BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Big platform cuts coming, BMW plans to work off only two architectures!

03-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #23
The long haul
Hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Ghibli, E92m, FTR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Bubble View Post
Umm, the purpose of doing business is to make PROFIT.
I see nothing wrong with that
More money, more research and development therefore better cars/more choices
Yeah because we've all seen how much they've offered with their record profits.
Oh that's right.... we got the i brand (ok it has its place but I still hate it) and the awesome active tourer. Couldn't have lived without the active tourer..... Oh and it even has an M Sport variant.
Hell yeah we will get more variety, Toyota level crap but variety it is..
God knows it'd be terrible to have a Z4 M
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #24
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMvy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
A shared platform doesn't have to spell compromise.
Yes it does, almost by definition. As an engineer I feel this way, but I'd love to be wrong.
You're undoubtedly far more knowledgable on the production process that goes into these platforms than I am, but my point still stands: shouldn't we wait and see how the end product is before making judgement? If you look at my post history, I'm hardly someone that backs BMW's agenda these days, but I'm not going to cry foul based on principle. VAG has had plenty of success with their shared architecture.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #25
psykick5
Rep
Drives: E34

Wow the list of reasons not to buy a new BMW in the coming years is getting longer and longer. Looks like I'll be keeping my E34 540/6 for the next 20 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #26
Grock
Banned
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: RS5

Unless something drastic happens F80 will be my last BMW.

I really hope they can make "this one platform for all" work but I'll never buy a future BMW without test driving it as I did thus far.

Greed
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #27
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

It's the German GM!
      03-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #28
The long haul
Hi
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykick5 View Post
Wow the list of reasons not to buy a new BMW in the coming years is getting longer and longer. Looks like I'll be keeping my E34 540/6 for the next 20 years.
Exactly. You own a real BMW from the days back when they're cars were ultimate drivers versus this cost savings FWD shit!

Btw a E34 540/6 is amazing, I'd love to own one.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #29
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Cant see how this is a good thing. Looks like I'll be holding on to my 1er for a good long while unless they change their mind.

Either that or another brand will get some money next time.
      03-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #30
rideontwo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VaNOs

Platform sharing results:

Winner = BMW Group (profits go up)
Loser = Consumers (prices go up, sell to the masses and toss a bone or two the core audience)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #31
reborn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

I read an article that said they could turn the FWD platform backwards to make a RWD car. Maybe that's how they'll make a 2 series.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #32
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeene View Post
Me 2. My next car will be a 911. My next SUV could very well be a Macan (even though I know it is a tarted up Audi).

I will always have my E90 M3 in the garage though. Best car I've ever owned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
I love Porsche too but they share platforms and engines with VW and Audi.
And what is wrong about a VAG platform? The Cayenne has better handling than an X5/X6, the Macan also probably better the X3/X4. More then that the next Porsches will be based on a RWD platform developed by Porsche for VAG. It means Audis will drive on Porsche platform, not the other way round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverenoughboost View Post
Yeah because we've all seen how much they've offered with their record profits.
Oh that's right.... we got the i brand (ok it has its place but I still hate it) and the awesome active tourer. Couldn't have lived without the active tourer..... Oh and it even has an M Sport variant.
Hell yeah we will get more variety, Toyota level crap but variety it is..
God knows it'd be terrible to have a Z4 M
Without Toyota BMW would not have any Z4 successor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reborn View Post
I read an article that said they could turn the FWD platform backwards to make a RWD car. Maybe that's how they'll make a 2 series.
Not really true. The FWD platform has its engine placed on or outside the wheel axle, that means to the extremities of the car. It is the RWD platform, that can be used for a mid-engine car, as the engine is closer to the centre. Same goes for Porsche's new MSB platform on which a 960 can be based.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #33
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
This has to be hinting at incorporating CFRP into the chassis. They can't do that with separate platforms because of the costs but if we're talking about one platform it's much more feasible. Other than that, not sure what the goal would be. At least we know it's something that needs to be done if Mercedes is also cutting down on platforms.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #34
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

I cant afford a Porsche so my next car will most probably be an A45 in 10 years or so.
      03-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #35
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

What are the 5 current platforms?

Mini/2-series FWD
1/2/3-series RWD/xDrive including X3/X4
5/6/7-series including X5/X6
Z4
???

Last edited by SamS; 03-15-2014 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #36
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Bubble
You cannot argue with that.

Also,
More money = more research and development therefore better cars and more choices.
Yes, but there is a difference between short-term profits through cost-saving crap like this and long-term profits through maintaining the quality and individuality of your brand/marque. This is a very disappointing direction BMW is moving in and it will ultimately damage its core business!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #37
jhietter
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i sport 6-speed

This article sort of explains platform sharing, it is not as bad as it sounds. Apparently platform sharing today just means that they will share the parts they can but still develop specialized products for each car when necessary.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/much-pla...155343182.html
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #38
The long haul
Hi
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
And what is wrong about a VAG platform? The Cayenne has better handling than an X5/X6, the Macan also probably better the X3/X4. More then that the next Porsches will be based on a RWD platform developed by Porsche for VAG. It means Audis will drive on Porsche platform, not the other way round.

Without Toyota BMW would not have any Z4 successor.

Not really true. The FWD platform has its engine placed on or outside the wheel axle, that means to the extremities of the car. It is the RWD platform, that can be used for a mid-engine car, as the engine is closer to the centre. Same goes for Porsche's new MSB platform on which a 960 can be based.
Well laid out post but I think you misinterpreted my Toyota comment. I love the upcoming Toyota/BMW pics I've seen but rather what I meant was BMW has become like Toyota with their hybrid and FWD shit. When the X1 went FWD I was beyond pissed.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #39
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
This makes perfect sense, considering recent history.

We now have more model numbers in spite of having the same number of chassis.

Why? Because BMW is more concerned about the "perception" of consumers than in honest marketing. BMW thinks it can make up for fewer choices with better marketing. If this is the current mental state of BMW, it makes perfect sense to cut costs, consolidate on the best selling platforms, claim it can do this because those platforms have been recently improved and are now more adaptable to different market segments (possible but it would require more expensive platforms, think F-35 Joint Strike fighter), and actually increase marketing efforts and expense.

If this is true, then we will see a reduction in chassis and an increase in model numbers (a BMW 935 anybody?)

That being said, it is possible to make fewer basic chassis cover more models IF money and technology are poured into the basic chassis so it is adaptable to multiple platforms. Is this what is going to happen? Do you feel lucky? Punk?
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #40
ProbyOne
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura TL / E93 M3 / 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Bubble
You cannot argue with that.

Also,
More money = more research and development therefore better cars and more choices.
Yes, but there is a difference between short-term profits through cost-saving crap like this and long-term profits through maintaining the quality and individuality of your brand/marque. This is a very disappointing direction BMW is moving in and it will ultimately damage its core business!
Excellent post. It should always be about the customer from a business perspective. Long term this is how to be successful. BMW should also know this so I can't say that I'm too worried.
      03-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #41
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

BMW: The Ultimate Profit Machine

All US gasoline models share one of three basic engine cores too. I wonder if this will drop to two within the next 5-7 years...
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #42
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by reborn View Post
That would mean the engine would have to be in the rear as well, no?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #43
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideontwo View Post
Platform sharing results:

Winner = BMW Group (profits go up)
Loser = Consumers (prices go up, sell to the masses and toss a bone or two the core audience)
Which bone is being tossed our way? At least Porsche still makes cars like the GT3, GT3 RS, GT3 RS 4.0, GT2, GT2 RS, Cayman R, Boxster Spyder, and 918 Spyder. Where are the enthusiast cars from BMW?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #44
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Which bone is being tossed our way? At least Porsche still makes cars like the GT3, GT3 RS, GT3 RS 4.0, GT2, GT2 RS, Cayman R, Boxster Spyder, and 918 Spyder. Where are the enthusiast cars from BMW?
The i8.
Appreciate 0