BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > What's with BMW haters?

10-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #23
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

They hate us because they anus
Appreciate 1
ErkanTR16598.00
      10-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #24
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Lets be honest here

Its not as if there arent more than a fair share of BMW drivers that drive like true assholes and that the stereotype has no merit

The same can be said for many larger trucks and ricers and <insert stereotype>

I generally get what I give behind the wheel...but there are exceptions to that rule and the bottom line is that people suck
Appreciate 1
RJ_1202.50
      10-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #25
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: when car isn't broke.

I always wonder if I notice it more when I'm in the BMW because it happens more or I'm just expecting it to. Regardless, doesn't really matter to me what they think.

I was on a two lane on-ramp with a new MB and we both got on the highway in a spirited fashion. I like toying with other car people, but as we started getting up to traffic I could tell it was more competitive than friendly. Not wanting to let me over and stuff like that.

He really seemed like he didn't want to let me pass, so when I eventually got next to him where I knew the road widened up ahead, I looked over with a kind of "nice car" head nod. He says something to his ~15 year old son in the passenger seat, kid looks over at me and starts laughing. Not wanting to be left out, I laugh back at their smug little faces and zip away to my exit. Not wanting to be outdone, he continues running up into triple digits.

Last edited by RJ_; 10-04-2016 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      10-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #26
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Ive noticed resentment as well at gas stations, driving behavior, people really do react negatively to a bmw esp in motion
but this could be that once a driver gets into a bmw, he/she may feel they need to push it
and it comes off as being an arsehole
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      10-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #27
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
I always wonder if I notice it more when I'm in the BMW because it happens more or I'm just expecting it to. Regardless, doesn't really matter to me what they think.

I was on a two lane on-ramp with a new MB and we both got on the highway in a spirited fashion. I like toying with other car people, but as we started getting up to traffic I could tell it was more competitive than friendly. Not wanting to let me over and stuff like that.

He really seemed like he didn't want to let me pass, so when I eventually got next to him where I new the road widened up ahead, I looked over with a kind of "nice car" head nod. He says something to his ~15 year old son in the passenger seat, kid looks over at me and starts laughing. Not wanting to be left out, I laugh back at their smug little faces and zip away to my exit. Not wanting to be outdone, he continues running up into triple digits.
I get this from MBZ drivers all the time in the M6. The i8 tends to make everyone smile...the M6 does not. The aggressive stance of the M6, the visceral sound emanating from the pipes lets everyone know that fuquery is going on under the sedate skin.

I do admit to enjoying the driving experience in BMWs and that presents itself through very enthusiastic driving. Enthusiastic and safe. Will I pass someone given the opportunity, if safe? Absolutely. Will I go out of the way and be a tool bag even though the other driver may be one? Meh...depends. I tend to give back what I get. After the M6 was hit by a careless, skill-free driver and now with the i8 being hit by a texter, I tend to have zero patience with my fellow motorists.

Not the way I want to be but keeping myself and my vehicles safe is more important than someones feelings at this point. Fuq'em.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
RJ_1202.50
      10-04-2016, 12:10 PM   #28
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post

He really seemed like he didn't want to let me pass, so when I eventually got next to him where I new the road widened up ahead, I looked over with a kind of "nice car" head nod. He says something to his ~15 year old son in the passenger seat, kid looks over at me and starts laughing. Not wanting to be left out, I laugh back at their smug little faces and zip away to my exit. Not wanting to be outdone, he continues running up into triple digits.
I get this from MBZ drivers all the time in the M6. The i8 tends to make everyone smile...the M6 does not. The aggressive stance of the M6, the visceral sound emanating from the pipes lets everyone know that fuquery is going on under the sedate skin.

I do admit to enjoying the driving experience in BMWs and that presents itself through very enthusiastic driving. Enthusiastic and safe. Will I pass someone given the opportunity, if safe? Absolutely. Will I go out of the way and be a tool bag even though the other driver may be one? Meh...depends. I tend to give back what I get. After the M6 was hit by a careless, skill-free driver and now with the i8 being hit by a texter, I tend to have zero patience with my fellow motorists.

Not the way I want to be but keeping myself and my vehicles safe is more important than someones feelings at this point. Fuq'em.
Well said.

10-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #29
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

I've never really had this sort of treatment. It's usually the opposite, and most people, even non car folks, seem really into it. My supra was the same, mostly friendly exchanges, nice car comments and thumbs up from folks. Then again I'm quite charming, could be that
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #30
MikeOrmsby
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M Sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 135I  [0.00]
A lot of very solid points in this thread so far. Myself driving a tuned 09 135i at 21 also stirs a lot of shit talk behind my back even though like most of us on here, it was paid for by me myself and I. Unlike most of the people I interact with in the car scene.. that drive built stis and evos from mommy and daddys wallet, most of which hit me with the blinker jokes all the time but none of them can seem to keep up with me so its cool lol
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #31
Spoonman929RR
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
I'm 25, so i get a lot of this. Driving an ~$75k car at my age brings up many assumptions:

1. Mommy and daddy paid for it -- False, but they did pay for my college and i am eternally grateful that i graduated without college debt and hence can afford this car myself.

2. I live at home and spend my entire paycheck -- also false, i own a two family home

I had some guy scream at me saying "how's daddy's car treating you" after i pulled in front of him. Him and his son then both flipped me off. He was driving a 08ish Lexus IS. I chalk it up to jealousy, actually feel bad for the chap
I got a little bit of that being 23 in my 2010 S5. It got annoying really quickly. I'm sure it will be worse when my F80 gets here in 2-3 weeks though. As for the guy screaming at you.. People are just idiots. He's driving an IS. It's not like he doesn't have a nice car.. Maybe not -as- nice, but still nice.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #32
CK64
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
OP I wonder if you think you had some sort of epiphany - this has been happening for a very long time. And I'm sure not just to BMW drivers, but other luxury makes as well.

It's generally jealousy, mixed in with some righteous anger at the small percentage of BMW drivers who are actually jackholes in real life. Welcome to the club, ignore it and move on.
More surprise than an epiphany. Especially since I was driving in a very affluent area where it's not uncommon to see Bentley's, Ferrari's, S-Class MB's and BMW's are a dime a dozen. So, why me? Was that just being in the wrong place at the wrong time? Why in the world would someone go out of their way to yell at someone they don't even know? For all this guy knows, I could be the next person that interviews him for a job...

I think many people here are right about the jealousy part. Maybe a touch of "mad at the world" too.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #33
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

BMWs are expensive cars that are driven more aggressively than most vehicles, so they're bound to get hated on. Plus, the brand attracts a younger and douchier demographic compared to Benz and Audi. Personally, I take pride in the fact that people hate on BMW drivers.

With Bimmers being such capable cars you can really do whatever the h3ll you want. It's a car that's intimidating, flashy, and demands respect.

Personally I dislike pickup truck drivers the most. Their vehicles are generally loud, obnoxious, smelly, ugly, and driven by hillbillies just looking for ways to assert their "dominance" on others. Go ahead pickup lovers, I'm sure that really matters in the grand scheme of life. Personally I would never drive something so unrefined, ugly, and plasticky from inside. The people who actually need pickups seem to be the only ones who drive them in a civil manner.

Last edited by Germanauto; 10-04-2016 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #34
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

And folks wonder where the bmw driver stereotype came from......
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #35
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Quote:
I'm 25, so i get a lot of this. Driving an ~$75k car at my age brings up many assumptions:

1. Mommy and daddy paid for it -- False, but they did pay for my college and i am eternally grateful that i graduated without college debt and hence can afford this car myself.

2. I live at home and spend my entire paycheck -- also false, i own a two family home

I had some guy scream at me saying "how's daddy's car treating you" after i pulled in front of him. Him and his son then both flipped me off. He was driving a 08ish Lexus IS. I chalk it up to jealousy, actually feel bad for the chap
Lol. Dude. You are the stereotype
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #36
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF View Post
Lol. Dude. You are the stereotype
How so?

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 02:51 PM   #37
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i xdrive Coupe

It's mostly a jealously thing. Even when my girl drives my car and I'm not with her she'll say people at a red light in a Toyota try and "race" her at the green, mini vans are notorious for cutting me off and not letting me in lanes, even when my signal is on and I have more than enough room I'll see them speed them.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #38
saleen556
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
BMWs are expensive cars that are driven more aggressively than most vehicles, so they're bound to get hated on. Plus, the brand attracts a younger and douchier demographic compared to Benz and Audi. Personally, I take pride in the fact that people hate on BMW drivers.

With Bimmers being such capable cars you can really do whatever the h3ll you want. It's a car that's intimidating, flashy, and demands respect.

Personally I dislike pickup truck drivers the most. Their vehicles are generally loud, obnoxious, smelly, ugly, and driven by hillbillies just looking for ways to assert their "dominance" on others. Go ahead pickup lovers, I'm sure that really matters in the grand scheme of life. Personally I would never drive something so unrefined, ugly, and plasticky from inside. The people who actually need pickups seem to be the only ones who drive them in a civil manner.
You obviously haven't been in a new truck. My Ford is a joy to drive in the crappy weather. Then the M3 can sit in the garage and I don't worry about an idiot sliding in to me.
Appreciate 1
jpnh1423.50
      10-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #39
DF
Major
Rep

Quote:
How so?
No reason.
Appreciate 1
jpnh1423.50
      10-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #40
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post

Maybe one of these for you.
Name:  th.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  8.2 KB
      10-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #41
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
You obviously haven't been in a new truck. My Ford is a joy to drive in the crappy weather. Then the M3 can sit in the garage and I don't worry about an idiot sliding in to me.
This

Its amazing how gracious drivers get when confronted with an 8,000 lb 1-ton 4x4 xtra cab truck with an 8' bed

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #42
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF View Post
No reason.
Dude...seriously...?

No reason to be an ass

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #43
DF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Dude...seriously...?

No reason to be an ass
A lot of cars have a stereotype attached to them. For better or worse. BMW has a few. You, in my opinion, represent one of them. It's one i've come across since buying my first BMW. It's a massive rationalization needed to justify something that you don't really need to justify to anyone. Let them hate you. Who cares. You don't care what I think and nor should you.
Appreciate 3
jpnh1423.50
RJ_1202.50
MKSixer34184.50
      10-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #44
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: when car isn't broke.

Quote:
Dude...seriously...?

No reason to be an ass
I mean, you mentioned parents paying for school yet act offended for them saying you had help from your parents on the car. $60k for college or $60k for a car is still $60k. Obviously made up numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF
It's a massive rationalization to justify something that you don't really need to justify to anyone.
^
Appreciate 2
jpnh1423.50
DF239.00