. I don't think I'll need it. I am not in competition, and I am probably not going to get the car on fire.

2. Racing gloves. I don't think I need it. I find not gripping the steering wheel too tight helps preventing sweating tremendously. With racing gloves steering and shifting becomes kinda numb (more so)

3. Racing shoes. It helps karting, but doesn't seem to work too well inside the car. A pair of running shoes helps rolling my foot off the brake pedal to blip the throttle. Racing shoes require more pivoting movement at least for me.

4. Helmet. Again I have one from karting, but I don't think I'd need one for track days.

What do you think?

Regards
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Found this person, seems to have racing shoes on.... Since its pedal layout is similar to ours, I guess I can learn from this guy.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:45 AM   #3
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I used to bring lots of stuff to track days, and typically changed tyres, changed brake pads, changed brake fluid, adjusted camber and so on.

In the later years I have grown to appreciate driving the car like it is on the public roads. So what do I bring now?

- A waterproof bag. Since the car must be completely empty on the track, I need something to keep my stuff dry if it is raining.

- A helmet. Most track days require this.

- Tyre pressure gauge and 12V compressor. Sometimes I need to change the tyre pressure, and as an instructor I often remind rookies that they are running with wrong pressure. They have of course forgotten to bring equipment, so they borrow mine.

- Sun glasses or umbrella, depending on the weather forecast.

- Water bottle. Being dehydrated does not improve your driving.

- A camera. So that I have something to do when the car is cooling down after a stint.

- A mobile phone. Modern smart phones are great as lap timers.

- Some trackdays require you to bring a tarpaulin to park you car on, in case you should get a leakage. If they don't, I will not bring it.

I have racing shoes and racing gloves, but I don't use them.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Thanks ovekvam

I have one last question. Let's say I am becoming consistent with heel-and-toe, and the rev. matching is becoming smoother. ***Some suggested left foot braking in sedan cars*** I am skeptical. I personally find it somewhat unnatural to do, and I have done left food braking in go karts.

Is that a skill that come much later, or is it not worth the time/danger? I have seen some of the flicks the Group B drivers dance on their paddles, so I suppose they may be relevant at some point? I only practice on a small truck in parking lot when no one is around....

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 12:45 AM   #5
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I have never seen much purpose in left foot braking when driving rear wheel drive cars. After I got the 116i, I found one situation where it could be useful. When approaching a tight hairpin corner with LFB, it could reduce the turbo lag on the corner exit. You would otherwise have to go completely off the throttle, which causes very noticeable lag when you go back on it to power out. I tried LFB, but found it extremely difficult in this situation, since you have to coordinate it with downshifting.

I know some people use it for high speed corners as well, when you only need to reduce the speed by 10-20 km/h to get through. A dab of LFB at full throttle is easier to do than normal braking, as you will usually brake too much. I never do this myself, since my main concern on track days is overheating brakes.

In general, LFB is more popular in rallying than racing. Remember that Group B cars had tons of turbo lag, so you had to be on the throttle pretty much all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 02:54 AM   #6
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Thank you very much for the explanation.
Appreciate 0