BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > M Town Tour Sucked

07-30-2023, 01:15 PM   #23
ArthurMorgan
Right to Repair Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 M

Skyline chili is deeply offensive to everything that could be considered chili.

2003 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 02:03 PM   #24
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurMorgan View Post
Skyline chili is deeply offensive to everything that could be considered chili.
It's delicious!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 04:35 PM   #25
koopa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i xDrive

Garage List
I went to the M Town Tour at Kuni BMW in Beaverton, OR and it wasn't exactly what I expected but I still enjoyed it. This was my first time doing a BMW driving event. The staff was pretty nice but I'm not sure exactly how knowledgeable they were or not. I didn't bother with the XM, but I did get to drive the i4 M50i and the M3 Competition (I thought it was xDrive but after reading the other comments maybe it was the RWD).

What surprised me was that they just handed me the keys and told me to go have fun. Each car had it's own predetermined route they wanted you to follow. On those two short 10-15~ minute drives, I did have a lot of fun. First time experiencing the neck breaking torque of an all electric car, which was neat, but an otherwise emotionless experience.

The entire event for me was about 40 minutes. I had to wait 5 minutes to get into the i4, and as soon as I got back the M3 was ready.

My biggest takeaway from the event is how badly I need an M3 in my life.

Last edited by koopa; 07-30-2023 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-31-2023, 08:00 PM   #26
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by koopa View Post
I went to the M Town Tour at Kuni BMW in Beaverton, OR and it wasn't exactly what I expected but I still enjoyed it. This was my first time doing a BMW driving event. The staff was pretty nice but I'm not sure exactly how knowledgeable they were or not. I didn't bother with the XM, but I did get to drive the i4 M50i and the M3 Competition (I thought it was xDrive but after reading the other comments maybe it was the RWD).

What surprised me was that they just handed me the keys and told me to go have fun. Each car had it's own predetermined route they wanted you to follow. On those two short 10-15~ minute drives, I did have a lot of fun. First time experiencing the neck breaking torque of an all electric car, which was neat, but an otherwise emotionless experience.

The entire event for me was about 40 minutes. I had to wait 5 minutes to get into the i4, and as soon as I got back the M3 was ready.

My biggest takeaway from the event is how badly I need an M3 in my life.
Then BMW accomplished the mission!!

Glad to hear it was a good experience for you! Keep your eyes open for a full scale Ultimate Driving Experience. If you enjoyed this one you will definitely like a real UDE!!
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

08-04-2023, 06:10 PM   #27
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I actually enjoyed M Town. The Seattle staff was there to answer any questions. The route kind of sucked but you did get a little bit of the character of the car. I was surprised how well the i4 M50 drove. But nothing made me want to replace my M2.
      08-18-2023, 02:15 PM   #28
co_440i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i

I had a great time this morning at Winslow BMW... drove the M3 Comp, X7 M60i, and IX M60i. The SUVs were actually better than I expected, especially the iX, which was absolutely insane to push hard. The technology was all very impressive, and the idrive 8 is really not as bad as people are freaking out about. The M3 was definitely the best to drive, especially with the M Performance exhaust, which sounded great.

The registration guys were very blah and didn't seem to know much, but the the team that was out with the cars were all very knowledgeable and fun to talk to while waiting for the cars. All in all a very good experience.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2023, 02:43 PM   #29
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

all of these events are big mehs.

Apart from M track days (which is great for someone who never been on a track), or the M school (never done it but seems like a good amount of learning). These however cost money.

I once went to one of those BMW autocross things, thinking it was gonna be ok since Lime Rock park which has an awesome auto x course, its not bs cones, its a mini track. Went there and low and behold, they set up cones on 2 parking lots. Then you would get 3 runs which totaled 1 minute. Then they would try to sell you a car. Then you did 1 minute again, then they tried to sell you a car. They also let you take out some cars but they were all cars I did not really want to drive. So never again... but I guess what was I expecting from a free event (I do appreciate that they have not sent me any junk emails though)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 09:06 AM   #30
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
all of these events are big mehs.

Apart from M track days (which is great for someone who never been on a track), or the M school (never done it but seems like a good amount of learning). These however cost money.

I once went to one of those BMW autocross things, thinking it was gonna be ok since Lime Rock park which has an awesome auto x course, its not bs cones, its a mini track. Went there and lo and behold, they set up cones on 2 parking lots. Then you would get 3 runs which totaled 1 minute. Then they would try to sell you a car. Then you did 1 minute again, then they tried to sell you a car. They also let you take out some cars but they were all cars I did not really want to drive. So never again... but I guess what was I expecting from a free event (I do appreciate that they have not sent me any junk emails though)
You left off two words at the beginning of your post. “In my opinion…” Lots of us have had quite a lot of fun at these events and some of us own BMWs because of them. I’ve been to probably close to 20 of these events and no one has ever tried to sell me a car at a single one. I went to the Susan Komen Drive for the Cure events for six or seven years and that’s how I decided to take the plunge and buy my own BMW. Purely from the driving experience. No sales pitch at all. I feel a little sorry for you that you’re not interested in driving almost every car BMW has in its lineup. I’m not always excited about all of them, but I enjoy the street drives a lot. Where else have you had the opportunity to drive roughly a dozen of a brand’s cars multiple times with no salesman pitching the car to you the whole time?

08-19-2023, 09:29 AM   #31
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
You left off two words at the beginning of your post. “In my opinion…” Lots of us have had quite a lot of fun at these events and some of us own BMWs because of them. I’ve been to probably close to 20 of these events and no one has ever tried to sell me a car at a single one. I went to the Susan Komen Drive for the Cure events for six or seven years and that’s how I decided to take the plunge and buy my own BMW. Purely from the driving experience. No sales pitch at all. I feel a little sorry for you that you’re not interested in driving almost every car BMW has in its lineup. I’m not always excited about all of them, but I enjoy the street drives a lot. Where else have you had the opportunity to drive roughly a dozen of a brand’s cars multiple times with no salesman pitching the car to you the whole time?
Anything I write on a forum is obvious my opinion just like yours is yours.

I have zero interest in driving certain cars. For example I don't care to drive an X3 or an X5 or stuff like that. I don't have to feel sorry for me lol, I have driven enough cars to know I don't care to spend my time drive certain things. I have got loaner BMWs and they are not great to me. I was excited to try the i4 m50 on the auto x but if you are at lime rock and you put cones on a parking lot its just weird to me, not to mention wait 20 minutes each time to drive like 50 seconds. To each their own, they will keep doing these events, you will keep going and I won't. I am good that they exist but to me is a waste of my time (I drove an hour and 15 minutes to get there, which normally I am good with because I get to drive lime rock park, but hour 15 to go drive around cones for less than 2 minutes, pass)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 12:04 PM   #32
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

My experience this year was pretty terrible as well.

Most were only able to drive 1 car within the hour time-slot. Multiple people were sent home after driving just 1 car.

As others mentioned it was a bit confusing, and I saw other customers confused on where to go register, and where to go wait in line etc.. Staff was no help. Also people got skipped in line because the staff wasn't paying attention.

To top if off, they didn't even have the GPS plugged into the navigation like all the previous events I've been to, they literally gave you a physical map like map quest, which had text telling you what streets to turn on LOL

All the previous years were fun and went smooth but this was pretty bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 04:45 PM   #33
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post

Most were only able to drive 1 car within the hour time-slot. Multiple people were sent home after driving just 1 car.

As others mentioned it was a bit confusing, and I saw other customers confused on where to go register, and where to go wait in line etc.. Staff was no help. Also people got skipped in line because the staff wasn't paying attention.

To top if off, they didn't even have the GPS plugged into the navigation like all the previous events I've been to, they literally gave you a physical map like map quest, which had text telling you what streets to turn on LOL

Every time I've been given some type of written directions at one of these events I end up just doing my own thing because it's just too hard to follow them. This isn't MapQuest.

It's usually something like Go 0.7 mi and then turn right on this street. Drive 2.3 mi turn left on this street, etc... Not that following directions should or would be that hard but every time I've tried it it's just too complicated. Not sure if it's something they can program into the GPS but that would certainly be handy if they want us to go a set route.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 05:20 PM   #34
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Every time I've been given some type of written directions at one of these events I end up just doing my own thing because it's just too hard to follow them. This isn't MapQuest.

It's usually something like Go 0.7 mi and then turn right on this street. Drive 2.3 mi turn left on this street, etc... Not that following directions should or would be that hard but every time I've tried it it's just too complicated. Not sure if it's something they can program into the GPS but that would certainly be handy if they want us to go a set route.
When they were doing them at the Arlington Park horse racing track in Chicagoland I figured out my own route and I had a blast!! I had one little section where I would take four tight cloverleaf’s on and off the freeway. It was fun!

08-19-2023, 06:49 PM   #35
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Seattle also had a map handout with the route.
      08-20-2023, 09:59 AM   #36
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

They had a map on mine as well but I didn't really follow it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 10:45 AM   #37
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

My local BMW just had one yesterday. I swung by but it was in the low 90s and I didn't feel like baking in some ugly cars.

I was hoping they'd have some merch but I didn't see any.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 11:50 AM   #38
co_440i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
My local BMW just had one yesterday. I swung by but it was in the low 90s and I didn't feel like baking in some ugly cars.

I was hoping they'd have some merch but I didn't see any.
Yeah the merch for the one I went to was a little black bracelet that we wore to differentiate us from regular customers and some tacky plastic XM license plate bracket, easily the most disappointing part of the event.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17484.50
      08-22-2023, 01:13 PM   #39
Pauldunlop13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

I went to one in Colorado - man - what a (almost) waste of time

I am used to the BMW events they hold at Empower Field, and those things are run like a well oiled machine - pun intended

this one was poorly organized - 2 different booths to line up at - with no real reason why...

I got to drive the iX - which is why it wasn't a total waste - that thing is ridiculously fast! and HUGE

I then asked about the M3 - oh - that is 1.5hrs - which is outside of your time slot.....

there was a good amount of anger from a bunch of people there - so I just drove the iX - then left after that

they know how to run these things - that is why it was so disappointing....
2016 228Xi - 2017-2018
2003 Acura RSX Type S 2003-2017
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 01:57 PM   #40
co_440i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldunlop13 View Post
I went to one in Colorado - man - what a (almost) waste of time

I am used to the BMW events they hold at Empower Field, and those things are run like a well oiled machine - pun intended

this one was poorly organized - 2 different booths to line up at - with no real reason why...

I got to drive the iX - which is why it wasn't a total waste - that thing is ridiculously fast! and HUGE

I then asked about the M3 - oh - that is 1.5hrs - which is outside of your time slot.....

there was a good amount of anger from a bunch of people there - so I just drove the iX - then left after that

they know how to run these things - that is why it was so disappointing....
Where did you go? I went to Winslow last Friday and it was good, not like SUPER smooth, but definitely not poorly organized. I was first in line for the M3, at 10, and could even have gone again if I wanted to. Everybody wanted to drive the X7 and i4.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2023, 01:25 PM   #41
Pauldunlop13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

I don't want to call them out, since everything else about the dealership has been a very good experience for me

maybe the Friday one is the one to go to - as more people may have opted for Sat/Sun
2016 228Xi - 2017-2018
2003 Acura RSX Type S 2003-2017
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 10:01 PM   #42
snareman
United_States
Rep

I did M Track Days this weekend in Indy and it was significantly better.

Appreciate 1
DanG10660.50
      08-30-2023, 08:43 AM   #43
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
I did M Track Days this weekend in Indy and it was significantly better.

M Track Days is a whole lot different experience. They had one in my area (at the Ridge) several years ago. It was a fun time. The format was the same with an auto cross, drag race, and follow the leader track laps.

I definitely would do it again if they are ever in my area again.
      08-30-2023, 09:03 AM   #44
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
M Track Days is a whole lot different experience. They had one in my area (at the Ridge) several years ago. It was a fun time. The format was the same with an auto cross, drag race, and follow the leader track laps.

I definitely would do it again if they are ever in my area again.
It's definitely one of the most affordable driving options they have with price versus experience
Appreciate 1
DanG10660.50