BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > My EB F21 125i M-Sport - arrived at the dealership!

09-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
rickk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F56E Mini Cooper SE

Talking My EB F21 125i M-Sport - Got it!!

I wnet by the dealership yesterday, just to check if there were any new M Sports on the lot to on, a little habit I've developed since ordering mine at the end of august.

As it happens, there were two EB's sitting on the lot, and one was looking suspiciously like my spec.. went in to ask and... in fact it WAS MINE

It was delivered to them a few hours earlier, which is more than a month earlier than expected

Full option list (in Dutch, so good for practicing your language skills ):

1D51 - 125i 3-deurs
B45 - Estoril Blau metallic
LCSW - Leder Dakota Schwarz
ZB2 - Business +
ZUP - Upgrade Edition
ZVA - Rijcomfortpakket
ZVB - Comfortpakket
ZVF - Zichtpakket i.c.m. M Sportpakket
1CA - Selectie CO2 (Intern)
2NH - M Sportremsysteem
2N4 - [337] Lichtmetalen M wielen in Sterspaak styli
2PA - Slotbouten voor LM wielen
216 - [ZVA] Servotronic (stuurbekrachtiging snelheid
230 - EU AG intern
249 - Multifunctioneel stuurwiel
258 - Banden met noodloopeigenschappen
337 - M Sportpakket
4AE - [337] Middenarmsteun voor, verschuifbaar
4DX - [337] Accentlijsten Estoril Blau matt
4MR - [337] Interieurlijsten Aluminium Hexagon
4NE - AG-Intern
4UK - Vijf zitplaatsen
423 - Velours matten
431 - [ZVF] Automatische dimmende binnenspiegel
481 - [337] Sportstoelen
493 - [ZVB] Opbergpakket
5DC - [ZVF] Buitenste hoofdsteunen achter neerklapba
502 - [ZB2] Koplampsproeiers
508 - [ZVA] Park Distance Control (PDC)
520 - Mistlampen voor
521 - [ZVF] Regen- en lichtsensor
522 - [ZB2] Xenon lampen voor dim- en grootlicht
534 - [ZVB] Airconditioning, automatisch
544 - [ZVA] Dynamic Cruise Control (DCC)
548 - Kilometertacho
563 - [ZVB] Uitgebreid verlichtingspakket
6AA - BMW Teleservices
6AB - Ondersteuning BMW Teleservices
6NH - Bluetooth telefoonvoorbereiding incl. US
6WA - Uitbreiding instrumentenpaneel
606 - [ZB2] Navigatiesysteem Business
698 - Regiocodering voor DVD
704 - [337] M Sportonderstel
710 - [337] M Sportstuurwiel
715 - [337] M Aerodynamicapakket
760 - [337] Individual hoogglans Shadow Line
775 - [337] Individual hemelbekleding Anthrazit
8KA - Condition Based Service
8SC - Ondersteuning BMW Teleservices
8S3 - Automatische vergrendeling tijdens rijde
8TH - Speed Limit weergave
8V2 - NCAP-aanduiding
845 - Akoestische waarschuwing veiligheidsgord
868 - Nederlandse taalversie
886 - Boordliteratuur Nederlands

And the following retrofits by the dealer, to compensate for the lack of an L6 :

///M Performance Exhaust System
Alpine Audio

Time for some PICS!

(still sitting high on transport blocks and MPP exhaust not yet fitted)

The bad news is that I'll have to wait for another two months as my current lease (Golf MKV GTI) only ends end of november

Last edited by rickk; 11-22-2012 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Congrats on the choice The EB F21 looks great

Do youself a favour and talk to the lease company.

They may be able to jump the last two months onto the new contract and you drive away the F21 next week.

If not, just pay it out now, I know I could not wait knowing the F21 is at hand.

As the Nike ad goes JUST DO IT Enjoy the new toy
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 02:43 AM   #3
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Hi Rickk

Beautiful looking car, bet you can't wait to get your hands on it.

When you do, I'd be really grateful if you could let me know what you think of the m performance exhaust system in terms of sound. This is something I will be very tempted to add to mine when I get it. Would love some closer pictures of it as well.

Many thanks
Martin
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
JayRikei
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F20 EB 125i Msport

Congrats!

You car looks mighty fine. Beautiful colour!
I'm interested in M performance exhaust system as well. Hopefully it's not too expensive but we tend to pay way more than the rest of the world here in New Zealand.
Pleeeeease do let us know what you think of the sound or record a video when you get it.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
rickk
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks!

Ofcourse I'll try to get the car earlier if possible, was already on the phone with the lease provider the same day

And ofcourse I'll let you guys know about the MPP exhaust. I'm very anxious myself. As there's hardly any info on the web right now, it's a gamble for me too..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Great choice! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
rickk
Private First Class
Rep

Picked up the car tonight and spent the last 3 hours driving it

Some random first impressions:

Looks great at night, with all the LED and Xenon goodness going on. Very happy with Estoril Blue too.

M Performance exhaust looks and sounds good. Happy I got it. It's a lot louder outside than inside and it sounds quite aggressive on startup. After that it offers a nice bassy note in the low revs and at times a bit of crackle and pop when lifting off. Doesn't seem to add much in high revs, where the GTI definitely sounds louder and quite frankly a lot better.

Generally it's fine, but still experienced pretty serious turbo lag a few times, especially in comfort mode. In any case, it's quick, but the GTI (chipped) feels a bit faster. This might also be caused by the sound and the added drama caused by a lack of frontend grip.

The (non-adaptive M) suspension is a lot softer than the GTI, almost too soft for my tastes, but it does hold the road much better. Much more grip.

Related, braking is much much MUCH better too, ABS kicks in a little later and I haven't triggered any silly braking or warning assistants yet, while the
GTI constantly wanted to flash it's hazard lights.

Steering is really light, too light to my taste but still nice and precise. Will probably get used to it. Servotronic at speed and in sport+ seems really subtle.

It takes a bit of fiddling with all the controls but once you get it right the driving position is great. Seats and steering wheel are awesome.

Feels a bit stupid getting out of the car with the stereo still on.

While we're on the subject of stereo: I got the Alpine retrofit. Seems to go really loud and there's quite a lot of thump, but midrange sounds muffled. But only listened to the radio for a few minutes, will have a play with settings and a proper source.

PDC not turning off when putting the car in neutral is really silly. Very happy I got front PDC with the magic button.

Extended light package in the interior is really subtle, too subtle for the money really. Yet the 'black panel' backlight is way too bright in my opinion.

I think like the iDrive and (business) Nav.

It smells nice

Overall very happy. Can't wait to drive the car again, but now it's time for a little drink and a bedtime reading of the owner's manual

Some quick pics (sorry for the crappy quality.. I was excited ), will get some better ones later. Yes, also of the exhaust

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Seems your first encounter is not so overwhelmingly positive, although you had very high expectations. So you're a bit stranded with mixed emotions maybe? I guess that the natural benchmark for you is the Golf you where driving for so many miles.

Frankly, the Golf VI GTi is probably the most lauded hot hatch ever world wide. Nevertheless, the Bimmer has the better architecture, has the stiffer build, has the better driveline, has the better engine, has the better ergonomics, has the better, etc, etc. I wouldn't expect a disruptive WOW experience just now, but when you have the chance to get in the Golf again after a year or two, you'll be surprised to experience how the Golf will disappoint you, and not only a little bit...

I never had a WOW going upwards, but when I got back downward... man... what a shocking dreadful experience!

Concerning the turbo lag you mention, I have a problem believing that you feel the lag more than in a tuned GTi. Are you sure?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
papertiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11, F36

Congrats with a brilliant car!
Seems you have some mixed feelings after driving it a bit. Let me put it this way - it gets better every mile you drive it!
Really impressive the car got to the dealer a month before schedule!

We got our F20 116i M sport EB two weeks ago (was told a lead time of 6 weeks from order date, got it after 5 weeks!), and I like it better and better. The engine feels better than a week ago, the suspension feels better - all is actually better. I haven't revved it over 4,5k rpm yet (following the User Manual instruction regarding break-in driving), but can't wait until I can drive the shit out of it!

Will definitely go for another BMW - F30 touring maybe, when the lease period is over. What km/year, deposit and monthly lease price do you have for your 125i?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #10
DRIVE'R
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i

Hey RIckk!

Congrats on your new ride, looks like million $!

Please post some videos of the M performance exhausts, since there is like non on YT.
I would really appreciate it.

Take care!
      11-23-2012, 02:15 AM   #11
rickk
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys, and don't worry, I'm happy, I'm just not a very excitable person and the GTI has set the bar very high!

Quote:
Concerning the turbo lag you mention, I have a problem believing that you feel the lag more than in a tuned GTi. Are you sure?
No, not yet. Keeping the boost high in the GTI has ofcourse become second nature so I hardly notice the lag in there. It's likely to become the same in the 125i. But if you go looking for turbo lag, you'll find it.

Quote:
What km/year, deposit and monthly lease price do you have for your 125i?
It's a company car. 26000/4, no deposit, full operational lease for 950E / month. But I wonder how these figures will help you since I'm not in Norway

Quote:
Please post some videos of the M performance exhausts, since there is like non on YT.
I know! I already tried to capture some sound but my phone messes it up big time. I'll see if I can find a better camera, but I'm afraid you'll have to be patient..

And now I'm off for some more DRIVING!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 02:19 AM   #12
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertiger View Post
The engine feels better than a week ago, the suspension feels better - all is actually better. I haven't revved it over 4,5k rpm yet (following the User Manual instruction regarding break-in driving), but can't wait until I can drive the shit out of it!
Don't get your hopes up. At 4500 you have already tasted the maximum power. It just seems to fade slightly on its way to the rev limiter.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 02:31 AM   #13
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Mooi ding Rick, feli! Heb 'm ook zo besteld, maar dan met dat andere torretje

I guess the registration in nov '12 is what the leasecompany wanted?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 02:35 AM   #14
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickk View Post
In any case, it's quick, but the GTI (chipped) feels a bit faster. This might also be caused by the sound and the added drama caused by a lack of frontend grip.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 03:15 AM   #15
papertiger
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Don't get your hopes up. At 4500 you have already tasted the maximum power. It just seems to fade slightly on its way to the rev limiter.
Maybe so... It's a shame, but for normal driving, I feel it's better to have an engine with good torque in low revs, than an engine you'll have to chase to the red mark to get a respectable acceleration.

Quote:
It's a company car. 26000/4, no deposit, full operational lease for 950E / month. But I wonder how these figures will help you since I'm not in Norway
Just wondered - i know it's not comparable, but interesting to see what the 1 series with larger engines costs outside Norway
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #16
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Maybe so... It's a shame, but for normal driving, I feel it's better to have an engine with good torque in low revs, than an engine you'll have to chase to the red mark to get a respectable acceleration.
The engine doesn't feel very sporty, but the car is surprisingly fast. I don't really miss more power. I would have liked more engine braking, though. You are probably familiar with the Rennfast tunnels. I have to use second gear downhill to avoid flashes from the speed cameras.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #17
papertiger
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
The engine doesn't feel very sporty, but the car is surprisingly fast. I don't really miss more power. I would have liked more engine braking, though. You are probably familiar with the Rennfast tunnels. I have to use second gear downhill to avoid flashes from the speed cameras.
Yeah, I've noticed that myself when going downhill in Rennfast and Byfjord. I used 3rd gear downhill, but had to touch the brakes now and then, so 2nd gear would probably be better.

Uphill was excellent though! Used 5th gear in 80 km/h, and just accelerated and passed the cars I wanted to pass without any problems or changing down to 4th or 3rd gear. What is it - 8% climb?

Sorry for the OT, rickk!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 05:57 AM   #18
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Rickk
The 125i is a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Comfort (Dr Jekyll) Is a softer feel and a very small amount of turbo lag can be noticed if provoked from the start. You must remember that the 8 speed starts off in 2nd when you have comfort or eco selected.

Sport / Sport plus mode (Mr Hyde) 'preferred driving selection' will definately give you the answers you seek. This is where 125i m Sport shows it superiority over a Golf (as good as they are)

Try this; select 'Sport' mode, push the stick over into the manual side and use the paddles and give it full throttle.

If you can keep the revs in the late 2's up to full spin it is pure joy. Have fun

Then you can tell us if you like it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #19
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Just wondered - i know it's not comparable, but interesting to see what the 1 series with larger engines costs outside Norway
Mine starts from € 54.5k and with some goodies € 62.5k (F21 M135iA EB)

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #20
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

Alpine audio hey.... what's the part number?

just chopped in my 325d w/ Alpine for an F21, is it possible to transfer?!

EB w/ Black M Sport, good call, snap!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #21
rickk
Private First Class
Rep

EB F21 125i M-Sport - Impressions after one week

So, one week and 1000 km down the road, I'm really falling in love with this car. I now even think it looks good

Time for some more random ramblings:

To start off with the most controversial point: I still miss the GTI's "cheap kicks". The much louder (and better sounding) engine, bouncy ride, lack of grip and the aggressive throttle response of the GTI just made it easier to get a kick out of.

Maybe the rumoured MPP tune will help, but I to be honest I think it would take something like a 320bhp inline 6 to solve all my problems If you're considering a 125i but can stretch your budget to the M135i I think you really should.

But.. in 125i guise there's still much to like over the GTI and I have no regrets.

For starters it might be about as fast as the GTI on paper, but having so much more grip I think it'll be much faster in a lot of circumstances. Seems to pull harder above 200 km/h too. This car can fly!

And ofcourse there's the joys of RWD! I'm still running it in, but the road is getting slippery here, and the little drifts that sport+ allows make me giggle like a girl on each roundabout I'm getting winter tyres fitted next week, can't wait to take it out to play in the snow!

Steering, while definitely not up to E46 levels of feedback, is nice, and probably as good as it's going to get in these early EPS days. Very light though, even in Sport, I really don't understand the people complaining that it's not light enough...

As I never thought the GTI was particularly uncomfortable, I'm really surprised by how much I appreciate the extra comfort and refinement of the F21 on the daily commute. Those seats, that steering wheel, the ride.. It's just so easy and relaxing to drive. Downside of this is that it's also way too easy to drive irresponsibly, steering with one finger, playing with the iDrive while flying through traffic at highly illegal speeds...

Another surprise is the extended lighting pack. Would never have ordered it separately, but came with one of the packages and I'm surprised by how much I appreciate it. The ambient lights (the colored ones) are a bit too weak to make a real impression, but the other lighting, especially those on the doors are really nicely executed and really finish off the posh look at night. The lights on the doorhandles are even useful to judge the distance of the door to objects when getting out in small parking spaces.

Also surprised with Eco Pro mode.. it's actually quite nice in heavy traffic, as it makes it easy to drive just as slow as everyone around you.

Eco Pro also showed me how much torque this engine really has. You can drive 60 in 6th gear and when you put your foot down the car will still accelerate at an acceptable rate, no problem.

I'm not a an Eco Pro myself yet though, consumption seems to be a little better than 10l/100 km which is the same as the GTI.

ASS is not as bad as I expected it to be. Sometimes it annoys me and when it does I just turn it off.

Engine is really busy on cold start and has a rather uneven idle, but I somehow quite like it. Reminds me a bit of the E30 325i's idle that would also never really settle down. Also like that the engine really rocks the car you rev it.

Another thing that reminds me of the E30 is that you constantly see the bonnet through your windscreen

Engine bay itself is a disappointment, looks really messy and cheap with wires, hoses and gizmos randomly scattered around the unpainted insides. I'm sure this makes perfect eco(nomic) sense, but it's best left closed

Rain sensor is a bit slow but I really like the fact that unlike other cars you can manually trigger an extra wipe without quitting auto mode.

Still getting to grips with the indicator stalk. I'm frequently triple-blinking when I shouldn't, or blinking continuous when I want to triple-blink, or the indicator turns off on me on roundabouts. But I think I will eventually get it and luckily, unlike many other cars, you can quickly cancel any mistakes by tapping the stalk again.

Speed limit info... it's kind of fun to see what kind of signs it can pick up and so far I'm impressed, I'd say it's 90% accurate, if not more.

I miss the water temp meter at times. It would be nice if you could just view it in iDrive (much more useful than the stupid "sport dials" if you ask me), but to be honest I secretly hope BMW or some tuner will one day reprogram the consumption swing-o-meter below the rev counter to be an oil temperature meter in Sport like in the M cars of old

Business Nav/iDrive is a bit clumsy and quirky at times, especially the music playing part, but on the whole I think it's a nice system. I like the fact that after a while most actions will be stored in your "muscle memory" and that the screen is up high, so you don't need to take your eyes off the road that much. VW's touchscreen in the center of the dash suddenly seems a lot less safe to me. Also like the Nav instructions on the "black panel".

The Alpine retrofit sounds really nice after a few days and a play with the settings. Especially the (unchanged) rear speakers seemed to mess with the sound and moving the fader a fair bit forward cleaned things up nicely. Unfortunately the amp switches on and off automatically based on input level, which means that if you don't drive around with the stereo on, you'll miss the first words of Nav guidance or PDC beeps.. bit of an oversight. Apart from that minor annoyance I'm happy I got it and I think it's worth the money.

Still happy with the MPP exhaust, although I must warn those who are sensitive to this that it can drone a bit on the highway. When cruising it's quiet as a mouse, but with the slightest acceleration a deep bassy note fills the cabin. It's really at it's best on cold starts and cruising around town, adds a lot of bass making the car sound quite powerful. On lifting off it can pop a bit at times, which is nice. Unfortunately, at full throttle and high revs it doesn't seem to add much.. N20 still sounds like a hoover to me Yes, I'll try to get some soundclips

Gave the car a wash and a bit of a wax in the garage the other day, must say the car is full of nice lines and details to appreciate, and the bulging rear arches just feel sexy to touch Also noticed that the roof is much lower than the Golf, especially in the rear. Still very happy with Estoril too.

Paint and prep was quite good too, orange peel not excessive (for a modern Euro car), no swirls at all (!!), just some random scratches here and there but all easily correctable. Funnily enough they didn't seem to have put any wax or other sealant on, while I expected that to be the only thing they would do well anyway, just as well with me.

I have a funny issue with the power window controls. As you know, they've moved from the center console to the armrest in the doors, exactly where they were in my GTI. So you would say I'd be used to that, but somehow my mind seems to detect I'm in a BMW and thus I'm instinctively looking for the switch on the center console, consistently changing the driving mode when I want to roll down the window

Perhaps this goes to show that this car, with it's funny looks, electric power steering, 4pot hoover engine, unpainted engine bay, and all other things wrong and Eco still is a real BMW. It has that same undefinable character that my E30, E46 and in fact all other BMWs I've driven have.. I just want to keep driving them. There's something about these cars and I'm a sucker for it

Sorry for the long post without pictures! Will snap some.. soon

Last edited by rickk; 11-30-2012 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #22
rickk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
just chopped in my 325d w/ Alpine for an F21, is it possible to transfer?!
I don't think so. Speaker sizes are different and the system is EQ-ed specially for this car, speakers and radio.
Appreciate 0