BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Hot Air Issue 116i

10-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
SuperBin
Rep
Drives: 116i Urban Midnight Blue

Hot Air Issue 116i

Looking for confirmation whether this is an issue or not:
I drive a 116i with manual AC in China. In all my cars I like to leave the fan on for fresh air then adjust for heat or turn on the AC if required. This is particularly necessary in China with the pollution and keeping windows closed, the bmw’s cabin filter was one of the attractions to the car. In this car it seems that the ventilation air temp depends on the engine temp though as after driving for a while the air will get really hot forcing me to turn the AC on even when it’s cold outside. This occurs after at least 15-20 mins of driving, the air is normal temp initially, and the left temp knob is turned completely towards cool/blue.

I’ve never had this issue in previous cars, they always circulate ambient air temp just as any fan would. I’ve had some issues with the dealer here so don’t really trust them when they say this is how all BMWs are and wanted to check in with you guys if this is really the case?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 12:47 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I have the automatic AC, in which there are two ways to affect the air temperature. One is to set the wanted temperature, and the other is an additional knob directly at the front and rear center inlets. Do you also have extra knobs like that?

Is the temperature in all inlets the same, or does this apply only to the center inlets?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 01:29 AM   #3
SuperBin
Rep

Thanks for the reply. Is the extra knob directly below the hazard lights button in your car? If so I think this is only for the auto AC versions. My car doesn't have that and doesn't have vents in the rear either. Found these images below with the manual vs auto set up.
The hot air is blowing equally from all vents and the only way to stop it is turn the fan off or turn the AC on. It only happens when the car has been driven for a while.
If you turn everything onto cold and turn off the AC (so car is just pulling air in from outside without AC cooling) is your car blowing hot or ambient air temps through the vents?

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 02:53 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Yes, the knob is not under the hazard light button. I have had the AC on permanently since the car was new, so I don't know about the vent temperature without it. I will see if I can test it one day.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 03:23 AM   #5
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

I thought the manual AC doesn't have a cabin filter.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
SuperBin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
I thought the manual AC doesn't have a cabin filter.
Mate don't tell me that! I was thinking that could be one explanation as i know the filter housing sits in the engine bay and may be getting heated during city driving. Have done a quick search but can't find anything to confirm it, where'd you learn that? I'll take a look at the car later.

Looks like you're correct, manual says under servicing for auto ac replace microfilter. Fantastic, another misinformation from our dealer.

Last edited by SuperBin; 10-10-2014 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBin View Post
Mate don't tell me that! I was thinking that could be one explanation as i know the filter housing sits in the engine bay and may be getting heated during city driving. Have done a quick search but can't find anything to confirm it, where'd you learn that? I'll take a look at the car later.

Looks like you're correct, manual says under servicing for auto ac replace microfilter. Fantastic, another misinformation from our dealer.
My 2012 116i did not have a cabin filter with its manual AC you only have this function with auto ac as you have read in the manual.

You always have to do your own home work. All dealers are hopeless all over the world BMW are better than most. Jeep would have to be the worst. You have to double check everything in writing.

Last edited by Kiwi; 10-10-2014 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #8
SuperBin
Rep

Yep I missed that one, not easy to pick up just a single line in the manual. Dealers are on a whole new level of hopeless over here though don't get me started.

After talking to several owners with the manual AC they all tell me the air is warm to hot unless they turn on the AC. So it must be a design issue and apparently it's the same on the 3 series too. Do you have the same experience Kiwi?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 03:19 AM   #9
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Yep I missed that one, not easy to pick up just a single line in the manual. Dealers are on a whole new level of hopeless over here though don't get me started.

After talking to several owners with the manual AC they all tell me the air is warm to hot unless they turn on the AC. So it must be a design issue and apparently it's the same on the 3 series too. Do you have the same experience Kiwi?
It's not a design issue it's something you have to accept when buying a entry level car.
At least you have ac which I hardly ever used as I drive with the window down when I can. I now have a M Sport but still never use its auto ac even in summer I only use ac when the interior screen fog's up.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
SuperBin
Rep

The design issue I am referring to is the fact that the ventilation system itself is exposed to heat - I assume from the engine. I've owned around 7 cars and this is the first that blows warm to hot air without turning on the heater (check my op).

It's something I can live with but I was so surprised I thought it was a problem with my car, or an incorrect setting etc. Turns out in this case the dealer is correct and they are all like this.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #11
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I remember a 1979 Volvo 244DL I had. In that car, you could open a vent directly in from a hole near the driver side front wheel. Very convenient on warm days.

Maybe you can modifiy the ambient air intake by insulating it from the engine heat? There are available cold air intake solutions for the engine, so maybe something similar would work for the cabin as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

I have a manual AC and I don't really experience the issue: after driving more than 30 minutes (more than an hour sometimes) with AC off, heater off, windows closed the cabin air feels of ambient (cool) temperature. Yet, taking it strictly, it does get slightly warmer than the outside after a prolonged drive. So it must be the ambient temperature that matters: in cool weather (around +10 C) it's all right, when it's warm/hot outside I do use the AC always.

Quote:
Kiwi: I thought the manual AC doesn't have a cabin filter.
Of course, there's always a cabin air filter. Did you really expect BMW to make you breathe the dust? That would be just inhuman.

Let's look at the manual: http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/attac...3&d=1355853796.

Page 117, Climate | Air conditioning | Mircrofilter:

Quote:
the microfilter filters dust and pollen from the air
versus

Page 120, Climate | Automatic air conditioning | Microfilter/activated charcoal filter:

Quote:
the microfilter/activated carbon filter filters dust, pollen and harmful gases from the air
The only difference is the technology: activated charcoal filter for the auto AC is better (and more expensive). People say they are interchangeable. (I did not mind it myself when getting mine changed. Just watched the procedure to make sure they really did it. And it was there.)

Here's how to find out if it's there in the car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2W4iAJ7IZY.

And here's the manual if you want to explore/change it yourself (VERY awkward to do, I finally had to pay): http://catalog.mann-filter.com/media...g/HBsgWmHb.pdf. If changing the filter yourself, please mind it's proper ("air flow") positioning.

Happy driving!

Last edited by No one; 10-12-2014 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 04:58 AM   #13
SuperBin
Rep

Thanks 'No One' for clearing that up. I'll definitely look into swapping to the carbon microfilter when it comes time to change. Pollution is so bad here we're wearing face masks some days so any additional filtering would be beneficial.

Ovekvam I understand your solution I'm just surprised it wasn't part of the cars design to isolate the ventilation system as it seems to be on most vehicles. Anyway as I said it is something I can live with I was more concerned that there was something wrong with the car such as the heater blend door etc.

No One, in 10C a bit of warm air would be OK but I'm getting hot air (similar temp to running the heater on full) on 18-22'c days. It's not really hot enough to warrant AC otherwise but unless I want the windows down or to slow roast I need to keep turning the AC on and off to keep the hot air at bay.

Loving the car otherwise and appreciate everyone's input.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
I was more concerned that there was something wrong with the car such as the heater blend door etc.
You can test it by turning the temperature knob towards red, to apply the heater: the temperature should further increase, I believe (the heater must be more effective than just the engine "nearby"). Also you can try to control the engine temperature by driving moderately (don't rev. it high, constantly). The engine cooling system (generally controlled by the computer) could be revised to make sure the operating temperature is no higher (still within the limit) than it should be - this is unlikely, of course.

Quote:
I need to keep turning the AC on and off to keep the hot air at bay.
Do you really need that? (It's unlikely you can save a fortune or anything that way...) Please notice that you can apply both the AC and the heater in conjunction for the constant comfort temperature: with the AC on don't hold yourself from using the temperature knob to make it warmer, as you like. I do use this technique and I do believe (not knowing for sure) this is the way auto AC works (disengaging AC just when appropriate, not toggling constantly). No harm can be expected anyway as heating and cooling are separate systems: you just mix up the cooled, ambient and heated air streams to your taste. (No manual violation either.)

Another note for those who might be missing it: the "AC (cooling) on" is a must for comfortable "recirculated air" mode usage in high humidity conditions (rain, etc.) to avoid moisture condensation on windows (AC not only cools but dries the air too). Everything(?) the auto AC offers (except for double zone) is available with the manual AC: you only have to control it yourself.

Happy driving!

Last edited by No one; 10-13-2014 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #15
SuperBin
Rep

Quote:
You can test it by turning the temperature knob towards red, to apply the heater: the temperature should further increase,
It's the same temp, as i said it's very hot. This isn't constant just happens occasionally and doesn't seem to be related to driving conditions.

Quote:
Do you really need that? (It's unlikely you can save a fortune or anything that way...)
I was exaggerating, just annoys me as it isn't optimally efficient and not what I expected from BMW. It also seems odd that the eco pro mode supposedly optimises the climate control but it has this integral inefficiency.

Anyway my original question is certainly answered, nothing wrong with my car. Appreciate the input and for confirming it does have a cabin filter, was in trouble with the mrs on that one!!
Appreciate 0