BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > My lowly M135i

05-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #23
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Notice that the engine management will automatically go to Comfort mode when you select DSC Off, no matter what mode it used to have before.

The e-diff feature is only working with DSC Off.
I read an article on Bimmerfile, that goes through all the settings and modes, and in one paragraph, it says that the E Diff does work in Traction mode, so im wondering if it does work in Sport + mode, as this switches it into Traction control mode ?, quite confusing, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #24
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

DTC and Sport+ behaves the same, but I don't think the e-diff is active. I get plenty of wheelspin on one wheel only in those modes. To get up a really slippery slope, I select DSC Off.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I have been testing this quite a lot. And I have also read on a few sources online that it only works with DSC disabled.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #25
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
DTC and Sport+ behaves the same, but I don't think the e-diff is active. I get plenty of wheelspin on one wheel only in those modes. To get up a really slippery slope, I select DSC Off.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I have been testing this quite a lot. And I have also read on a few sources online that it only works with DSC disabled.

Certainly there is a huge difference in traction between Sport/Sport+ and DSC Off in my M135i.

It feels rather like it has a LSD in DSC-Off mode, you need to use a lot more throttle to get it out of shape, it's far more progressive also. In Sport, and moreso Sport+ it abruptly snaps sideways as it spins up then the DSC and TC intervene suddenly.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 03:19 AM   #26
Simon H
Major
Rep

So, if you have it in sport, you can then switch DSC off, and have the E Diff working ?, and have the throttle response etc ?. I think this would be the best aggressive setting, as in sport + you cannot turn the E Diff on ?, a little head scratching going on here, thankyou, Simon.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 03:27 AM   #27
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
So, if you have it in sport, you can then switch DSC off, and have the E Diff working ?, and have the throttle response etc ?. I think this would be the best aggressive setting, as in sport + you cannot turn the E Diff on ?, a little head scratching going on here, thankyou, Simon.
No, when you disable DSC, Comfort engine mapping is selected automagically.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 03:58 AM   #28
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Could've been wrong I have a feeling the suspension is in comfort too. I have been testing out on some roads that are not so well paved. Other tests/opinion?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #29
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

No, suspension stays in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 03:07 AM   #30
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i & Cayenne V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
There's not that much difference in throttle response between Comfort and Sport in this setting, ie, it's not like EcoPro, so there's lots of fun still to be had.
Though I still haven't gotten a chance to try the e-diff off function properly yet (waiting to get up to my favorite tight mountain roads), this morning I did get a chance to push the car pretty hard through a fairly challenging 15km stretch of more softly winding highway up and down a mountain pass, and have to say I was VERY impressed with how the steering hardens up and sharpens at high speeds. Was only driving at about 8/10ths (maybe 150-180 kph), trying to get a feel for the car's balance but always felt very confident of where the car was and how it would react as I shifted between turns and thought the kind of feedback I was getting through the steering wheel (weight, tension, connected feel with the chassis and road) was truly top class. This is definitely one of those cars that "wakes up" and shows off its stuff when you start pushing it hard... Fun!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 03:51 AM   #31
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

If you go back on the throttle in a corner with a RWD car, one of three things will happen:

- Weight shifts to the back, no wheelspin, car starts to push wider while accelerating.
- Weight shifts to the back, inside wheelspin, car pushes even wider. Poor acceleration.
- Both rear wheels spin. Car makes a smoking powerslide.

With a real, mechanical LSD, the middle thing is not likely to happen, so you select between the two other options by how hard you hit the throttle, and how powerful engine you bought.

With an open differential, the middle option is very likely, and very annoying. That is where the ediff comes into play. Just as the inside wheel starts spinning, the car reacts with the brake on that wheel only. This creates an unbalanced force distribution on the rear tyres. Due to laws of physics, this causes a yaw torque on the car, trying to rotate the car into the corner. Very conveniently, this cancels out the understeer that would otherwise happen in this situation.

If you are used to driving with an open differential, you will be surprised by how early you can go hard on the throttle without going wide. It stays fairly balanced and shoots out of the corner with pretty good traction. If you have enough power, you can even make the transition to a powerslide if you want.

Compared to a real, mechanical LSD, it is slightly less smooth and predictable. It does its thing in a more delayed and digital way. You have to learn to trust the system instead of driving by feel. Just step on it and let the car work the magic. Be ready to compensate with the steering.

The same thing goes for braking. The car has some awesome yaw control systems when you apply the ABS. You can brake late and deeply into corners without spinning out of control. Once again, just keep the foot down hard, and make corrections with the steering wheel, and the car will go exactly where you want it to. If you are used to older cars, the technology has really made huge steps here. Completely new racing lines (early apex into slow sections) are now possible on race tracks due to this.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 04:05 AM   #32
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Quote:
If you go back on the throttle in
- Weight shifts to the back, inside wheelspin, car pushes even wider. Poor acceleration.
Yup, very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 06:26 AM   #33
Simon H
Major
Rep

So, apologies again for this question, is it definite that the E Diff is only active when we totally switch off the DSC, or is it operating when sport + and DTC is selected ? .Sorry im to inept to post the article ive got this from, but it was through bimmerfile.com. dynamic-stability-control-explained. I havent really ragged my car to feel it for myself, as im still taking it easy. Thankyou, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #34
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
So, apologies again for this question, is it definite that the E Diff is only active when we totally switch off the DSC, or is it operating when sport + and DTC is selected ? .Sorry im to inept to post the article ive got this from, but it was through bimmerfile.com. dynamic-stability-control-explained. I havent really ragged my car to feel it for myself, as im still taking it easy. Thankyou, SIMON.
I can not say for sure, but it is my opinion that the ediff is only active with DSC Off, and not in Sport+ or DTC mode. But if you try to push the car to the limit with stability control partly enabled, it will interfere quite a lot anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 07:47 AM   #35
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i & Cayenne V6

Quote:
If you go back on the throttle in a corner with a RWD car, one of three things will happen:

- Weight shifts to the back, no wheelspin, car starts to push wider while accelerating.
- Both rear wheels spin. Car makes a smoking powerslide.

With a real, mechanical LSD, the middle thing is not likely to happen, so you select between the two other options by how hard you hit the throttle, and how powerful engine you bought.

With an open differential, the middle option is very likely, and very annoying. That is where the ediff comes into play. Just as the inside wheel starts spinning, the car reacts with the brake on that wheel only. This creates an unbalanced force distribution on the rear tyres. Due to laws of physics, this causes a yaw torque on the car, trying to rotate the car into the corner. Very conveniently, this cancels out the understeer that would otherwise happen in this situation.

If you are used to driving with an open differential, you will be surprised by how early you can go hard on the throttle without going wide. It stays fairly balanced and shoots out of the corner with pretty good traction. If you have enough power, you can even make the transition to a powerslide if you want.

Compared to a real, mechanical LSD, it is slightly less smooth and predictable. It does its thing in a more delayed and digital way. You have to learn to trust the system instead of driving by feel. Just step on it and let the car work the magic. Be ready to compensate with the steering.

The same thing goes for braking. The car has some awesome yaw control systems when you apply the ABS. You can brake late and deeply into corners without spinning out of control. Once again, just keep the foot down hard, and make corrections with the steering wheel, and the car will go exactly where you want it to. If you are used to older cars, the technology has really made huge steps here. Completely new racing lines (early apex into slow sections) are now possible on race tracks due to this.
Superb and very helpful explanation - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #36
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
I'm not sure which car that refers to, but in my M135i (and it seems Ovekvam's 116i)

1. The e-diff is ONLY active in DSC Off mode. As I mentioned above, the car handles quite differently at the limit of its rear grip with DSC Off.

2. When to select Sport+ you reduce the threshold of DSC (stability control) intervention and engage DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) which allows a little more rear wheel slip before making corrections.

Further to this, DSC Off brings Comfort throttle but Sport steering and chassis calibration which I think is certainly the preferable combination.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 04:47 AM   #37
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
I'm not sure which car that refers to, but in my M135i (and it seems Ovekvam's 116i)

1. The e-diff is ONLY active in DSC Off mode. As I mentioned above, the car handles quite differently at the limit of its rear grip with DSC Off.

2. When to select Sport+ you reduce the threshold of DSC (stability control) intervention and engage DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) which allows a little more rear wheel slip before making corrections.

Further to this, DSC Off brings Comfort throttle but Sport steering and chassis calibration which I think is certainly the preferable combination.
Thanks very much,
Great explanation.
Appreciate 0