BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > First time US Tourist :) East coast tour

09-22-2014, 01:53 AM   #1
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

First time US Tourist :) East coast tour

Hey fellow Bimmer guys and girls,

I've seen you all pay awesome visits to the EU, well now it's my time to go to the States!

I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations, places I must visit, people I have to talk to, holiday discounts etc..

e.g. Good rental car companies, hotels, tours, events, inland flights..

Edit: whostheboss has a point

Cities to visit:

Miami, Orlando, New York, Washington DC and Rotorfest event

Any bimmer memorabilia I musn't miss?

Cheers!

Last edited by Bols; 09-22-2014 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #2
JL350
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0D X4

We did some of the same cities a couple of years ago.

Disney world is huge, I think the three days may be a bit short. When we visited we stayed at one of the resorts, bonus is your luggage can be sent from the airport to the resort and you get a bus to the resort. Staying at the resorts gives you courtesy buses to each park and early entry to the parks. NASA is not part of Disney world but you can book the tour (we booked it through Disney) and they will pick you up and drop you off, it is nearly a full day but worth it.

It will cost a little extra but the time you save and the experience is well worth it. Also plan which parks you really want to see as you won't see all of one park in one day.

Enjoy the trip.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Posting your Itinerary online to strangers? They'll find you and rob you.
lol
      09-22-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

In Miami,

- Visit South Beach of course.

- Go out to the Everglades and do an airboat tour and see an alligator show out there.

- Ride the Water Taxi on the Intracoastal waterway. A great way to see the city and beautiful houses you'd never see from the street. Or take one of those boat tours that do the same thing. I've only done this in Ft. Lauderdale, but they are in Miami, too.

- Drive on I-395 from Downtown to South Beach or vice versa. Great views of Miami, the port is there and you might see some cruise ships, and it's an awesome drive.

- Then drive A1A (this is a slow route along the ocean and high rises that is unique to this city) up towards Sunny Isles Beach.

- If you like city views for pictures, stop by Rickenbacker Causeway and the view of Miami from there is one of the best.

- For nightlife, check out Brickell, an urban neighborhood mostly full of highrise condos just south of Downtown, Miami.

- If you have kids with you, check out Jungle Island. Even without kids if you like animals I'd say it's worth at least a short visit.

- if you like nature, and want to do a day trip, go to the south of the Everglades National Park. Google map "Florida State Hwy 9336" and "Everglades Flamingo Campground" and you will see what I am referring to. This road goes 40 miles to the southern most tip of the United States. There are many stops where you can get out of the car and walk through the vegetation on man made boardwalks above the swamp and see and read about the Everglades and the unique life there. Bring bug repellant!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

I'd skip Six Flags - the crowds/people there are disgusting.
While in DC, check out the White House obviously (front and back, most people don't see the back which is much closer). If you want to go up in the Washington Monument, you have to show up early in the morning to get tickets. Vietnam, WWII, and Lincoln memorials are nearby. Smithsonian museums, Holocaust museum, Newseum, etc. You can tour the US Capitol also.
Ben's Chili Bowl is the go-to food place, but nearby Meridian Hill Park aka Malcolm X park is cool if you're there for the Sunday afternoon drum circle.
      09-22-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Even though your GF won the Disney World / Magic Kingdom part, it's actually a lot more fun than you would think. I've been there 4 times now, and it's always a good time. Just bring a lot of loot, because one park ticket is $100.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Since you are in Eastern PA, what about visiting Philly, at least do the Rocky Run up to the Art Museum Step, or see where the Deceleration Of Independence was signed.

Last edited by Maestro; 09-22-2014 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Thanks guys good info I'll probably rearrange a day or 2 extra towards the south!

I've done disney in paris so from what I hear skipping magic kingdom won't make a big difference!

Last edited by Bols; 09-22-2014 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
Revartr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Make sure to take a drive up around east Tennessee and west North Carolina. Absolutely beautiful scenery, nice people, amazing weather, and awesome driving roads. Not to mention, great southern food. But I'd also take a drive through Colorado and out to California. Miami is also great (lived there for four years) and really fun. Just don't be too put off because the people there can be fairly rude.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
DemolitionJim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 MW M3

h2o is a huge show going on in maryland this weekend if youre up that way.

its in ocean city.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

I think you'll wish that you spent less time in NYC. It's just another big dirty city and you'll see everything you want to see there in two days. Trust me, I lived there for 8 years. Also the subway system there sucks.

There's the BMW plant in Spartanburg SC and if you like car stuff there is the Corvette plant and museum in Bowling Green, KY.

Last edited by PINeely; 09-22-2014 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #12
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Most rental car companies are the same. I think you can reserve the exact car at a few of them. Hertz, Budget, Dollar, etc...

Skip Whorlando all together. That place is the armpit of FL.

Atlanta GA, has an awesome aquarium.

Be sure to drive some of the blue ridge parkway. As you make your way north. Other roads in the area are more fun to drive, but the parkway is beautiful.

What time of year are you visiting?
      09-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #13
Revartr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

If you get a rental car, go through Hertz. Best service, selection, and well-taken care of vehicles I have ever rented. You pay a decent bit more, but it's worth it. Otherwise, go with Enterprise. And make sure you take a drive on the Cherohala Skyway as well. Absolutely beautiful scenery.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #14
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revartr View Post
If you get a rental car, go through Hertz. Best service, selection, and well-taken care of vehicles I have ever rented. You pay a decent bit more, but it's worth it. Otherwise, go with Enterprise. And make sure you take a drive on the Cherohala Skyway as well. Absolutely beautiful scenery.
Last time i was on it i only encounter 3 cars. And it was pretty sweet driving though the clouds when going over the summit. A worthy drive indeed.
      09-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #15
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Since you are in Eastern PA, what about visiting Philly, at least do the Rocky Run up to the Art Museum Step, or see where the Deceleration Of Independence was signed.
The Deceleration of Independence?

Washington DC is awesome - you could spend months there, just visiting the sites and museums. It's also a beautiful city - just make sure you stay in the touristy spots, and don't get off the beaten path - it can be rough...
      09-23-2014, 07:17 AM   #16
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
I think you'll wish that you spent less time in NYC. It's just another big dirty city and you'll see everything you want to see there in two days. Trust me, I lived there for 8 years. Also the subway system there sucks.
I completely disagree with this. If you have never been to New York City, then it is an absolute must. Two days is not even close to enough time to be able to enjoy yourself and see everything you HAVE to see on your first trip. I have been living on long island/brooklyn my entire life and yet to see everything that the city has to offer. You probably lived in manhattan for 8 years which is why you hate the city. My dad is the same way. Hence, why I would never live in manhattan. Instead I live next to the best view you can get of it.

Few ideas:
- FREEDOM TOWER and 9/11 memorial
- show on broadway
- despite that everyone in NY knows to avoid Time Square, you HAVE to go if you are visiting.
- Brooklyn Heights Promenade
- walk the brooklyn bridge
- Citi bike central park
- Mcsorleys (oldest bar in manhattan, also one of my favorites if you are into that).

Honestly, I could go on and on but a google search will easily yield better results.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #17
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Thanks again guys.. Damn 3 weeks is starting to feel really short Might rearrange a day or 2 to rent a Mustang/Camaro and check out some roads north of Orlando.. Afraid I'm not gonna make it all the way up to the Skyway and other mentioned roads though.. Next time
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #18
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols View Post
Thanks again guys.. Damn 3 weeks is starting to feel really short Might rearrange a day or 2 to rent a Mustang/Camaro and check out some roads north of Orlando.. Afraid I'm not gonna make it all the way up to the Skyway and other mentioned roads though.. Next time
All the roads mentioned are somewhat on the way to Washington DC from Florida.
      09-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #19
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
All the roads mentioned are somewhat on the way to Washington DC from Florida.
Yes I noticed, however we decided to take a mainland flight from NY to MIA and back again for time and money savings. (flying back home from MIA was about 5x as expensive as flying back to NY first lol..)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #20
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Ahh i see. Enjoy your trip!!
      10-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #21
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Visit Philly.
Jim's steak. I like.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #22
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
The Deceleration of Independence?

Washington DC is awesome - you could spend months there, just visiting the sites and museums. It's also a beautiful city - just make sure you stay in the touristy spots, and don't get off the beaten path - it can be rough...
You do realize there is only 1 real bad part of dc, right? The stories people tell are hilarious.

Nearly everything in the area is insanely wealthy... Most exp housing market in the country.