BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 120i B48 6MT loss of power

03-27-2024, 11:30 AM   #1
il_ross
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120i B48 6MT

120i B48 6MT loss of power

Hi guys, I have a 120i F20 B48 with manual transmission from 2018 (pre-OPF) with actually 70000km (43000 miles), never a problem except for one thing that happens almost everyday, and it's much greater in winter or as the car is off for 1 day: on cold start, the engine (occasionally, based on the conditions in which it stopped and for how long, generally equal to a day anyway) seems to have no torque at low RPMs. It's not the first time that the car turns off in the middle of an intersection a couple of minutes after starting (I would say not at all pleasant) if I don't accelerate and go ABOVE 2000 rpm while the clutch is still engaged (despite this, loss of power when the clutch releases completely can be felt). When it stalls, everything is ok when you turn it back on. Today, as on other occasions, just letting the car get out of the garage BY releasing the clutch (ground level) resulted in a sensational loss of power (the engine drops to 400 rpm, if I don't engage the clutch again it logically shuts off). All this immediately after the cold start procedure (i.e. after the wasgate closes etc), since I generally wait for it to finish. After a couple of km everything is ok. it even happened 2/3 times that, while at the stop or red light in neutral, there was a sudden drop up to 3/400 rpm that was immediately recovered by the DME which got it back to 700.
Btw the idle from standstill is still overall stable, it does not feel jerky, in cold start it rises up to 1300 rpm and then drops to 900, and stabilizes at 700 at the end of the procedure.
There is no engine light, no messages in the CID, and in the DME with BimmerLink nothing noteworthy is reported, other than the errors that I indicate below.
The car is stock, I only fitted an aftermarket exhaust (but the catalyst is still there).
I replaced the spark plugs 3 days ago (after 30.000km (18.000 miles) from the latest substitution) but nothing changed, the older ones were all like this (check also the photo attached for real colors).
BMW said that there's nothing wrong with the car, that the problem may be the DME software, so to get an engine software tune outside (like a stage 1) or a Software update in BMW itself to try getting it fixed.

Codes in DME "Error memory" from bimmerlink:

CDB604
Description:
FA-CAN, message (terminals, 0x12F): missing
Mileage:
69.233km
Error symptom:
-
Error status:
Error not present currently but stored
Error sverity:
Error would not cause a warning indicator
Codes in DME "Info memory" from bimmerlink:

CDA506
Description:
FA- / LP-CAN, message (services 19 from EGS): missing
21A026
Description:
Combustion engine: abnormal key / MSA start detected

I checked using Torque and I have some misfires in all the cylinders even after changing the spark plugs, but I've been told to not worry about them because some are ok on these engines, in particular with a manual transmission.

MID:$a2 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 1 Data
Max: 65,535Count Min: 0Count
Test result value: 3 Count
PASS
----
MID:$a3 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 2 Data
Test result value: 5 Count
PASS
----
MID:$a4 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 3 Data
Test result value: 8 Count
PASS
----
MID:$a5 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 4 Data
Max: 65,535 Count Min: 0 Count
Test result value: 5 Count
PASS

What should I do in your opinion?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0